Proud new owner of NSX, AWESOME! Please help me answer some questions.

Hello to everyone! I'm a proud new owner of a white, 1992 NSX that I bought only 2 days ago. The car is SO much fun to drive. I'm having a blast. This is my first import.
I had 3 Vettes before this (loved them too), a 90, 96 and 2000. I was a regular on the corvetteforum, but now that I have my NSX it's time to move on. I hope this community and is nice and helpful as the vetteforum was. I'm sure it will be.
smile.gif
Sorry if this gets long, but I'm new to import performance. I've been a vette guy all my life and decided to try something new this time. There really was only 1 option if I was switching from them and that's the NSX!
I have a few (well maybe more) questions that I'm sure you guys can answer. My car has been modified and I am wondering if you can shed some light onto what I have. I'll post some pics when I get the chance.
1. REMUS exhaust. Good, Bad, OK??
2. It has a decal on the front that says
ZUM. Under that is says Badder, Louder,
Faster. No idea what that is, but it looks cool. Mods or Club???
3. It has an RM Racing intake, a DC sports bar (looks like some kind of carbon fiber strut bar). The back has a decal "tuned by STILLEN." Any idea what they do? I've heard of them. I plan to drive there this weekend.
4. Once the engine is warmed up and I spend some time on hills, the oil level starts to fluctuate significantly. Instead of resting in one place it goes from 1 to 5. 1 if I'm standing still, up to 5 when accelarating... then drops back down to 1 once I stop. is this normal or do I have to get this checked out at a dealership ASAP. The dealer I bought it from says they did all the fluid changes already.
4. Pit Stop racing decal on the rear windeshield???

The car really is awesome. Killer rims, (Lowenhart ), dressed up engine, body looks a bit nicer (maybe it has some sort of kit). I'll post pics soon. I'm new to this car and have A LOT to learn. I appreciate any input you guys can give me. Thanks.

Congratulations on the new car!

1. I've never heard a Remus exhaust so I can't help you on that.

2. I agree with maomaonsx, remove all stickers and decals immediately! Just personal preference I guess...

3. Yes the DC sports bar is a CF strut bar. Looks pretty cool, probably stronger than stock and lighter than most of the aftermarket bars. The Dali titanium tube one may be lighter but I've never compared side to side.

4. The oil pressure gauge behavior you describe is normal. Pressure is low at idle and climbs a lot when you accelerate. It will also drop off a bit once you cross into the VTEC high-po cam profile (around 5800 RPM give or take), and this is also normal.

5. Again, remove all decals. <g>

I'm not sure of many items besides brake rotors, pads, and lines that Stillen makes for the NSX. Sounds like previous owner was a 'rice boy'. Remove all stickers or face the wratch of jealous vette owners :-)

Note Lud's comment about the oil pressure gauge. Note that the gauges = pressure not level as you stated.

Welcome to the group!

You've already found the best website for the NSX. You can also subscribe to an email list which you can find more info about here: www.nsxprime.com/toc.htm

Cheers!!!
-- Chris
(Certified NSXaholic)

------------------
Chris Willson
www.ScienceofSpeed.com
www.NSXClassifieds.com

Thanks for those quick replies.
I wasn't planning on leaving the decals on anyway, I was just interested to know what some of them were. I figured they may have something to do with some of the mods that were done to the car.
Mainly, I'm glad to know that the oil pressure isn't an issue. That had me worried a bit.
As for vette owners, I won't be drag racing against one any time soon anyway.
smile.gif
I've had them... I know. Don't do it. The NSX is killer, but I wouldn't drag race a modified vette unless I had some serious mods. Almost bought a ZR1 before I saw the NSX. It had the black engine (modded by AutoMasters). 475 horse, 4.09 gears, many other. Can we say 0-60 in 4 flat???
Then I felt the pull of this awesome exotic. A stock vette wouldn't stand a chance in a real race against an NSX although I guess the driver is what counts. So far, the NSX feels like a race car for the street and it's a blast. The vettes felt more like very powerful street cars. very different comparison. apples to oranges.

The NSX is handling like a dream and feels like driving a race car. sweet. Only 1 disappointment. brakes. Everything about the car (handling, tech, comfort, feel superior to the vette), except for the brakes. On the vettes it felt like someone threw out an anchor. In the NSX it feels like I'm driving through glue when I hit them. What's up with that? Is that normal? Do I need to go buy some nice beefy 13 inch calipers??? hehe
So far, I am having a BLAST. Thanks for your help.

Originally posted by ilya:
As for vette owners, I won't be drag racing against one any time soon anyway. I've had them... I know. Don't do it. The NSX is killer, but I wouldn't drag race a modified vette unless I had some serious mods.

I think Lud may have said this in a prior thread a couple months ago about a modified 3000gt vr-4. Most cars modified will beat most cars unmodified. I thought that was a true statement. You can dump a lot of money into a lot of different cars and have them be quite fast.

As for vette's, I have not had the "pleasure" (maybe humbling) of racing a z-06 yet, but have raced a few c-5's and not lost.

Welcome to the "club".

------------------
Justin
'98 NSX-T Blk/Blk
o Comptech headers / exhaust / airbox
o Koni adjustable suspension w/Comptech springs
o Volk TE-37 17/18” wheels

[This message has been edited by justin hall (edited 07 February 2001).]

I think more people would buy some of the older NSX models if they new the deals you can get on one now. I had no idea I could get an NSX for 30 grand. As soon as I saw that I jumped on it. It's not like buying some old porsche that performs and looks old. Even the first NSXs were awesome and they haven't changed TOO much. For what I paid, I got away with murder. Big grin on my face.
I have 70,000 miles on the car. I know that is not a lot for an NSX which is why I got it, but I'm a bit hesitant to do any serious mods. I don't want to wear out the engine and not have the car last me for at least 5 years. My only plan so far is to have someone very good go through every nook and cranny and make sure nothing needs to be replaced. I did that with an older vette once, and by the time it was done being cleaned out it felt like I gained 20 horsepower back. Anyobody know of a good NSX shop (not a dealer) who is qualified to actually comb through that engine, analyze everything, and make sure it's operating the way it rolled off the assmbly line? If I do that first, my future mods should be more effective.

Just to answer your question about the ZUM.....to the best of my knowledge they are a company who sells shirts, stickers, etc with somewhat cartoon like images of import cars. Some of the stuff I have seen is kinda cool, (t-shirts), all preference I guess. I agree with the guys though, no stickers. Again, welcome to the to the group, you'll find this list to be very helpful.

------------------
Jason

Congratulations on your graduation from a powerful, mass produced car to a hand crafted, highly refined, true work of technological art. The NSX is amazing as you will soon see as you read this site and others....just take a look at the suspension and you'll want to urethane it and mount it in your living room....
biggrin.gif
Check out my site as well. Welcome!!!!

------------------
nsx_02.jpg

Todd Arnold
http://www.geocities.com/nsxcessive/index.html

ilya,

Congrats on your fine purchase! Great deals are definitely to be had in the used NSX market both because the price is so good and the cars are so reliable. I'm just wondering how long before the values of the older models start to rise
wink.gif

Where in L.A. are ya? You should consider dropping by NSX Modified tomorrow night as the NSXCA Southwest Region is holding their monthly meeting there. The tech talk starts at 6:30pm (I'm leaving Santa Monica at 4:45pm so I don't miss it). Sounds like it will be a large turn out, so it will give you a good idea about the kind of people we NSXers are...

------------------
--akira3D ('00 NSX-T red/black #113)
"Reality is better than the dream..."

akira3d.com/nsx

Ilya,

Glad to hear your part of the NSX family. I am just as new to the NSX as you are. I have never driven the C5 corvette but the older models are not at all appealing to me. The C5 however, IMHO, is a bite (copy) of the NSX in its exterior design. But I have had one try and race me and he blew me away. However I spoke to another NSX owner (Nelson Landa) who said that particular C5 had a supercharger (thought I heard something funny). Plus I had my G-friend with me and the TCS on. I really didnt push the engine too hard. Nelson's NSX has all the goodies though and can help you out with alot of your questions. So can Todd (the prior reply NSXotic). This is a great site to learn all you can about your car. Once agian congratulations. Sorry this is so long.

Good luck with her.

Blade '91 NSX blk/blk

[This message has been edited by BladesNSX (edited 08 February 2001).]

Ilya,
Just wondering what is the web address to the corvette forum you frequented. I would like to know what C5 owners think of their cars. How did you like your 2000 Vette and do you still have it? Did you have any troubles with it? I'm thinking of getting a Corvette to drive cross country in, while leaving my soon to have, hopefully, 2001 NSX at home.

As for vette's, I have not had the "pleasure" (maybe humbling) of racing a z-06 yet, but have raced a few c-5's and not lost.

Welcome to the "club".

The new guy is right, don't be messing with the Vette especially the Z06. I have a CT supercharger and I wouldn't even think about messing with Z06 in drag racing (I don't drag anyway), in road racing, that is a different story but still very competitive. The NSX is not about straight line speed, if you are interested in straight line speed, one can purchase a Supra single turbo on NOS for $50K and it puts down 872 rwhp.

Everything about the car (handling, tech, comfort, feel superior to the vette), except for the brakes. On the vettes it felt like someone threw out an anchor. In the NSX it feels like I'm driving through glue when I hit them. What's up with that? Is that normal? Do I need to go buy some nice beefy 13 inch calipers??? hehe

I don't think you need more clamping power, I would think the small front tires have alot to do with it. 215's vs. 275 for the Vette. I seem to lock up the tires alot too.

I don't think you need more clamping power, I would think the small front tires have alot to do with it. 215's vs. 275 for the Vette.

Changing the width of tires has no effect on braking.

However, NSX brakes should feel strong.

Do you have the OEM tires (Yokohama A022H or Bridgestone RE010) (which are excellent in most respects other than treadlife) or did someone put on some lower-performance tires to get longer treadlife? The tire MODEL can have an impact on braking distances.

Changing the width of tires has no effect on braking.

Changing the front tires has no effect on braking, why not? With more contact area I would think more friction to stop the car. Why do people keep using bigger front tires when racing? Just like bigger rear tires would provide more traction.

Originally posted by Khuang:

The new guy is right, don't be messing with the Vette especially the Z06. I have a CT supercharger and I wouldn't even think about messing with Z06 in drag racing (I don't drag anyway), in road racing, that is a different story but still very competitive. The NSX is not about straight line speed, if you are interested in straight line speed, one can purchase a Supra single turbo on NOS for $50K and it puts down 872 rwhp.

did you ever have your SC checked out? I remember in a different thread you were talking about dyno results that were pretty low for SC. I think we all agree the strength of the NSX is not straight line speed, but with a SC you should be able to take a z-06 track or straight line, assuming apples to apples on driver.

------------------
Justin
'98 NSX-T Blk/Blk
o Comptech headers / exhaust / airbox
o Koni adjustable suspension w/Comptech springs and sway bars
o Volk TE-37 17/18” wheels

I plan to attend the event today. After your recommendations, I called nsxtreme and spoke to Larry. he told me about the get together tonight. Unless something happens and I can't leave work a bit early to beat the traffic... I will be there! I'll have the white NSX with no engine cover, dressed up engine, and that ZUM sticker on the front which I'll be taking off when I get the chance. I'm really looking forward to it. I'd love to see some of the things you guys have done with your cars to get some ideas of what I can do.

CChung, the address for the vetteforum is www.corvetteforum.com. It's up to you whether you like the C5 or not. It has proven to be very reliable though. As reliable as an Acura, well no, but still quite dependable... moreso than the older vettes by far. Personally, I sold my C5 because I DIDN'T like it. I loved the older vettes. I enjoyed that older, muscle car feel and look. The C5 feels much more like a luxury car now. I love driving a ZR1 because it's such a different experience. If given a choice between a C5 or an NSX, I pick the NSX every time. It's hell of a lot of fun to drive because of it's race car feel. Just like the older vettes were fun because of that "sitting behind a big block" feeling. The C5 lost that, and although most people found that appealing, it just wasn't my cup of tea. The vette (and the viper) were the last cars to have the aura about them, and once the C5 was introduced (although clearly superior in everything), it became a different kind of car (yes, a better car). In doing that however, it is now much more similar to exotic cars. In that situation, there are other cars I would rather drive, MY NEW NSX! HA! Someday, my garage will consist of an NSX and a ZR1. Old school and Cutting edge technology. Just my dream.
smile.gif

Changing the front tires has no effect on braking, why not? With more contact area I would think more friction to stop the car.

Changing the width of the tires has no effect on the size of the contact patch. It only changes the shape of the contact patch.

The size of the contact patch is a function of the weight of the car and the pressure in the tires. For example, if you have a 3100-lb NSX-T with 31 psi of pressure in the tires, the size of the four contact patches will equal 100 square inches, regardless of whether the tires are 305 mm wide or 185 mm wide.

Why do people keep using bigger front tires when racing?

Because it is alleged to give better handling in turns, not for acceleration or braking. However, tests that have attempted to prove better handling have only turned in mixed results, such as the article in Sport Compact Car a few months ago.

Originally posted by nsxtasy:
[
Changing the width of the tires has no effect on the size of the contact patch. It only changes the shape of the contact patch.

The size of the contact patch is a function of the weight of the car and the pressure in the tires. For example, if you have a 3100-lb NSX-T with 31 psi of pressure in the tires, the size of the four contact patches will equal 100 square inches, regardless of whether the tires are 305 mm wide or 185 mm wide.

But again u have also take downforce into account. When u have even better downforce, u get bigger contact patch. That's why sometimes wider tires are necessary.

Originally posted by nsxtasy:

Because it is alleged to give better handling in turns, not for acceleration or braking. However, tests that have attempted to prove better handling have only turned in mixed results, such as the article in Sport Compact Car a few months ago.

I have 214/40/17 fr and 285/35/18 rear SP8000s for street use. On the track I use 205/50/15 fr and 245/45/16 rear Hoosier R3SO2 slicks. There is a noticeable difference on the effort required for turn-in. The smaller slicks are much easier to control even though they have more grip. I have found that the non-power assist steering can be somewhat cumbersome on both the street and track, and poeple that have driven my '94-X can attest to that.

Just my $.02

Back