• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

RCI timeshare

I was wondering if anyone here has any experience or feedback (good or bad) with RCI timeshare. I am looking into a timeshare with them and have heard lots of bad and good things about timeshares in general. I have to decide this week if this is something I should persue. The concept seems to be good but I have no idea how easy a system it is to use. By the way the program I am looking at has a point system (49,500).

Thanks in advance for any input.

Wade Mackay

I own an affiliated time share through a Bluegreen property. We actually just made our first reservation with RCI for one of the properties listed in their book, so I can't give you much to go on other than they were helpful, and the reservation was fairly easy. The question I would throw back at you is why do you think you need to make a decision this week? Also, have you checked eBay for RCI points for sale?

Hey KGP , thanks for the response

The reason I need to make a decision this week is that this past weekend my wife and I signed up for a timeshare at a local resort. It had the usual buy today and get all these extras which seem to add value. I have a 10 day cooling off period in which I can cancel with no penalty. I am trying to determine if this program is as good as it sounds or just a bad purchase. I am worried that I may not have enough points to go to where I want to go. As I see it the concept is to get the most points you may need for the lowest price. What I am not sure if these are really resellable and does the desirablity of your property(off season/peak) effect your travelling or only how many points your property is worth.

The timeshare concept is new to me and I am just trying to see if this is for me and my family. I thought that by asking other timeshare owners I might get some of the real life experience not just the sales pitch. It is a long established resort that is new to the timeshare world. I am being pitched that this is the time to buy (the beginning of the project). Just hoping to get some opinions.

Thanks wade

anything else you can explain would be a great help

My parents own a couple timeshares down near San Diego, Ca. that I believe are also through RCI. They love to go down there and golf, and do whatever older :smile: people do. They use it about once a month for a few days at a time. They love it down there and I have been too, and it seems OK.

The only problem I see is when you want to go somewhere else (Europe for example) you need to have a place booked like a year and a half in advance, or longer. The good places book up early and are almost impossible to trade through the network with the one you own. I don't know about you, but I have no idea what I will be doing in 12 months from now, let alone trying to stay at a sub par "condo" on the wrong side of Hawaii. If you plan to use the "location" you buy at, then yea, go for it, but if you think you will just be trading points and going everywhere but the place you own, I would suggest against it.

My parents go once a month, and get their money's worth. If you can do that too, it could be good for you. Just don't let them "convince" you how easy it is to trade you property, or points for other more desirable locations. My parents have the blue (or maybe it's red), which is the best property all year round that RCI offers, and we were just barely able to get a reservation in Kauai 14 months in advance.

I would just save the money, put it in the bank and make a reservation at a nice condo at a place of your location, not some rundown place off the beaten path like RCI will put you in.

Just my opinion. :cool:

In general timeshares are way overpriced. If you feel like you really want one, look on Ebay. They usually resell for less than half the original price. Any of the big names, Marriott, Sheraton, Hilton, Hyatt, or Fairfield would be a good choice.

It seems strange to me to buy a timeshare sight unseen over the internet but that may be the way to go. The new system of points seems to be much more popular than the origional fixed week program. I have talked to people who have timeshares and they for the majority love the system, but most are on the older fixed week. They all seem to feel the points system is the way to go. Most people that have never had a timeshare say to stay away, not worth it. I used to feel the same way but I also knew nothing about them. I am wondering if the negative sterotype effects peoples perception. I still am not sure what to do and my deadline is on Tuesday.

The more I learn about timeshares the more I feel comfortable with the concept. What I think I need to decide if I am paying to much for my personal timeshare for what I am getting. The advice I am getting about purchasing a resale seems like something I should look into but seems like even a stranger purchase. I have been fortunate to travel to a lot of high end resorts for golf , conventions and holidays because of my work and because my wife is a travel agent. Even with her deals we know what it can cost to travel and now with two kids the price is even more. We are taking a cruise in Oct and going to Casa de Campo in the Dom. Republic (4 bedroom villa with another couple and their kids) in November. When you price these trips for a family the cost is :eek: . The timeshare system "seems" like a good way to go.

Thanks guys for the opinions both pro and con, this is what I am looking for keep them coming.

Wade

I own Hilton timeshare which I can transfer points to use RCI.
In general, timeshare sales are made under pressure. This is why you feel there is a deadline to purchase in the next few days.
Dont fall for that. They will keep dropping the price until you say yes.
I have said NO 5 times to a timeshare salesperson and he and the manager kept dropping the price each time.
As I was walking out of the sales office, I was given more opportunities to purchase at 50% off the initial price.
There are limitation on timeshares. Prime times are hard to get without 6 months reservation. You are also forced to take vacation, which can be good or bad. There are taxes and maintenance fees you pay every year which can add up to $600-$800,or more.
If you truly want to buy one, take you time, let them work for their money just like you. DO NOT FALL FOR THAT PRESSURE.The good deal you heard will always be there. Have them give you sample vacations at different locations for a fraction of the regular cost.DO NOT RUSH.They dont offer you any more of a deal than the person after you.
I went through this a several times already. Look around, there are many other timeshare companies.
PM me if you want more of my experience.

Back