• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

re-sale value hurt by repainting?

Just to clarify guys I was specificly talking about the nsx paint,and if you look at the description of the proccess it sounds quite involved and I would think the average high volume production car coming off the line does not have a comparable coating.Nor would the average repaint replicate the proccess.

docjohn said:
Just to clarify guys I was specificly talking about the nsx paint,and if you look at the description of the proccess it sounds quite involved and I would think the average high volume production car coming off the line does not have a comparable coating.Nor would the average repaint replicate the proccess.

Quick thing about the process. It sounds complicated and expensive - which it is - but don't be mislead. The reason why they had to do it this way is b/c there were no binding agents back in the day to get paint to stick onto aluminum. This was the only way back then. We now have the technology to pour out of a can as a binding agent to adhere to aluminum. Not a 20+ stage process... Kinda different from a 20+ stage hand wet sanded base/clear job. Apples and Oranges.

Thankyou,without me doing any reserch on the matter if what you say is true,and it sounds good,that might explain the original need for that proccess.Anyone here know if Honda updated its paint proccess in later years to reflect advances in paint chemistry,or did they continue to use the workaround?Interresting about the bonding to Aluminum.

Amluminum on cars has been around much longer than the NSX. Airplanes even longer than that.
Hoods on Lincolns and Cadillacs have been aluminum on some models for more than 10 years prior to the NSX. The technology to refinish them in the aftermarket has existed then as now. Paint technology is constantly improving but it did exist and there were good realible working solutions for the refinisher in the field.

Thanks Joe,so maybe the voodoo Honda still does with the paint has merit.Any way the yellow is barely hanging onto the spoiler and chipping off the wiper blade,now to find that elusive bottle of yuma yellow in the garage.

Part of the voodoo is the multi bake process was to heat harden the body panels to give them more strength. They have been seeking to improve the strength of the panels and as of 1997(?) have changed them to a harder version.

Last edited:
docjohn said:

I dont see the NSX paint as being any more superior than any other paint. I think what the NSX has in its favor is the slope of the car, rocks are deflected off instead of the panel taking the full force of the rock.

As far as paint goes, IMO factory paint is only slightly better then a quality aftermarket job.

In general, a repaint will lower the value of the car compared to another with excellent paint. I'm not saying that a repaint can't look better than oem. In fact, for cars in general, oem paint looks pretty sloppy. At least it does to me, even for many highend cars. Of course, I was criticizing one of the Coddington cars at the Good Guys show for looking like it was rushed. ;)

The one thing that I don't like about repaint is the flex in the new paint. I had my integra bumpers repainted cuz of scratches. The original paint didn't peel from the scratches but the new paint starts to crack and peel once theres a scratch. I assume the paint settles more and has more flex after a while. Now I just live w/ the scratches on my nsx. No matter what, you can't avoid eventually getting a scratch.

As for resale, why resale? Just keep it forever and run it to the ground :biggrin:

nsxtacey said:
The one thing that I don't like about repaint is the flex in the new paint. I had my integra bumpers repainted cuz of scratches. The original paint didn't peel from the scratches but the new paint starts to crack and peel once theres a scratch. I assume the paint settles more and has more flex after a while. Now I just live w/ the scratches on my nsx. No matter what, you can't avoid eventually getting a scratch.

As for resale, why resale? Just keep it forever and run it to the ground :biggrin:

The properties of flex additive diminish over time. Surface preparation and the correct process will eliminate this common problem.

pbassjo said:
m3456y said:
I have a repainted black '96. It is a perfect, better than factory, paint job - but it is repainted. I was wondering if that hurts the value of the car.

As you have described, no.

MCM said:
If the day comes when these cars become collectible,
yes it will kill the value. [/0QUOTE]

Survivor cars don't necessarily bring more than properly restored cars, in fact they have a much smaller market than a well restored car.
On a collectible ANY mod or change from original could negatively impact a car's value. Examples are: Tubi exhaust, DC Headers, RM cf intake,
Koni's, Eibach springs, Dali swaybars & harness bar,
Zanardi wheels & Slotted rotors. :wink: Unless you have all the original hardware and parts correctly re-installed.

If you don't drive, mod or buy a car it keeps the value even better. :biggrin:
(I know I'm being a smart ---)

I agree, however, in the price range that the NSX seems destined to inhabit very few will spend the money required to do a proper restoration. As a general rule aside from the cars like Dusenbergs, GTO Ferraris, and Hemi Cudas where the car is worth restoring no matter what the condition as long as it has proper VIN tags and numbers, most cars are worth more when completely original for the simple reason that any car can be restored many times but is only original once. I think this may actually turn out to more significant for the NSX than most other cars, because the incredible quality of the paint ( esp. the formula red ) on the early model cars was one of the things that set them apart from their compettion.

Back