• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Race with a new M5 last night!

30 miles from The Dragon. On the TN side of cours
Last night heading home in Ft Lauderdale I had the pleasure of racing a new M5 in my stock 94 NSX. We were unable to start from a dead stop as there was light traffic around us, but I was able to make a few 2nd to 3rd gear pulls, and each time he couldn't keep up. After I thought he had given up, I realized that I had passed my street a mile or so back, so I pulled into the next turn lane and made a fast U-turn. I look in my mirror and there he is right behind me also making the U-turn. This time there was no one in front of us for at least a mile. I was in second gear waiting for him to get next to me when I punched it. I pulled on him again. Not by a lot, but enough that led me to believe that I would have continued to pull on him forever. The feeling was nice, especially as the guy looked surprised that he didn't win. I motioned for him to pull over so we could talk (and I could check out his nice ride), but he just made another U-turn and went on his way (Mustang this is Ghost Rider, Mig two is bugging out and heading home. Great balls of fire!!!).

I saw a nice story on Speedvision last weekend about the M5, awesome car for sure!!! 400 HP, good handling (for a boat) and looks that kill IMO!!! I thought they said it did 0-60 in under 5 seconds. That's quick for a 4000 lbs plus car. I wonder how I would have done from a complete stop? I'm sure it would have been close.

Now I need some more speed parts. Oh Visa, where are you??

I think you beat the driver and not the car... A well-driven M5 does 0-60 in the sub-5 sec range and the 1/4 mile in the low 13s. It's a car that even C5 owners dread seeing in the street based on few posts I have read on their forum.

Also, those new M5s have strict break-in rules for the first 1200 miles, which means no the M5 driver did not use all of the 400 horses (assuming the car had less than 1200 miles). Supposedly BMW will void your warranty if you violated their break-in rules...

I realize that a race is car against car and driver against driver. The fact that he couldn't dive doesn't mean that he didn't lose. If the car was that much faster, he should of had no problem taking me. Remember, my car is stock plus my rear wheels are 6% larger than factory. This hurt me even more as the stock gears suck on the 5-spd NSX's.

I bet he didn't feel so good after he turned around and headed home. He probably called Skip Barber and scheduled some driving classes.

Point taken.

Thru corners?

I disagree. I went with a few in the race tracks already. Some are driven by BMW CCA instructors. My car definitely better in the corners, with them pulling only very slightly on the straightaway. Now don't tell me he can't drive either
smile.gif

I completely agree Andrie. The M5 is a great car, but it is still a boat. Ok it's a yacht! I can not imagine that car handling as good as an NSX. I think weight is very important to handling and the M5 has too much of it!

[This message has been edited by TitaniumVtec (edited 20 September 2000).]

Trust Andrie, he is one of the fastest NSX's out there. Belienve me, I've seen him on the track.

Tell you what, how about an M5 for a daily. THAT would be a nice garage. Kevin

Yup... the M5 may be the ultimate daily driver. Definitely on my wish list.

For now I will just have to settle for my lowly M3 as my daily... =)

Man, sounds like fun. Wish I could race something more powerful than a Civic and win
frown.gif
. For the meantime, I will have to continue to pick on Neons, Civics and Sentras!
Loved the "Top Gun" quote btw, AWESOME movie. Fits in so well sometimes
smile.gif

------------------
Weenie '95 V6 Mustang
Dreams of Future NSX

The M5 is faster in real life than on the magazines and papers. I'm sure M5 is capable of doing high 12, not low 13. I've driven my friend's '00 M5 which has so much torque at low end and it pulls very hard. At high end, it still pulls strong. There's no doubt M5 can beat a pre 97 NSX and can "probably" also beat a 97+ NSX IMO.

Back