• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Prospective owner, am I too anal?

For the past few months, my daily routine is to search for a NSX-T on Prime, E-Bay, and Craigslist. Having prior experiences in purchasing used vehicles, I am finding myself being too cautious, confined or meticulous(read: anal) in pursuit of my NSX.

Since last month, my budget has increased from 35k to 40k - in hopes of expanding my potential market.

My target:
NSX-T
Budget within 35-40k
Less than 60k on the odo.
Prefer a car within the 100 miles of Los Angeles, CA.
Prefer a garage queen over a trailer queen.
Exterior colors: Black/Silver/Charcoal/White
Interior: Black

And to live by the following criteria put forth by PRIME's FAQ. In my excavation, I will live by this EXACT process in search of the potential candidate.

If there are any known/new issues that may arise. Please correct me accordingly.

The Initiation/E-Mail process
  1. Request high res. pics of vehicle.
  2. Make note of color differentiation between body panels, dents and scratches.
  3. Make sure it's out of snap ring range
  4. Things to ask: 60k service, brake, clutch, AC compressor/condenser,Window regulator, Tires
  5. Ask for PPI (if available), VMI (if available), and Carfax

The phone interview process (if it's worth looking into)
  1. Repeat and re-emphasize above list
  2. Make arrangements for PPI and ask Prime member to inspect vehicle
  3. Ask about title status

The showing/inspection process
  1. Review vehicle history
  2. Check status of loan/title/license/etc.
  3. Things to Check: 60k service, brake, clutch, AC compressor/condenser,Window regulator, Tires
  4. (posted by: nsxtasy) Extensive PPI should check such things include specific condition of the seats, finish, etc, amount of tread depth of the tires, thickness of friction material on the brake pads, compression and leakdown test on the engine, condition of bushings and other suspension components, boiling point of the brake fluid, etc.
  5. (posted by: nsxtasy) Elect to inspect the car in question if there is one particular dealer/shop proficient in servicing NSXs
  6. Under carriage for rust, excessive damage, oil leaks
  7. New bolts or body panels

The test drive
  1. Check for insurance
  2. Make note of: alignment, brake, throttle response, idle, clutch
  3. Performance of air condenser
  4. Performance of window regulator

*phew

In short, am I asking for the impossible?

Trying to get a 97+ with less than 60K in garage queen condition, with 60K service and all the other stuff working perfectly for $40K or less is NOT realistic, unless of course there is a distress sale. For that price range, you are better off looking for a clean 93-96.

The other criteria of the process become irrelevant. And the 97+ do not have the snap ring issue. YMMV.

My target:
NSX-T
Exterior colors: Black/Silver/Charcoal/White
Interior: Black
There is no Charcoal/Kaiser Silver NSX until 97. 0 Sebring Silver during 95~96. There is total of 25 White/Black during 95~96. You have an overall very tough criteria. I hope you stick to it. I have no doubt you will come through with patience.

I am finding myself being too cautious, confined or meticulous(read: anal) in pursuit of my NSX.
No, you can never be too cautious or meticulous. In my opinion that is a good thing. I am extreme picky type myself:biggrin:.

Another long shot, but fun even if you don't get any results is attending meets. Meet the owners and check out the cars. Owners usually know each others car really well. Sometimes if a fellow local nsx owner is selling a NSX, chances are someone at the group will know and might point you to that direction.

Your budget is already at $40k and you have to have a T. I don't see any reason not suck it up and pay a bit more and go 97+. The 3.2L and 6spd easily worth the additional money.

Last edited:
With such a narrow field of options you're looking for (Color, mileage, price, etc.) you really need to be looking nationwide, not just within 100 miles. These cars aren't all over the place so you really have to go out of your way to find the right one for you. Also finding one with mileage that low for that price could definitely take some time, remember the NSX-T didn't start until 1995 and to find a perfectly maintained 1995+ with less than 60K miles will definitely cost some extra. I would suggest looking nationwide for something with 100K or less.

If you're looking for a NSX-T, you don't have to worry about the snap ring problem. The snap ring issue only affects some '91 and '92 models.

If you're not set on getting an NSX-T, I think you'll have much better luck finding a clean NSX coupe ('91-'94).

Your not asking for the impossible as your price point seems reasonable, what may kill you is limiting yourself to 100 miles. The NSX is a very limited production vehicle, which means at any given time there are only a handful on the market. I checked autotrader recently out of curiosity and there was 125 NSX's available or so for all years in the US! Compare this to 250 or so Ferrari 360's available!

So throw your criteria on top off that and you are going to kick out a lot of cars! Then throw the 100 mile distance on top of that well that might be the breaking point! When I was looking I was willing to fly and check out cars and drive them home, many people on this site have done this and loved it, as it was the only way to get the car they wanted. Good luck looking either way:wink:

Trying to get a 97+ with less than 60K in garage queen condition, with 60K service and all the other stuff working perfectly for $40K or less is NOT realistic.

The OP only said he wanted an NSX-T not a 6-speed or 3.2, in which case that would means they would consider a 95 or 96 MY, I think for 40K this could be done.

Within 100 miles? I have a hard time finding a daily driver or run of the mill sport bike within 100 miles that fits all my specifications, and my list is quite similar to yours. You should be looking statewide, minimum.

Only because your in cali would I even suggest that, if you were elsewhere I'd say in the general region, northwest, southwest, etc.

By narrowing yourself to L.A. you are also inflating the price of the cars you are looking at. 40k$ for a clean 95-96 is possible, but let's look at the big picture, [which is my weakness in buying used cars]->

How much time are you spending looking? To what, save a two hour flight and 6 hour drive home [that might be very enjoyable anyways]?
How much effort are you spending to negotiate? To save a grand, two tops?

I remember when I was looking for a specific Lexus, I spent almost an hour a day for 4+ months looking for the right car for the right price.

What an idiot! Sure it sounded great, I got a great deal on the an LS400. But at what cost? I easily spent over 100 hours needlessly. I found a car just like it within a week's of hunting that needed a very small repair and was about 500$ more than I thought it was worth. I earned about $5 an hour that I should have spent either driving the car or enjoying my already limited free time. Don't count pennies while your hair gets gray and NSX's get older..

I'd say open up your search. It will be hard to find a car like that within a 100 miles of you.

Definitely going to need to go outside the 100 mile range. Prepare to purchase a plane ticket along with buying your car. It'd be worth it just for the drive home! :D

Trying to get a 97+ with less than 60K in garage queen condition, with 60K service and all the other stuff working perfectly for $40K or less is NOT realistic, unless of course there is a distress sale. For that price range, you are better off looking for a clean 93-96.

Thanks for your input. I'll keep my options open.

There is no Charcoal/Kaiser Silver NSX until 97. 0 Sebring Silver during 95~96. There is total of 25 White/Black during 95~96. You have an overall very tough criteria. I hope you stick to it. I have no doubt you will come through with patience.

No, you can never be too cautious or meticulous. In my opinion that is a good thing. I am extreme picky type myself:biggrin:.

Another long shot, but fun even if you don't get any results is attending meets. Meet the owners and check out the cars. Owners usually know each others car really well. Sometimes if a fellow local nsx owner is selling a NSX, chances are someone at the group will know and might point you to that direction.

Your budget is already at $40k and you have to have a T. I don't see any reason not suck it up and pay a bit more and go 97+. The 3.2L and 6spd easily worth the additional money.

What an valuable insight. There is a correlation between exterior colors of the NSX and that of it model year? To be honest, I have yet to see an NSX in detail nor had I ever sat in one. If someone wants a free lunch and is available near San Gabriel Valley, please pm me as I need thorough lecture in NSX 101, lunch is one me. :wink:

(jokingly) From one anal person to another, thanks for the support!

With such a narrow field of options you're looking for (Color, mileage, price, etc.) you really need to be looking nationwide, not just within 100 miles.

Vicinity of the NSX has always been my culprit. With all the acquired knowledge gain from PRIME's computer, and having read a few horror stories from people flying thousands of miles to see NSXs, I am weary with a 40k commitment without seeing the product first-hand.

P.S. I admire your 240Z. Having been a 350Z driver myself, these RWD cars are amazing. However, the 350's unforgiving clutch is a real PITA.

I'd say open up your search. It will be hard to find a car like that within a 100 miles of you.

Definitely going to need to go outside the 100 mile range. Prepare to purchase a plane ticket along with buying your car. It'd be worth it just for the drive home! :D

Within 100 miles? I have a hard time finding a daily driver or run of the mill sport bike within 100 miles that fits all my specifications, and my list is quite similar to yours. You should be looking statewide, minimum.

Only because your in cali would I even suggest that, if you were elsewhere I'd say in the general region, northwest, southwest, etc.

By narrowing yourself to L.A. you are also inflating the price of the cars you are looking at. 40k$ for a clean 95-96 is possible, but let's look at the big picture, [which is my weakness in buying used cars]->

How much time are you spending looking? To what, save a two hour flight and 6 hour drive home [that might be very enjoyable anyways]?
How much effort are you spending to negotiate? To save a grand, two tops?

I remember when I was looking for a specific Lexus, I spent almost an hour a day for 4+ months looking for the right car for the right price.

What an idiot! Sure it sounded great, I got a great deal on the an LS400. But at what cost? I easily spent over 100 hours needlessly. I found a car just like it within a week's of hunting that needed a very small repair and was about 500$ more than I thought it was worth. I earned about $5 an hour that I should have spent either driving the car or enjoying my already limited free time. Don't count pennies while your hair gets gray and NSX's get older..

LOL... excellent story. I will broaden my search range. As for those pioneers that have gone down this path, what specific steps/processes can you advise me on? If you were to purchase another NSX out of state, what would you have done differently?

^^ Thanks for everyones kind support and insights. Its a warm welcome and a validation to my sanity.

Here's one '96 Sebring Silver (it's out of your price range though)

It's difficult to know if this car is legitimate. As mentioned in the ad, Sebring Silver was not available after 1993. But the car could very well have been special- ordered by Larry, as he was a huge NSX fan and a pretty eccentric guy. But if Honda denies making the car, then this would be the type of car (re-painted) you may want to avoid.

It's difficult to know if this car is legitimate. As mentioned in the ad, Sebring Silver was not available after 1993. But the car could very well have been special- ordered by Larry, as he was a huge NSX fan and a pretty eccentric guy. But if Honda denies making the car, then this would be the type of car (re-painted) you may want to avoid.

http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/Media/famous.htm

Scroll down to Larry Ellison:

"He has owned something like 7 different NSXs over the years, the most notable being a 1996 NSX-T, unique factory custom built car in Sebring Silver (not officially available in the US in 1996). Sold in 2001 with under 13,000 miles, factory CD, phone, keyless. Extras included 16-17 Fikse FM-5's, new T1S Toyo's, dry cell battery, Zanardi rear bar."

Guess the Fikse's are off the car...

And for the OP, I think everyone here is right about broadening your search to encompass a greater area.

Take window regulator off the list. They were improved in '93.

if it was it wasn't by much... mine is starting to make the popping sound and is getting ready for the SOS fixit pieces...

http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/Media/famous.htm

Scroll down to Larry Ellison:

"He has owned something like 7 different NSXs over the years, the most notable being a 1996 NSX-T, unique factory custom built car in Sebring Silver (not officially available in the US in 1996). Sold in 2001 with under 13,000 miles, factory CD, phone, keyless. Extras included 16-17 Fikse FM-5's, new T1S Toyo's, dry cell battery, Zanardi rear bar."

Guess the Fikse's are off the car...

The owner of the '96 Sebring car in the linked ad is here on Prime. We did a bit of research into this car before he bought it, and while it's not the actual Ellison car mentioned above, it appears to have been specially built for an Oracle executive. Our speculation is that Mr. Ellison ordered at least 2, kept one for himself, and gave one to the said executive. According to the current owner's inspection, it is factory paint, right down to the doorjamb paint label.

You are way out of your mind picky:biggrin:

Your price point is a little low for a "T." And the distance is too short.

Back