• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

power steering

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want a coupe, I really wanted power steering. This pretty much limits me to a 91-94 that I add power steering to or ordering a new coupe.

I to want to know what it might cost to add power steering to an early model 5speed.

-matt

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should consider playing with the suspension settings, namely toe, instead of power steering to reduce low speed steering effort required on the early coupes. I have near zero toe-in on the front, and many people have commented that my car's low speed steering effort feels boosted. When I climb into a car with the stock alignment, I 'feel your pain'. Big difference.

------------------
SoS_logo.gif

www.ScienceofSpeed.com - Click for more info

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But is is doable to change the manual box and replace with power asisted box?

If yes what is needed?
I guess you will need:
* power steering box
* computer steerig it
* steering column
* wiring harnes

Lud

Legendary Member
PrimeAdmin
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It should be doable, I just don't know anyone who has done it. I know the parts are very expensive so if possible you'd probably want to get them from a salvage yard, otherwise you are looking at a 5-digit bill. If you go through with it, please do a write-up on what is involved!

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another option might be to find someone who has power steering and would like to get rid of it. Maybe you could work out a swap.

Edo

Experienced Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chris explain to me how REAR Toe might affect steering effort. I can understand changing the front Toe settings to reduce steering effort, but as far as I understand the Rear Toe-IN is dialed in to keep the car's rear end planted under cornering (along with the Negative Camber)
Wouldnt dialing out the Toe-in on the rear cause the car to get a little tail happy in the corners?

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Originally posted by nsxtasy:
Another option might be to find someone who has power steering and would like to get rid of it. Maybe you could work out a swap.

Why would anyone not want the power steering? I drove my car with PS and without PS when the computer went out. I have driven a '91 NSX and a Zenardi. At low speed it makes a huge difference but over 30mph or so the steering in all the cars felt almost identical.

BTW. A little off topic.. I think the clutch changed in 2000. The clutch in the Zenardi was VERY different from my 2000-T. In the Zenardi it took much more effort to push the peddle and the range that the clutch engaged in was very short. It was a stock clutch.

-matt

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This doesn't answer your question, but there's an '01 Coupe that's been sitting in the Hopkins Acura showroom in Redwood City for a while now. I drive by it about once a week and drooool...

-Bob ('94 #496 -- don't like open tops)