• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Product Review: TAR-OX big brake kit

Here is an unbiased review of the TAR-OX big brake kit available through Dali Racing (www.DaliRacing.com)

I had previously purchased a Brembo 12.9" front big brake kit. I found the kit difficult to work with in the way that my wheel choices would be limited. The wheel that I wanted at the time (17" front Work Equip Anthello - distributed by RM Racing) would not fit under that kit with out a 7 MM spacer. I did however find the kit to be first rate in build quality and design.

I exchanged the Brembo kit for one of Dali's new 6-piston TAR-OX front kits. (Find out technical specs by visiting Dali's website).

The build quality of this kit is excellent. This kit allows me to use my regular 17" wheels, but also offers the option to use the 16" 7 spoke OEM wheel if I need to (with out spacers!).

Installation was a breeze. I have brake experience under my belt, but needed to refer to the manual, shop manual (for torque specs), as well as Dali. I will admit that I unfortunately snapped a banjo bolt on accident. The banjo bolts can't be found at your local autoparts store, so one was ordered from the BF Goodridge catalogue and modified by Basch Acura for me (thanks Mark).

If you are not comfortable in your ability to do the installation, it may be a good idea to have the kit installed by a pro. I would suggest buying a micro-torque wrench that measures in inch-pounds if you do the installation. Also, I suggest buying SpeedBleeders (www.SpeedBleeder.com) at the same time. The kit has two bleeder screws per caliper, and the SpeedBleeders are god-sends...

The only issue with the design of the TAR-OX kit that seems odd to me (which I've been told is a problem on other kits as well) is that on the hex-bolt pins that retain the pad backing plate, there are two nuts per pin that secure the pin. These are 'doubled-up'. I'm no engineer, but it would seem to make sense to use a locking nut rather than two nuts screwed together. Pretty minor complaint if you ask me though.

After installation, I was easy on the kit, following the manufacture's recommendation to break-in the kit with every-day driving for 500 miles. I could tell, however, with just medium braking effort, that the fronts were over powering the rears (I was running stock pads and rotors on the rear).

My first step was to bleed the ABS system, then to bleed the brakes again. This appeared to help slightly, however, the fronts would still lock up under just medium braking effort.

I then purchased powerslot rear OEM sized rotors as well as Hawk Black compound rear pads. This 'dialed in' the brakes, and by the time I was at Laguna Seca in two weeks, I was in braking bliss.

A quick note on the Hawk Blacks: These pads are a race compound. As far as brake pad torque, they are grabbier than a Porterfield R4S, but less powerful than a Porterfield R4 and Hawk Blue compound. While the balance was fantastic with these pads, they do eat rotors for lunch as well as dust very bad. The dust stained the rear of my car (I have a white 92), to the point that I could not wash the pad material off with just soap and water. I'm going to try either Dali organic rears, or Porterfield R4s next track event.

I currently have around 1000 miles on this kit not including one and a half days at Laguna Seca. The kit allowed me to be very brake-heavy (braking at the 2 or even 1 braking marker) while never fading. I was very surprised how 'linear' the braking effort was. The effort placed on the pedal directly translated to the amount of braking power on the car. What really blew me away, is that I could see no visible wear on the pads. I've been told these things are excellent with brake pad wear, but wow!

This mod get's a 'thumbs up' from me. At $1800, it seems like a great deal compared to other kits available for the NSX.

I have not vested interest in DaliRacing.

-- Chris

------------------
Chris Willson
www.ScienceofSpeed.com
www.NSXClassifieds.com

Hey Chris thanks for the in-depth review.

Three questions though....

1 what size are they? Are they the same size as your Brembos you replaced (12.9")?

2 Is that $1800 just for the front rotors?

3 Do they make any bigger size rotors?

Check out Dali's website for the specs (www.DaliRacing.com).

They use smaller sized rotors (12.6" I think -- they come in metric sizes, so I don't remember what it is converted).

Ask Mark for specific product info... [email protected]

-- Chris

Originally posted by PUREVIL:
Hey Chris thanks for the in-depth review.

Three questions though....

1 what size are they? Are they the same size as your Brembos you replaced (12.9")?

answer: 310mm

2 Is that $1800 just for the front rotors?

answer: that is the price for the whole kit for the front or rear axle using the 6 pot caliper - it is better to go look at the description on the site: http://www.daliracing.com/nsxcatalog/stop_faster/tarox_kit.cfm

3 Do they make any bigger size rotors?

answer: no, not at this time, and that question always makes me crazy - why is the word "bigger" next to the word "rotor" always presumed to be better? bigger rotors weigh more (unsprung weight is bad) and are harder to accelerate. The best brake system is the one that is the smallest and lightest and still does the job that you need it to do, unless the point of the kit is for boulevard posing.
JMO,

------------------
need more info? private me @

[email protected]

Mark Johnson, CEO of Custodial Services @ Dali Racing, a Not For Profit Company.

<<unless the point of the kit is for boulevard posing.>>

That would be 'boulevard pimpin' :p

-- Chris

------------------
SoS_logo.gif

www.ScienceofSpeed.com - Click for more info
www.NSXClassifieds.com - The internet's only exclusive NSX Classified site!

Back