• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

problem with ignition switch

Hi guys,
I've had a problem with my ignition switch and my mechanic bypassed the switch until I can order a new one but now my power steering doesn't work.
Does anyone know if bypassing the switch can effect the eps?

yes, it does. as soon as you replace the ignition switch your eps will return, fully functional. just had this same problem 6 months ago. lots of primers seem to prefer the eps turned off. i'm not one of them.

yes, it does. as soon as you replace the ignition switch your eps will return, fully functional. just had this same problem 6 months ago. lots of primers seem to prefer the eps turned off. i'm not one of them.
Thanks, that's good news.
I'm with you. Way too hard to steer with the eps off.
Cheers

Had the same problem, but only bought the top half of the switch, $50 vs $1,000. LMK PM if you want details.
D

Had the same problem, but only bought the top half of the switch, $50 vs $1,000. LMK PM if you want details.
D

As far as I know the only part you buy to fix the ignition switch is 35130-SL0-003 SWITCH, STEERING 1991 NSX $35.25.
What is the $1000 part you refer to?

Well, I'm stranded at work. My car died while I was pulling into the parking lot and it won't start. I'm 99% sure it is the ignition switch. If i jiggle the key a little, it will start and then die right away.

I guess I have no choice to have it towed...

You can also try to hold the key in a position to keep the ignition switch alive. Pretty inconvenient but you can limp along that way.

That may be the main relay. Move the passenger seat forward. In the area behind the seat, aligning with the inner part of the headrest on the passenger seat, give the panel behind the seat a few good smacks with your fist. Start car. This has worked for me more then once;).

HTH,
LarryB

The last few weeks my EPS light came on. I did a search here and I was able to reset it via the clock fuse. This has happened twice recently..I thought while I was going back and reading some old threads that this is related to the ignition switch?

Follow-up: It was my ignition switch....

- - - Updated - - -

Does anyone know the standard book time to replace an ignition switch? I was charged a staggering $560 for the labor.

Ouch, to replace the switch part of the assy I would say 1 hour labor would be plenty so about $120. I would be screaming at the service manager is I got a bill like that.

- - - Updated - - -

The last few weeks my EPS light came on. I did a search here and I was able to reset it via the clock fuse. This has happened twice recently..I thought while I was going back and reading some old threads that this is related to the ignition switch?

A flaky ignition switch or main relay can fault out the EPS, as can a weak battery or battery connections. You need to pull the trouble code to see if its a 22 code I can fix it.

Ok I see. So they also told me my battery was weak too. Today I returned my Costco battery under warranty (pro-rated) and I put in a new one.

Ironically the dealer just called me and asked how was the service so I voiced my opinion. I've never felt the charges were excessive in all the years I've been going there but I can't believe they are charging 3-4 hours for an ignition switch job. I think someone from their Service Dept is going to call me back.

Oof, definitely pricey. I am barely able to change my own oil but I was able to do the ignition switch myself. The only hard part is physically fitting underneath the dash but I can't imagine someone taking longer than an hour to do the job.

Back