• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

point of custom sub box?

if there's already a sub in the passenger footwell, why the need for a custom sub box? why not just buy a nice aftermarket one that can utilize the available cubic feet? i see a couple of custom boxes people sell, but at $500 its kinda pricey...

It's really a joke to call the "thing" in the footwell a subwoofer.
People don't just upgrade this component by itself - when they go to aftermarket amplifier, - often because the stock components fail, or because they are looking for more audiophilic (is that a word?) quality - then that is usually when a quality sub is installed & requires custom enclosure to enable its capabilities; a subwoofer requires a given enclosed volume behind it to "work" in & the stock unit is inadequate (the stock part is only a 3" speaker so a real 8" or 10" sub will not possiby work effectively in that enclosure space.)

peiserg said:
if there's already a sub in the passenger footwell, why the need for a custom sub box? why not just buy a nice aftermarket one that can utilize the available cubic feet? i see a couple of custom boxes people sell, but at $500 its kinda pricey...

Most people want a better system(more bass). You have to understand, the OEM sub is really small. If you want a larger sub(more bass), you can't just put a larger sub woofer, you can't use the OEM unit to hold it. You have to go aftermarket so that you can fit a larger diameter sub in the footwell.
Kind of like buying 18/19 inch rims and trying to use your stock 16/17 inch Yoko's!? Make sense, or no? :D

Brian2by2 said:
post some links to "how-to's" or where to buy these aftermarket sub components???? thanks! :)

I just took mine out the other day because it doesn't work.
You can't simply replace it with a new sub, regardless of whether it's in a new enclosure or not - needs an amplifier to go along with it.
Unless you're planning to replace the door speakers too, you'd be better off just having the Bose amp repaired.

D'Ecosse said:
You can't simply replace it with a new sub, regardless of whether it's in a new enclosure or not - needs an amplifier to go along with it.
Unless you're planning to replace the door speakers too, you'd be better off just having the Bose amp repaired.

Why is that? You can't replace just the sub and put in a new amp?? I thought the door speakers ran off an independent amp? The bose one sucked so i wanted to get an after market 8" or 10" sub

Yes, technically if you want to you can replace the sub with its own amp to run it. Space is a premium in the NSX so it makes more sense to run a 4-channel amp that can drive the doors and the sub. You also would typically only use the right & left o/ps from the stock head, & feed those into the 4 channel & set up the appropriate bandpass filters to suit each component. If you run the stock "sub" o/p you are limited to work with whatever the head decides is appropriate for the stock Bose. You will probably not have a very complemenatry system w/o matching up to some bigger door speakers but if all you want is the BOOM!BOOM! sound, you can do what you plan.

I have mb-quart speakers replacing all factory units,also xtra tweetrs in the doors. The amp is a rockford fosgate punch 300-x,the cd-changer is an alpine 6-disk. The car has clear sound ,and plenty of bass!

My system:

8" JL audio sub behind driver seat (I drive short by am 5'10)
6" JL audio sub in custom dash encloser
6" JL audio mids (door)
2" JL highs (door)
2" polk audio mids (above and behind seats)
1" polk audio highs (above and behind seats)
500w pheniox gold amp (5 channel)
480w PPI amp (4 channel)
Voodoo capacitor 1 farad
4 guage wire all around with spiral RCAs
gold fused connectors all around
Alpine 7998 1.5 sized fold away din head unit
Harmon Kardon cx-01 8 band crossover

So freaking sweet, did it all myself; so I know it is right.

Tommy

that sure is alot of speakers in such a little cockpit....I'd love to see pics too!

WOW MAN!! THat is one major system! I must see the pics!!!

I am pretty happy right now....I just got my stock system replaced...I got JL XR speakers in the doors (2 way, mids and highs)......and a 8 inch Kicker Comp VR sub in the passenger floor board in a custom box...I had a bigger 8 inch (Fosgate HX2 but it didnt have the full range of bass in the smaller enclosure)....its powered by a 4 channel 550 Watt Fosgate Amp behind the passenger seat....and a Clarion 6 disk changer in the glove box...with the changer faceplate mounted almost perfectly into the ash tray space....its FM modulated so I keep the factory OEM look...pretty cool huh?

1 Question though: I couldnt find how to replace or disconnect the middle speaker....its blown and gives off that shitty static sound in the background...anyone have any diagrams...or anything....thats the only flaw with my system.....

If you replaced the Bose Sub Amp/Speaker enclosure then the center speaker should be silent since it is that amp that powers it.

Maybe your installer hooked up the speaker leads somewhere by mistake.

Its pretty easy to remove. Just look at the online service manual.

Back