• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Queen + Paul Rodgers Concert

Well, almost a week has passed since I saw the Queen tour in Phx Arizona... here is my impression.

Although i am relatively young (26), I have been a Queen fan for about 15 years now. When I heard that they were touring with Paul Rodgers, I snatched up some expensive front row tickets for my sister and me for their AZ stop.

First off, it was way out in the west valley (Glendale) which is basically far from everything, culturally speaking, in AZ. However, there is a new stadium out there, Glendale Arena, and I was very impressed with its size and stage. Despite the long drive, I now prefer Glendale Arena over other venues for such events in AZ.

There were a lot of people there, but there was a large section closed off in the back. Otherwise, I think it was packed but I really couldn't tell from the floor.

While they played more mainstream songs, they did a good job of catering to old and newer Queen fans. Of course, they played the huge commercial hits, but they also threw a couple of lesser known songs into the mix - which was nice.

I was generally impressed with Paul Rogers - he's truly a great front man. It was a little difficult to sing along since Paul adds his own style and doesn't really try to recreate what Freddy did (not that anybody could). He certainly doesn't have the stage presence or voice that Freddy had, but he was extremely energetic.

During some of the songs, they had a large projector showing pictures of the band when they younger. It was a nice touch and it really complemented a few 'flashback' type moments in their songs.

I was very excited to see original band members Brian May and Roger Taylor. They both had very long solos and both even sang a few songs - Roger sang two, one that he wrote long ago, and Brian sang a well known song ,with a new twist, in memory of Freddy Mercury. I was disappointed that John Deacon (bassist) wasn't there, but I believe he stepped out of the public eye quite a few years back.

I apologize if my thoughts are a little random and unorganized, I'm just jotting them down as they come back. :smile: Anyway, I really enjoyed the experience and would be more than happy to elaborate on any of it for those who are considering seeing the concert in their city.

Happy B-day dude.........although you say your'e 26 and Prime says your'e 27. Anyway, congrats on another milestone.

Mike-san said:
Happy B-day dude.........although you say your'e 26 and Prime says your'e 27. Anyway, congrats on another milestone.
Holy crap, you're right... today is my 27th b-day. :biggrin:

I guess it's true when they say your memory goes first. :)

redshift said:
Holy crap, you're right... today is my 27th b-day. :biggrin:

I guess it's true when they say your memory goes first. :)

...and I forget what goes second.:biggrin:

They did cover the Free tune 'All Right Now", written, of course, by Rodgers. I saw them (Queen w/ Paul Rodgers) in their original US tour, which was only NY and LA. Saw them at the Hollywood Bowl. Great show, and that was a perfect description of what the show actually was. They did play a few Bad Company tunes as well. The pictures shown on the screen were an amazing touch and when Bohemian Rhapsody was playing they had a video from a previous show with Freddie singing, and Paul would come in now and again. Very nice touch. If they come around, go see them... I don't know if they are having special guests at all the shows but the original LA show had Slash (from Guns N Roses) as special guest guitarist. As a bonus I got to meet Slash in the parking lot before the show. Bumped into him by accident. In case anyone cares he drives an all blacked out H2. :smile:

THE4TH said:
They did cover the Free tune 'All Right Now", written, of course, by Rodgers. I saw them (Queen w/ Paul Rodgers) in their original US tour, which was only NY and LA. Saw them at the Hollywood Bowl. Great show, and that was a perfect description of what the show actually was. They did play a few Bad Company tunes as well. The pictures shown on the screen were an amazing touch and when Bohemian Rhapsody was playing they had a video from a previous show with Freddie singing, and Paul would come in now and again. Very nice touch. If they come around, go see them... I don't know if they are having special guests at all the shows but the original LA show had Slash (from Guns N Roses) as special guest guitarist. As a bonus I got to meet Slash in the parking lot before the show. Bumped into him by accident. In case anyone cares he drives an all blacked out H2. :smile:
Oh yes, they did cover "All Right Now." They also did what you described with Bohemian Rhapsody - showed video of Freddy performing live. That was a very nostalgic moment for me even though I've never actually seen him preform in person - I just have watched a lot of his live videos. There wasn't any special guest unfortunately.

I was also moved by the pictures they ran during "These are the Days of Our Lives." It was crazy to see Brian and Roger as they are now on stage and pictures of them when they were in their twenties!

(given my prime handle, this is probably an obvious statement, but...)

i have been a dedicated fan of queen since i first heard bo-rap in '77. in their original lineup, they were nothing short of amazing... brian's writing & guitar (not too bad on vocals, either), john was a solid bassist, roger an excellent drummer and good writer... and finally, freddie. a remarkable combination of writing, performing, connection with the audience and finally, his vocal skills - fred sang everything, including opera. as a group, queen was amazing.

in the US, queen did "well" from time to time, but they were never accepted to the extent they were in the rest of the world, especially europe and the uk. (iirc, queen has sold >140 million albums/cd's, many million dvd's, ~$41M in tickets for QueenRocks, their "rock opera" that plays worldwide).

so we were a little concerned that the new lineup wouldn't be very well received by the US (they were a massive hit in europe where queen has a huge fan base) and especially here in san jose. 2 mins before the lights went down on wed night at hp pavillion, the place was packed with people of all ages.

as noted above, the majority of the show was queen songs, but paul rogers had lots of his own stuff in their too. it was a great show - amazing musicianship, great vocals, music from the entire span of queen + paul rogers' careers... very cool. (btw, the initial part of roger's drum solo <when they wore sarape's> was from a 50's / 60's drummer, sandy nelson - the album was "birth of beat; brian's solo was all of his work, mainly from his solo albums).

there was a bit of historical perspective with video / photos of the boys when they were early days, including rogers; a bit of sentimentality with frddie appearing from time to time... but no schmaltz. having them sing bo rap WITH freddie was a perfect touch for everyone - band AND audience... and fred would have loved it.

if you get a chance - even if you have to drive a bit - you should see the show... as freddie said, "the old ladies are still rocking" :)

BTW, we bought 2 tickets as christmas presents for a neighbor couple friends of ours. they politely said they would go, but were "not really queen fans" - she likes country, he likes AC-DC. they probably had more fun than us and as we were leaving, he said, "i'm sorry i said i didn't want to come, i meant to say "i didn't know how MUCH i wanted to come."

like in wayne's world, "Queen, good call, man."

QueenLives

Queen+ updated set list...

takes 2 hrs, 15 mins:

(from brianmay.com)

INTRO – BEAUTIFUL DAY
REACHING OUT
TIE YOUR MOTHER DOWN
FAT BOTTOMED GIRLS
CAN’T GET ENOUGH
TAKE LOVE
CRAZY LITTLE THING
LOVE OF MY LIFE
HAMMER TO FALL
FEEL LIKE MAKIN’ LOVE
DRUM SOLO
I’M IN LOVE WITH MY CAR
GUITAR SOLO
LAST HORIZON
BAD COMPANY
ANOTHER ONE BITES THE DUST
DRAGON ATTACK
DAYS OF OUR LIVES
RADIO GA GA
UNDER PRESSURE
SHOW MUST GO ON
BO RAP
---
ROCK YOU
ALL RIGHT NOW
CHAMPIONS

Re: Queen+ updated set list...

redshift said:
Thanks Frank! :biggrin:

... and queenlives, thank you for your wonderful write-up!
you're quite welcome, it's a pleasure to have someone start a thread about my favorite band.

I'M SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO ENVIOUS OF YOU (but pleased FOR you) that you got front row seats. i was 4th in line to buy tickets and i got them MUCH further away... but they were good enough :)

my apologies for being so wrapped up in the topic that i missed it was your birthday. happy belated b-day, young man :)

(btw, did you <an nsx owner @ <30 years old>, get to hear roger sing, "I'm in love with my car"? (that song actually charted reasonably well in the UK when it was released)

Re: Queen+ updated set list...

Regarding Glendale Arena, one of my favorite 80's bands - Depeche Mode, played there last NOvember. I debated going, but decided against it because I HATE crowds. Now I wish I had gone. Oh well...

Good to hear the Arena is a cool venue.

PS - Erin - when are we gonna get together to celebrate birthdays? I know quite a few people who have birthdays in April.

Queen on American Idol next week... (?)

"IT'S A BOHEMIAN RHAPSODY WHEN THE TOP 8 FINALISTS PERFORM THEIR FAVORITE QUEEN SONGS ON "AMERICAN IDOL" TUESDAY, APRIL 11, ON FOX

We will rock you when the AMERICAN IDOL Top 8 finalists perform their favorite songs by world-famous British rock band QUEEN on next week's performance show, Tuesday, April 11 (8:00-9:00 PM ET live/PT tape delayed) on FOX. Earlier this week, the finalists had a chance to perform their songs with the legendary band at the latest stop on QUEEN's current tour, which features Free/Bad Company vocalist Paul Rodgers. Next Wednesday, after the finalists perform one of QUEEN's hits, America's vote will be revealed and another one bites the dust on a special one-hour AMERICAN IDOL results show Wednesday, April 12 (8:30-9:32 PM ET Live/PT tape-delayed)."

NsXMas said:
Regarding Glendale Arena, one of my favorite 80's bands - Depeche Mode, played there last NOvember. I debated going, but decided against it because I HATE crowds. Now I wish I had gone. Oh well...

Good to hear the Arena is a cool venue.

PS - Erin - when are we gonna get together to celebrate birthdays? I know quite a few people who have birthdays in April.
Too bad you missed out on Depeche Mode. :frown: Don't hesitate next time an event is held at Glendale Arena, it is probably the nicest venue in town. As far as getting together for April b-days, that sounds like a good idea. There is a drive coming up right?... I'm not sure if I can make it, but that might be a good time. :biggrin:

queenlives said:
I'M SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO ENVIOUS OF YOU (but pleased FOR you) that you got front row seats. i was 4th in line to buy tickets and i got them MUCH further away... but they were good enough
I actually waited few hours before the box office opened and I was probably 10 people back in line. The cool thing about this venue though was that there was A LOT of 1st row since they have a walkway and island extension on the stage. I got 1st row on the island, which is where they did most of their performing!

queenlives said:
my apologies for being so wrapped up in the topic that i missed it was your birthday. happy belated b-day, young man
No problem at all, thanks for the well wishes! :biggrin:

queenlives said:
(btw, did you <30 years old>, get to hear roger sing, "I'm in love with my car"? (that song actually charted reasonably well in the UK when it was released)
I was really excited to hear Roger sing that one. I always liked it for its differences!

Back