• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

PLEASE ADVISE! Overheating / Cooling Fan Issue

To all you mechanical genius on this forum, i have a question.

I had something happen to my car yesterday that's very strange if someone can help explain what it might be.

I have 92 factory motor w/92k. When i got back into my car after it has been idling for about 10 mins after a moderate drive, i notice the temp needle was all the way @ HOT. I DID NOT notice the cooling fan kicking in. This has never happen to me before so I immediately shut off the car.

Today i started the car and let it reach optimal temp again like yesterday. about 25 mins or so the thermostat opened and both radiator hoses warmed up but the temp needle kept climbing past half way point (Still no fan) Then i revved it just alittle bit THEN THE FAN KICKED IN and lowered the temp down. After i let it idle for another 20 mines and fan kicked on/off about 4 more times (which to me is normal)

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME IF ITS A RELAY ISSUE OR WHAT MIGHT BE A PROBLEM?????????????

Seem like whatever sensor used to activate the fan might be faulty. But what sensor or relay??????

thanks,

To all you mechanical genius on this forum, i have a question.

I had something happen to my car yesterday that's very strange if someone can help explain what it might be.

I have 92 factory motor w/92k. When i got back into my car after it has been idling for about 10 mins after a moderate drive, i notice the temp needle was all the way @ HOT. I DID NOT notice the cooling fan kicking in. This has never happen to me before so I immediately shut off the car.

Today i started the car and let it reach optimal temp again like yesterday. about 25 mins or so the thermostat opened and both radiator hoses warmed up but the temp needle kept climbing past half way point (Still no fan) Then i revved it just alittle bit THEN THE FAN KICKED IN and lowered the temp down. After i let it idle for another 20 mines and fan kicked on/off about 4 more times (which to me is normal)

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME IF ITS A RELAY ISSUE OR WHAT MIGHT BE A PROBLEM?????????????

Seem like whatever sensor used to activate the fan might be faulty. But what sensor or relay??????

thanks,
Check the fan motor connector to see if you have power there,if you don't then you have a bad motor or it could be a thermostat going bad and the fan motor doesn't get the input to come on

Check the fan motor connector to see if you have power there,if you don't then you have a bad motor or it could be a thermostat going bad and the fan motor doesn't get the input to come on

Yes the fan has power because it turned on today after i revved it while idling. And the thermostat is good because both hoses are warm. Does the NSX have a fan cooling sensor switch or a relay? If so, anyone have a picture of where it is located

thanks

Last edited:
Was any service done recently that required a coolant drain/fill? Your description says once you rev the engine(get the coolant moving) the fan comes on. That seems to tell me all the electrical stuff is OK, but your coolant system is not circulating well at idle speed. I am thinking also once on the road all is good, since the engine is above idle, true?? Was the timing belt replaced recently?

Was any service done recently that required a coolant drain/fill? Your description says once you rev the engine(get the coolant moving) the fan comes on. That seems to tell me all the electrical stuff is OK, but your coolant system is not circulating well at idle speed. I am thinking also once on the road all is good, since the engine is above idle, true?? Was the timing belt replaced recently?

timing belt was done @ 67k. everything is running excellent on this car. what are the chances of it being a bad fan switch or fan control module?

Cooling fan control unit.

Check the integrity of your head gasket as you said temperature hit the hot side

I've experienced a similar situation. first time it happened was after I replaced my starter. Does that have anything to do with it? It's happened twice now where it will spike to hot while idling... then while driving it fluctuates (up and down the temp gauge), then eventually settling down at normal op-temp.

Larry... could this simply be some air bubbles in the cooling system causing the sensor not to read correctly?

Larry... could this simply be some air bubbles in the cooling system causing the sensor not to read correctly?

This is not LarryB, but yes it is air trapped in the coolant. Use the manual and bleed the system the way the manual says. It is quite simple if you go step by step. Make sure your coolant is always full when bleeding the system to ensure no more air trapped in the system
Good luck and make it a great day

Last edited:
Back