• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Possible new nsx owner!!!!

Hello everyone.

I'm looking at a 1991 berlinetta black nsx.

Its got 98k miles on it.

Clean title

Clean in and out.

Rebuilt trans at 85k.

02-05 OEM nsx wheels

Automatic

And my buddy is selling it to me for 21500

Is this worth the price? Would I be able to sell it for the same amount of money if I decided I wanted to get something else a couple months down the line.

I know the wheels alone are 3k

I feel like this is a really good price but maybe some reassurance would help.

Thanks guys!!!

If it's as you say clean in and out and clean title then yes it's a good price, remember autos are not as desirable, but $21k for any clean NSX is always a good deal. However, if your are already thinking about getting something else in a couple of months then don't bother buying it. Even if you sell it at the same price you will lose a couple thousand on registration, sales tax, initial maintenance, etc. Test drive it plenty since it's your friend's and make sure you buy it to keep it, not to flip it.

agreed auto will take the fun out of the NSX experience and then your gonna say I had an NSX once, but I liked the 2014 Nissan Altima better it had more HP LOL

VS

I had a 5-speed NSX and it was bad ass, I should have never sold it.

I can definitely tell you're excited. I can't think of a single reason why would anyone get NSX with automatic transmission. Unless it's due to medical condition that prevents you from having a manual.

I had an automatic NSX for 1.5 years and enjoyed every moment until the tranny started acting up. If the tranny was recently rebuilt and you continue to maintain it then it'll last you.

This sounds like Patrick's car that has been on CL for sometime. He's a straight shooter and the car seemed to be in good condition. Get a PPI done, buy it, and commit to owning it for at least a year so that you can really enjoy it. If you're really concerned about the money you've got in the car sell the wheels for 3k and buy a cheaper set with great tires.

Sure the 5spd is a lot of fun and I'm hoping to go manual for my next NSX but an NSX is really an NSX and you'll love it just the same. Finding an entry point into the NSX market at 21.5 or 18.5k without wheels for a 5spd that is in good condition up to date on maintenance is going to be difficult.

Do it but don't go in planning to sell in 3 months. Agreed that it's not worth the hassle with registration.

Asif

Found out tranny was replaced with a new one.

Timing belt water pump replaced at 85k miles.

New brakes new ac

New reupholstered seats

And I would prefer manual but I'm sure I won't find one for this price ever.

I think I'm gonna get it. Thanks guys any final thoughts

- - - Updated - - -

I really enjoy the looks of the car the driving experience is an added bonus.

I mean I think the car is a headturner but is it?

If you purchase an NSX you might consider raising your liability and medical insurance on your auto.

Lots of NSX owners note LBS (Look Back Syndrome) and issues with breaking necks.

It depends where you live... areas where it is extremely rare to see an NSX in the WILD only increases the risk of LBS and neck breaking. :biggrin:

PS. $21,500 is a great price for a nice NSX. Even an AT.

With the description you have provided ('02 wheels, NEW transmission, updated maintenance with most normal, early NSX issues addressed) this is almost a GIFT at $21.5k. Even with the downside of an automatic, this is a terrific deal. The only major maintenance issue not mentioned was coolant hose replacement. If they are original, count on close to $2k for a complete (23 hose) replacement - probably sooner than later. This may have been done by now (after 22 years) Granted 5 and 6 speed manual NSX's provide a much higher level of driving experience - but you may actually appreciate the automatic if used as a daily driver in the Chicago area. Sell the set of '02 wheels and replace with some nice aftermarket alloys. Spend the balance on any needed maintenance - and don't look back.

I say buy it - enjoy it - and don't look back.

due to the rims alone makes it an ideal purchase but automatic is just not as desirable to many, good luck with whatever you decide.

Selling it will be difficult as the current owner can attest to. He has had it on the market for the past year at least. Don't buy it expecting to flip it in a month or two.

As had been said before, $21.5K is a great price if the car is as you've described. The NSX even as an automatic is still rare, though not as desirable to most sports car aficionados, and will definitely turn heads. Also, it will still be a blast to drive on curvy roads as it is still an NSX suspension that can be upgraded to make it more fun. But I'm afraid that engine modification will be very limited so you will have to just accept the lower HP. All in all, you will likely never find a traditional automatic tranny car that will be as much fun. Buy it and enjoy it.

Back