• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

problem with new equalizer

Ive hooked the power to my equalizer directly to my battery post..

now even when the car is off the equalizer box is on and it drains my battery..

were can I hook the power to wear it will work when the cars on and turn off when i take out the key..
THANKS

Isn't there a remote turn on for the equilizer, similar to an amplifier, assume you need a signal from the head unit to turn it on, you can use the antenna on to do it. Right now it sounds like you have it wired with out a remote turn on, so it's pulling current constantly. I could be wrong as I have never installed an equalizer just amplifiers and head units but assume it would be the same for an active equalizer.

I am travelling right now so have no access to my car or manual but in the cabin fuse box is an unused fuse location ( i believe it is #3 used on Canadian cars for DRL) that is switched. If you are talking about a large amp then this is probably not good enough for your main power but you could use it for your "remote on" without having to dig around behind the head unit.

There is also 4 available power points just above the cabin fuse box that are available. I have forgotten what order they go in but you can find it here if you look around, I know that one of them is also switched.

Peter

I noticed a blue wire that appears to come from my antenna that isnt currently hooked up..could this be what you mean?

by the way its an amplifier not equalizer..my bad

by the way its an amplifier not equalizer..my bad

You need to send a +12v remote switch to the amp to turn on and off with the car. You can pull a signal from your antenae in the trunk, which is what I did. You should have three wires, a power, a ground and a remote turn on( antenae wire or other switch 12v source)
. I actually just cut the remote power turn on to the antennae and routed it to the amp. I ever listen to the radio and hate how the car looks with the antennae up. Almost like a giant R/C car.

Where is your amp located? Where are you piulling your actual power from? Fuse box is easy to get to if the amp is in your trunk.

hth.

Carl

DO NOT HOOK THE AMPLIFIER UP TO AN ANTENNA WIRE. This will only cause the amplifier to work when the radio (AM/FM) is on. There are several options for this, but the smartest and easiest is to pull the radio and tap into the factory ACC wire. This tests as 12v when key is turned to ACC. Or if you have an aftermarket radio use the AMP TURN ON wire (usually blue with white stripe) coming out of the back of the radio.

Last edited:
DO NOT HOOK THE AMPLIFIER UP TO AN ANTENNA WIRE. This will only cause the amplifier to work when the radio (AM/FM) is on. There are several options for this, but the smartest and easiest is to pull the radio and tap into the factory ACC wire. This tests as 12v when key is turned to ACC. Or if you have an aftermarket radio use the AMP TURN ON wire (usually blue with white stripe) coming out of the back of the radio.

I should of calrified I am using a stock head unit so the remote goes on even if you aren't using the radio. So if if you are using a stock head unit and arent using smart antennae, your antennae goes up even if you aren't using the radio.

I would suggest using the amp turn on wire from the head unit but he has things buttoned up already so I was trying to save him from pulling the head unit again.

Are you using a stock or aftermarket radio. Should of clarified first, sorry:redface:

Back