• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Questions on a Silver 91' in WA VIN:JH4NA1153MT001973

Well the time is finally here, after being a long time lurker I am im the position to buy. So far 2 have caught my eye. A silver 91 in Tacoma, WA and a Red 92 close by here in Portland, OR.

Silver 91 Details:
Asking price: $37,600 (Dealer went down to 33k)
49,695 Mi
VIN: JH4NA1153MT001973
Mostly Clean CARFAX (had a repair done @ 11k mi)

Dealership Link: http://www.southtacomahonda.com/en_us/unitDetail.asp?Unit=327718

Carfax:http://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistory/p/Report.cfx?vin=JH4NA1153MT001973&partner=ICO_0

AND

Red 92 Details:
Asking Price $28,495
83,719 Mi
VIN: JH4NA1159NT000294
Clean Carfax

Dealship Link: http://www.lexusofportland.com/VehicleDetails/843165413

Carfax: http://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistor...Z34KyHK3CYTQJ2mpll8jmhcw2y2xRMckxNxy1srvhq2xG

I do prefer the color combination of the Silver/blk over the Red/Ivory as well as the lower miles, but then there is the higher price as well as the minor accident ding on the carfax. I plan to pay for a PPI, what more would you look for/do ?

What are your guys opinions on the 2? Is there by chance anyone in the Tacoma area that would be willing to take a look at the 91 with me? Free lunch included! Thanks for your time guys! Fighting the "must have" bug as best I can ;)

-Seth

$33k for a car with accident history? I say no way. It says "moderate damage" too. Since it is at a dealership i imagine that there's no service history or anything else that comes with it either, right? It probably needs a timing belt, all the coolant hoses replaced, a new crank pulley, and who knows what else.

The mileage is nice, but only when the rest of the car is perfect, and in this case it can't be.

The red one sounds better to me, assuming it is clean.

Another thing is that "low mileage premium" is going to be gone as soon as you drive the car for a few years, but that accident history will always be on the carfax. Reselling it would be a hassle.

I agree about the resell value for sure, thing about Carfax is the report could be referring to a tiny impact that just bent the fender and it was replaced, or it got hit pretty good, no way of knowing. If I go look at it I will have to have the rear closely inspected during the PPI as well as adjust the price in regards to the accident history. Thanks alot for the perspective!

-Seth

Last edited:
Have you been to Prime Market? There is a 95 with 55k miles for 32,500 with history. I mean you're looking at dealer stuff when you could buy from an individual Primer - that makes no sense. These dealer cars come with no history except that one has accident history. I mean do you not like black. The one on Prime I mention is a black/tan. Check it out. I'd stay away from dealers if I could.

I purchased my 91 Sebring Silver with some goodies in Mint Condition for 21,000. It had some miles on her, but the history was perfect and all the maintenance was up to date etc.... Be patient and check the For sale area often on here. There are some real deals on here.

Actually Black is the color I would most enjoy, and I have actually looked at just about every car currently listed on prime, I agree buying from a private party is preferable to a dealership, the one hangup is that I was planning on using my '06 STi as a trade in/down payment. The private buyer market for STi's is currently pretty down sadly.

Actually Black is the color I would most enjoy, and I have actually looked at just about every car currently listed on prime, I agree buying from a private party is preferable to a dealership, the one hangup is that I was planning on using my '06 STi as a trade in/down payment. The private buyer market for STi's is currently pretty down sadly.

Too bad they don't have a CarMax in your area. Great place to sell your car. Have you tried taking your car to a local Suburu dealership and ask them if they are interested in buying your car out right? I have done this a couple of times with a GMC and a Honda without buying a car from that dealer. Of course you wont get much more than wholesale book if that.

That's where you're in a bit of a predicament eh? I'd try and sell the STi first then negotiate a good deal with a private seller from NSX Prime.

If I were in your shoes I wouldn't be getting rid of a nice STi, losing money on it thru trade-in just to get an NSX with accident history...

That's where you're in a bit of a predicament eh? I'd try and sell the STi first then negotiate a good deal with a private seller from NSX Prime.

If I were in your shoes I wouldn't be getting rid of a nice STi, losing money on it thru trade-in just to get an NSX with accident history...

Amen! The market maybe down but it's not as far down as what some small time dealer is going to give you! You can eventually sell your car.

I purchased my Red '93 here on prime from a meticulous seller. Every single dealer record from day 1. Never smoked in, never tracked. It looks like it has 9500 miles not 95,000. Be patient and buy from a pivate seller.

Don't be in a hurry.

Thanks guys for all the input, yet another reason I am very excited to finally get into a NSX, the community is great! Trust that I will be taking my time in choosing the right NSX for me, this is something I have worked hard for and not being in a position to where I can afford to throw money away getting a decent deal is even more important. I am going to look at the 91 up in Tacoma tomorrow with a mechanic friend of mine, I will be sure and let you guys know how it goes :)

Too much is being made about an "accident"... depends on the accident.

My car had been in an accident with the previous owner... LF fender was replaced (I've owned the car for 17 years now), I defy anyone to tell that my car was ever damaged.

If you love the car and a good inspection gives it an A+ go for it!

Well I did, I got there got an inspection from a body shop as well as a PPI, super clean, had it up on the lift, only place i could see that had been touched were the front lower tow points (lowest point on the car) just scratched. Car is really great, drove it 190 miles home, WHAT A JOY!!! My face hurts from smiling! Thanks everyone for all the input and help, truly invaluable!

Here are some pictures :)

http://img824.imageshack.us/g/20101111114424.jpg/

Last edited:
Congratulations! I had been in touch with them about this car but have been too busy to follow up or get down to see it, so you beat me to it. I think you have a good one.

John in Vancouver

Congratulations! You just bought a '91 that according to a certain primer is going to be a collector car in the NEAR future. That bit of information should make you feel better. Seriously, congrats

2000 GPW/ONYX
2005 SILVERSTONE/ONYX

Thanks guys, yeah I really think I lucked out and snagged a good one! Yet again really have to thank Prime, so many hours on here spent researching and reading posts, truly a great help.

Ah yes the I love heading over to the Museum whenever I get the chance, living here in McMinnville really have no reason not to! They should be getting one of the Space Shuttles shortly. Actually the museum would make a great meet spot as well.

Nsx-barque sweet wheels....sorry back to the topic at hand congrats to your new purchase and enjoy.

damn it man I think I want a silver one now. nice nice ride. I think I am done with my BLK/BLK

you take the freaking car cover off for 10 minutes and it dirty again. F-it
tring to keep it clean anymore.

it is a manual tranny right. if not then I take back what i said LOL

j/k

Gotta love that color....:biggrin: (pssst....it's the fastest you know) Don't know about collector's item in the near future - depends on what you think near is but I'd say in 10 years we'll start seeing some movement with pricing in the right direction ^ (if not before then) and in 20 ......let's just hope we can still get gasoline or they'll all be stationary pieces of art. That goes for all of em ....and I still say if you can't drive em - might as well start that museum now.....:wink:

Too much is being made about an "accident"... depends on the accident.

My car had been in an accident with the previous owner... LF fender was replaced (I've owned the car for 17 years now), I defy anyone to tell that my car was ever damaged.

If you love the car and a good inspection gives it an A+ go for it!

I agree entirely with this thinking.

Silver hides the dirt VERY well too. That's half the reason I wanted it. :biggrin: The other half of the reason is that black and red suck. :biggrin:

Back