• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Question about a specific car JH4NA21604T000018

In my quest for a red 2002 - 2005 NSX a 2004 popped up and could be the one except the Carfax shows that it was wrecked in Missouri on the left front in 2005. It has more miles than I like but it is the right color. It was obviously repaired and has made it about 30000 more miles but there is no information on what happened other than it had to be towed from the accident. I don't want a bent NSX but, by that same token, I would not mind one that had been in a fenderbender with a damaged wheel or something like that. In any event, I am looking for specific information if anyone knows the old owner or any other detail.

I would rather have a different colour than knowingly buying a red one with prior damage. Better off spending the money for a professional wrap on a no story car that could be removed down the road when you want to sell it.

In my quest for a red 2002 - 2005 NSX a 2004 popped up and could be the one except the Carfax shows that it was wrecked in Missouri on the left front in 2005. It has more miles than I like but it is the right color. It was obviously repaired and has made it about 30000 more miles but there is no information on what happened other than it had to be towed from the accident. I don't want a bent NSX but, by that same token, I would not mind one that had been in a fenderbender with a damaged wheel or something like that. In any event, I am looking for specific information if anyone knows the old owner or any other detail.
My view on this is that most NSXs that are left on the road now will have at least one fender bender in their lives. It's just statistics and time at play. Thus, I wouldn't let an accident necessarily deter me at this point. The key is frame damage. A competent collision shop can quickly measure the control points on the car to check if the frame has been bent out of shape. If it is a small amount, the frame can be pulled into place similar to a steel body. If it is a large amount, then it will be a massive job to fix involving cutting the bent section out of the car and welding in a new piece. That's $$$$$$ (at least $20,000).

Thus, my advice is to save the PPI money, since the local Acura dealer will look at the car and simply tell you it's "good" if it's not leaking oil. Spend that money instead having a good body shop measure the frame and report back if it's bent. If it's straight, then I say go for it.

Have you talked with the dealer about it at all? They might have some more information. I show that listed on 3 different sites (edmunds, carguru, dupont registery but all pointing to one dealer) but no photos of it up yet.

If it was just cosmetic damage then I personally would have no issue with it, but I do know the formula red is sometimes a hard color to match so you'll want to pay close attention to it in person and not just rely on photos done by the dealer before pulling the trigger if the damage was limited.

The carfax says the airbag did not deploy and that Acura later offered it as a certified pre-owned makes me a bit more confident about this. If the accident was indeed minor, the amount they want for it is very fair IMO.

Thanks for everyone's advice but what I was really looking for was whether anyone has seen this actual car.

Provided that they can get a wheel guy to repair the curbed wheels I think I now own this car. It will be a nice addition to my 800 mile 2005 which I have owned since new. I wanted one that was still fresh but had enough miles that I can drive it.

Back