• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

RAid Airbag Steering Wheel Swap

Well I was looking for something different and found it with the Raid airbag steering wheel. I see these in Lotus and Porches all the time so I thought well the quality must be good so I placed my order. I went with the Raid Cavallo Race 340mm and I must say WOW it is top notch. The cost was 490 Euro delivered to my door. This includes the airbag. They offer many styles and sizes but all use the same bolt pattern. you do need to ask for the single stage air bag as I think they offer both. I purchased mine from Gert at www.carnewal.com

The air bag is a two wire just like the NSX so you can use your air bag connector or do like I did and go get one from your local junk yard for under $10.00 I will just soldier the two wires then shrink wrap them. You could just crimp the wires together also.

You will need a steering wheel adaptor about 2" deep to bring this back to the stock location. If desired. SOS may offer a hub or adaptor but when I called them trying to get some information they acted like I was looking for some top secret info.

The hub or adaptor Spline is a 15MM diameter and 29 spline.
The stock wheel is about 6" deep and the Raid is about 4"
I decided to make my own so I have more options and I’m still not sure I will keep this or build one that follows the contour of the column and have it wrapped in leather. I had some aluminum plate and pipe so I went for it.

I found one more from http://www.streetbitzperformance.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=BKH
This one sells for under 30.00 but I have not tried it to confirm it’s the same.

Last edited:
Here are some of the photos from the adaptor I'm making. And yes it would be easier if there is one that just bolts up however I did not like the rib look that is available and could not get anyone to give me information on them. so I made one smooth by turning down an aluminum pipe I had laying around. I also cut the flats from some 1/2" aluminum plate I had using a hole saw. I will weld it all together as soon as I get my spline area fabricated. This is the hard part because I could just use the one from my NSX wheel but I just don’t want to rob the parts from a perfect wheel.

This is the part from the stock wheel I need to find, build or just pull from my wheel. It is wielded to the stock wheel to a plate that is bolted in I believe.

That's a nice looking wheel.

You should be able to find an older Civic hub adapter that will work. The spline is the same size as the NSX. If I remember correctly, there were just a few mods needed for the Civic hub to work with the NSX (holes for clock ring).

Yeah, The zinc adapters would need to bolted to.

This is one of my projects on the back burner. You need to have a custom broach made to cut the spline and the rest you could turn on a lathe.

Good news I found the spline in steel so welding will be no problem. $20.00
It should be here next week.
Thanks

Bad news they are out of stock and no new dates to produce. So i may be going back to the junk yard to find one of the wheels below. I have been told that the following Hondas use 29 spline however i need to confirm the the diameter. I bet its the same. Ken

90-93 Accord (377mm diameter)
94-97 Accord
88-91 Civic
92-95 Civic
92-97 del Sol (371mm diameter)
92-95 Domani
90-93 Integra
94-01 Integra
88-91 Prelude (371mm diameter)
92-96 Prelude

Bad news they are out of stock and no new dates to produce. So i may be going back to the junk yard to find one of the wheels below. I have been told that the following Hondas use 29 spline however i need to confirm the the diameter. I bet its the same. Ken

90-93 Accord (377mm diameter)
94-97 Accord
88-91 Civic
92-95 Civic
92-97 del Sol (371mm diameter)
92-95 Domani
90-93 Integra
94-01 Integra
88-91 Prelude (371mm diameter)
92-96 Prelude

What on earth is a Domani??

Ken thanks for doing all this man, really following this closely.

OK 20.00 later and I have my part. Our local junk yard had tons on these he said just pick one. This one looks like it came off a Civic. I keep everyone posted.

This is the Airbag wire that comes with the new airbag and the one I got from the junk yard so I did not need to cut mine. I just need to splice, crimp and heat shrink. I have also included a couple photos of the spline I picked up from the junk yard now welded to a 1/8" plate. this will be drilled and bolted to the aluminum hub I'm making. more to come soon. Ken

Ken I recommend that you solder and heat shrink that, not use crimp connectors.

Will do. Thanks
One question on the NSX air bag the connector has two wires they are marked #1 and #3 would anyone know if one is a ground?
The other would become positive when in an accident I guess.
Thanks

I just found my answer below.

The Raid airbag does not have a polarity.
In other words, there is no +12V and ground, either way is correct.

This makes easy:)
Ken

Update

I have now finished option one other than final paint. This is a round spacer or adaptor. The next will be one that follows the contour of the steering wheel like the stock NSX steering wheel. It will use the spline section that I have bolted in place so I will not need to make another one.
I think the stock wheel rear cover could be cut to do this but once again I do not want to cut my wheel up. Ken

Finished the paint and ready to install. Just in time my motor should be back from CT in two weeks and all this can be installed. If anyone has the SOS short adaptor and needs me to confirm if it will fit just let me know. I think it will but a new hole patteren may be needed. It should be simple.
Ken

I have never used the Cruise control so I did not hook it up. It would have been no problem but I would have ordered the steering wheel with a couple buttons or the shift paddles to use as my switches. I only made one hub however I'm sure any NSX hub will work. Maybe an SOS hub? The steering wheel to a hub is the easy part. It’s the hub to the column that is a little more work. Ken

Ken that looks amazing. I am seriously considering this.

here is my Gauge set up aem multi gauge that reads of my AEM EMS aem wide band and most important nitrous pressure gauge...everything
u guys see including the double din sony radio was done by me

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited:
Back