• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

$$$ Questions

Hi all. Just bought a 97 NSX and love it but am underwelmed by the stock sterio system. So I figured it would be just like your basic upgrade - couple of new decent quality door speakers and AMP. Yep can be done Im told - for a mere $800. Whaaaat!!! Ok I am no dummy (I thought) having replaced dozens of speaker sets in my other cars before and yes I know Bose has its own crazyness but $800. Am I getting smoked here or is that the best I can hope for? A) I allready spent all my money on getting the car and B) I don't need a concert hall in 8 Sq. Ft. just some decent clarity and C) while I dont have the desire to personally rip into anymore door panels and dashboards and I realize paying someone else to do the dirty work aint cheap I just need to know if thats the best I can expect to make an improvement. :biggrin:

$800 budget:
Here's what you need for min requirement;
Amp;
Amp mount;
Amp power install kit;
Speakers;
Speaker mounts;
Speaker wire;
harness adapter kit;
RCA's;
Installation costs.

Can you do it?
Sure ... DIY probably required; no subwoofer.

Don't underestimate the fabrication of amp & speaker mounts & harness adapters - if you are skilled you can make these for relatively low cost of raw material but a lot of work & knowledge required to complete.
But you can do something on that budget with limitation of a 2 speaker system - probably not much less for anything worth while.

Ken is absolutely right. Amp/speakers runs half of your budget, and then there's the subject of center console. It's not an easy DIY project like changing your oil, but not as hard as changing the headers either. I'm upgrading mine right now, it's a project in process. You should do it though, because there's no point of waiting, live for now, do it right.

THANKS Ken for sharing your wealth of knowledge and experience on the NSX. You are a knight riding in a NSX. :biggrin: (btw, how's trip?)

You can do something like what Inexess did.
I went to check out his system last weekend and it sounds 100 times better than the stock system! The highs are clear and crisp and the bass hits pretty hard. He kept the factory head unit and installed aftermarket speakers and an amp.
The thread is here:

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33659

I am doing the same thing to my system now.
I already have the adapters for the wiring harness and the speaker templates from Ken.

I think it is definately a DIY project if you take your time and do a little research.

Good luck!

Nate in DC

Last edited:
Back