• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Powdercoating Valve Covers

Has anyone had their valve covers powdercoated? If so, how much did it cost and how difficult was it to get them off the car? I'd like to have mine done in red to accent my new polished BBSC. Thanks in advance.

I have long admired the red beast pictured in the link above. How difficult was it to remove the valve covers, especially the rear, and how much did the powdercoating cost? I'm trying to evaluate the effort/result ratio before leaping into this project. Thanks,
Scott

Scott - if you decide to do it I highly recommend Pro-Coat in Tampa. I have had many parts done by them and they do great work. My stock wheels were done and they came out real nice. I have a bead blast machine in my shop if you want to strip them yourself (that way you know what you have before the shop gets them).
Good meeting you last Saturday at the Mission Inn
Tom

The valve covers are simple to remove. Follow the service manual. You might want to make sure your gaskets are in good shape before reassembling, and you'll want some Hondabond for the corners of the gaskets.

Mine are powdercoated yellow.You acually have to disassemble the valve cover once its off.I paid 80 bucks to have mine done once they were off.

Joe

------------------
97 NSX-T
93 Supra TT T-61
97 Viper GTS w/Corsa

I have powdercoated valve covers. I also do powdercoating. I just did a set for SNDSOUL, and I'll be happy to do yours, in the color of your choice. Mine and his were done in whats called 'wrinkle red', which is the same red on the 3.2 NSXs and Type R Integra. I charge $150.00 for both covers plus shipping). I have a spare set of them at my shop that I will do in the color of your choice, then send them to you and have you send me your old ones back as cores. Here is a picture of my engine. You can't really see the valve covers too good. I'll also do your center intake cover for an extra $50.00. I don't have a spare so i'd need yours up front.

redengine.jpg

[email protected]

...or you can do what I did with an afternoon and about $5 worth of paint.

33.JPG

You can find detailed instructions on how I did this here (see the last comment in the thread).

------------------
'91 Black/Black

Originally posted by NSXnBRLA:
I have powdercoated valve covers. I also do powdercoating. I just did a set for SNDSOUL, and I'll be happy to do yours, in the color of your choice. Mine and his were done in whats called 'wrinkle red', which is the same red on the 3.2 NSXs and Type R Integra.

I like those, NSXnBRLA. They really look professional, like they came from the factory that way.
icon14.gif

Tom- I appreciate the referral to Pro-Coat in Tampa. It was good meeting you last weekend.

Joe-Thank you for the feedback. Glad to hear your car is running so well for you now. I understand you had some dyno tuning work done by Mark B. last weekend. I'd be interested in hearing how that worked out for you.

NSXnBRLA-Thanks for the info Dave. I didn't realize you were into powdercoating. The pics look great...very factory looking as NSXTASY put it. Well done. I plan to check into my local options first but may take you up on that set after doing so. Let me know when you get the WW skirts mounted!

I have yet to see a powder coated job that come as close as the factory one. All the ones I've seen seems to have the orange tint and seemed faded. But the job on nsxnbrla looks pretty close to factory color. Looks good.

NSXnBRLA did a fatastic job on my valve covers. Very factory looking RED, not orange or orange tint. They even have a wrinkle finish like the factory instead of the gloss that most powdercoats leave. I think my rotors and calipers are next. Dave will get my business on those also. He has an Acura NSX tech there that does very good work and is much more reasonable than the dealer. My car took six trips to Acura New Orleans before I found out Dave had a shop in Baton Rouge with a NSX tech. One visit to him and my car was fixed perfect. thanks again.

[This message has been edited by SNDSOUL (edited 05 July 2002).]

michiganNSX inspired me, pics to follow by monday. what he did is amazingly simple, quick, cheap and looks killer. i have SS hoses with blue ends so i used metallic blue paint for my covers. rather than use his idea of sanding to get white letters, tomorrow (after the blue has dried overnight tonight) ill use a silver paint with a little mini roller for the upraised lettering.

NSXnBRLA, dont know if you're aware of it, but your rear damper bar is on upside down. the notched out side of the bar is supposed to face downward.

Looks Great !! Glad I was able to help. Your engine bay is gorgeous. I wish my whole engine looked that clean. Maybe you've given me some motivation...
wink.gif

Did you sand the center section or paint it silver? I can't really tell from the photo.

Also, did you paint the oil cap cover or is that an anodized aluminum piece?

------------------
'91 Black/Black

[This message has been edited by Michigan NSX (edited 08 July 2002).]

robr,

how hard was it to remove the sway bar (or whatever it's proper name is) and reinstall it? I've been wanting to do this but did not know what was involved. Was it a 1 man job or 2 man? Any special tools required? How much time involved? Anything to watch out for?

Thanks in advance, and once again - Beautiful Job.
cool.gif

------------------
'91 Black/Black

[This message has been edited by Michigan NSX (edited 08 July 2002).]

its not quite as clean as it appears
smile.gif
. im wondering if this is how mike niday started..... im thinking now that the alternator case needs to be blue, its looking a bit beat up, and maybe the dali coolant overflow tank, and maybe....

the lettering is indeed silver. it didnt come out as perfect as i was hoping, what i ended up doing was taking a sheet of plastic (garbage bag) and taping it down tightly over a piece of wood, then spraying chrome spray paint onto the plastic (spray paint doesnt like to stick and dry on plastic), then stamping the cover into the silver. it came out with an interesting textured pattern. i was going to put on a couple more coats to try to give it a more machined look, but my fiance convinced me she really liked the textured look, so i left it.

more (large) pics here:
http://www.nema.com/nsx/engine-big1.jpg http://www.nema.com/nsx/engine-big2.jpg http://www.nema.com/nsx/engine-big3.jpg http://www.nema.com/nsx/engine-big4.jpg

the bar was simple to remove and replace, the car is stiff enough without it, so it goes off and on with ease. its not like the chassis is going to bend once its removed making it impossible to get back on. i assume thats what you were worried about. i might have been too if i had thought ahead before i removed it (actually i took it off to get at one of the covers and said HEY! let's paint this too!!!)

oh and yes, i painted the oil cap too
smile.gif
. i kept thinking i was done, and went to put stuff back on the car and found more pieces to paint
smile.gif
. including the oil cap i ended up painting 8 parts in all.

Originally posted by robr:
t...its not like the chassis is going to bend once its removed making it impossible to get back on. i assume thats what you were worried about....

That's EXACTLY what I was worried about. Thanks again for the info!

------------------
'91 Black/Black

robr,

Did you buy a kit for all of your stainless steel hoses or are they custom done? Looks very nice. If you don't mind my asking - how much$ ?

------------------
'91 Black/Black

bwahaha!! bastard! i'd say it's my fiance's but too many people in here who have met me would jump all over that one....

lets just say it's for anyone in the car who feels a need to tie back their long hair
smile.gif

Back