• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Powdercoating Valve Covers

Now I know how Mike Niday must have felt when he put that first chrome piece on...

I'm looking at whats blue and what's not, and it just doesnt look right now.... so..... now I'm painting the Dali coolant overflow bottle, fuse box and air box covers, fuel pump resistor and alternator. That should really just leave the throttle body as the only ugly greyish metal part left. That's way beyond my skills to disassemble... actually it's probably not, it's really way beyond my skills to REASSEMBLE
smile.gif

Originally posted by robr:
I'm looking at whats blue and what's not, and it just doesnt look right now....

That should really just leave the throttle body as the only ugly greyish metal part left

...along with the fenders, the hood, the trunk lid, the bumpers... (hint hint)
biggrin.gif

Originally posted by robr:
are you trying to say you dont like sebring silver?!?!?! :p

No, I'm saying that you seem to like blue, and you can go further with that theme.

I told Picasso the same thing.

i cant afford to take the theme that far
smile.gif
. tell you what, let me practice with my spray paint on your car first.

I remember seeing Niday's car years ago when he only had one piece of chrome on it, he brought it to a meet out in the east bay... he was like a giddy little kid with his new piece of chrome, which even then we all drooled over... now his car is a rolling reflector... you don't need a mirror when yer around the Niday car, its gorgeous.

Robr: When you are done with the blue frenzy, post em up. Im doing a blue theme as well... maybe not the self-paint system, but going blue for sure.

Also, disassembling/re-assmbling the throttle body is simple.

Surprisingly enough, the NSX isn't very difficult to work on, with the exception of having to lean over the body because of the engine placement. From a "put it together/take it apart" point of view, its a piece of cake compared to other import sports cars.

Want to talk about pain? Go rip apart a 90's 300ZX TT .. now thats pain. No room under that engine bay at all... I mean NO room
smile.gif

Anyways... cars lookin good, keep the pics flowing.

-B

remember the car commercial where they would roll a ball bearing down the seams of the car supposedly to demonstrate how well the panels fit and the great tolerances they used in manufacturing? i used to joke you could do that to the 300zx engine
smile.gif
. that thing was like a jigsaw puzzle put together and squashed under the hood.

Okay robr,

Its been 5 days and still NO NEW PICTURES!! What's up with that?
wink.gif
I am dying to see how your alternator turned out. I was thinking of doing that too, but if you are willing to be the guinea pig - go for it! Just let us know (and see) how it all turns out.

------------------
'91 Black/Black

alternator!?? ha! not a chance on that one for a while, im saving the hardest until last. been too busy installing the stereo. ill put up a current pic today if my fiance didn't take her digital camera to work with her again.

Suggestion: Buy a couple extra cans of that color. That way even if they discontinue it in the future you will still be able to do touch-ups, etc.

this one isnt mine, but its a pic of someone who sent me the following instructions:

Start with simple green and a stiff brush to get all of the grease off of
it. then rinse and dry.
You really only have to polish the top half since the underside is hidden
anyway. Put tape over the label if you want to keep all of the information
from rubbing off and keeping a stock look to it.

I first used some 600 grit sandpaper and water overall, dried it, then
used some metal polish from a tube and a rag for the big areas and finally
used a Dremel to get the pieces really shiny and get into the cooling fin
areas and the aluminium cover piece. It just takes a little patience.

polished%20alternator.jpg

and thanks for the paint idea, lud, that one didnt occur to me.

Back