• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

programming remote ?

I bought a used NSX remote for my 2000 NSX and want to re-program. Dealer claims cannot be re-programmed. Anyone know if this is correct or a work around?

buying remotes off ebay are paper weights get a refund if you can...

remotes are programed at the factory with the correct brain.. the brain has a serial number that number you can use to call kenwood USA and they will send you a new remote for about 186each if I remember.

can not program a new remote your dealership's claim is correct

I tried calling kenwood, no luck. Is there any other number from their service dept that knows about ordering the alarm keys?

I've had luck programming two, it is indeed possible. forgot how but there is a how to on here somewhere , I'll search.

the ones that SAY they programmed it always forgot how they did it.....lol

turn ign switch on 3 times, then press and hold the lock button till it blinks ( newer style Honda made vehicles ) 1999-2015

turn headlights to the first postion 4 times press and hold lock unlock ( newer style other car brands )

hold highbeams while turning ign key 2 times then press and hold unlock ( newer Subaru )

etc etc. etc. everytime someone buys an NSX this thread is once again alive

attachment.php

Attachments

• th.jpg
    th.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 221
Don't the 2004-2005 NSX's have the newer style Acura remotes that can be programmed, but all previous years use the old kenwood system that cannot be programmed by the user?

This may work for a remote and a receiver with a different serial numbers.

1. Flip the internal switch to "Learn" (you have to unscrew the housing first)
2. Turn the ignition to on (you don't have to start the engine)
3. Push the unlock button (I held it down for 10 seconds and also pushed about 10 time in rapid order) Not certain if there is a combination
4. Turn off the ignition and test the FOB transmitter. (it worked immediately for me)
5. Flip the Learn switch off
6. Put the housing back together and mount

This may work for a remote and a receiver with a different serial numbers.

1. Flip the internal switch to "Learn" (you have to unscrew the housing first)
2. Turn the ignition to on (you don't have to start the engine)
3. Push the unlock button (I held it down for 10 seconds and also pushed about 10 time in rapid order) Not certain if there is a combination
4. Turn off the ignition and test the FOB transmitter. (it worked immediately for me)
5. Flip the Learn switch off
6. Put the housing back together and mount

basically what I did as well, purchased both fobs from eBay. One for my 1995 and other for the '02. It can be done. Don't listen to Shawn, I have no reason to make this up. It worked for me twice. Good luck!

Don't the 2004-2005 NSX's have the newer style Acura remotes that can be programmed, but all previous years use the old kenwood system that cannot be programmed by the user?

Yes you are correct my 2004 had different fobs similar to the TL, RL etc.

learn switch never worked for me no mater how many times I pressed the lock button thinking it was scanning thru freq. it was not
confirmed by kenwood.

- - - Updated - - -

good luck OP. report back with what you ended up doing so we can close this thread about FOB reprogramming again.

have great weekend guys no fighting

Yes you are correct my 2004 had different fobs similar to the TL, RL etc.

learn switch never worked for me no mater how many times I pressed the lock button thinking it was scanning thru freq. it was not
confirmed by kenwood.

- - - Updated - - -

good luck OP. report back with what you ended up doing so we can close this thread about FOB reprogramming again.

have great weekend guys no fighting
I think that is because there was already a remote frequency learned to the receiver.
When I got my NSX it had matching serials and the fob wouldn't work, so after messing around I found the switch and started playing with it, And got the fob programmed.
After that I learned how they program the frequencies with the punches to the flexible circuit board in the fob and programmed a second fob by duplicating the punch holes.

Rob G went further and figured how the punch holes relate to the code number in the fob which was way to much info, but programmed a fob and receiver with a different serial numbers. My first post was his quote and how he did it, which is how I got mine to work as well.

Last edited:
the ones that SAY they programmed it always forgot how they did it.....lol

turn ign switch on 3 times, then press and hold the lock button till it blinks ( newer style Honda made vehicles ) 1999-2015

turn headlights to the first postion 4 times press and hold lock unlock ( newer style other car brands )

hold highbeams while turning ign key 2 times then press and hold unlock ( newer Subaru )

etc etc. etc. everytime someone buys an NSX this thread is once again alive

attachment.php
Dude, my three boxers are in tears right now. All that meaty horse protein gone to waste....

Back