• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

R-12 High Side Fitting Size

I have a 91, and have never added r12 to it. I have had her since 05. The air has slowly gotten warmer in the last 15 years, and this year it was a little too hot. Found a couple of cans of r-12 on craigslist, bought a manifold gauge set, added 1 can, and now its at 60 degrees from the vent. It has held the same pressure at 30lbs on the low side for 4 days now. I decided to check the high side as well, and it seems to be smaller than the quarter inch on the low side. I need to know the size so I can get an adapter to check it as well.

Thanks,

Dean

It might be 3/16 for the low side. Yes, you can get an adapter, something like: https://www.amazon.com/Robinair-10468A-Straight-Style-Adapter/dp/B000NP3J4Q

HOWEVER, it might be cheaper, though not proper, to install R134a fittings and just continue to use R12. The R134a fittings are so much easier and efficient to deal with.

I may, or may not, have used R290 in some of my cars.

Thats pretty smart Drew. If it leaks out again, which I expect it to, I will definitely be converting the system to r134a. Do the 134a adapters screw directly on the existing r 12 inputs, or do I need to evac the system to install them? I f I have to evac, I guess I need some dye to find the leak, and do the complete O ring conversion as well.

>Do the 134a adapters screw directly on the existing r 12 inputs

Yes, plug and play. Likely cheaper and more useful than finding an R12 adapter and you are set for the eventual R134a changeover (or R290 if you are a little daring).

Not that daring in this aluminum can. In a truck/older car probably.

Back