• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Ready to finally sell my beloved - heavily modified '93 nsx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Prime Members:

I have finally decided to sell my 1993 black beauty, against my better judgement. But, it's a must in order to stay married.

Nevertheless, since I have never sold vehicles other than trading them in to a new car dealer, I'm not sure how to go about this, and your sincere recommendations are truly appreciated.

I live in So. Cal and have heard a number of scam / robbery situations out there - so I'm hesitant to allow test drives. I've thought of consigning it to a specialty, high end pre-owned dealership, but unsure about how the vehicle will be treated and represented. I've also thought about using an auction like Barret-Jackson or RM Auctions. But, just unsure of the process

The car is very heavily modified - almost 100% by Comptech, and is primarily a track vehicle. However, it does pass smog when the 'cats' are reinstalled. As a result of the sizeable investment, I'm very hesitant to allow test drives as stated earlier.

Please point me in the right direction, as I'm at a loss as to where to even start this process.

Thank you kindly for your constructive feedback and suggestions.

1UFO 2C

I think the right direction is pointing to keep the car and get a divorce. :excitement:

In all seriousness, I think you'll know real quick off the bat if the person interested is serious or not. They'll ask the right questions and speak to you like a proper human being. No need for consignment. Good luck and sorry to hear you have to get rid of your baby.

My wife hates my NSX too. The only reason why I still have it is that I bought and maintain the car with my inheritance, so she cant use the cost of the car against me. I know this does not help answer your question, but at least you know that some understands the problems of a disapproving wife LOL

I would advertise it here on Prime...it is the best place to sell to other NSX enthusiasts.

I would recommend putting the CATS back on and getting a SMOG certificate for the buyer. This is good for 90 days.

Normally an interested buyer would want you to take the car somewhere of their choosing for a PPI (Pre-Purchase Inspection) at their expense.

Once the appraisal comes back and is acceptable by the buyer then you can schedule a test drive at a public place that you feel comfortable with (Hotel or Resturant perhaps).

Meet up with the buyer and start out the test drive with you behind the wheel first, then give them a turn while you have your hand on the hand brake :)
Plan a route in advance and make sure the buyer knows the route you want to take.

After the test drive you would return to the meeting place and both sign a prepared Bill of Sale and proceed to the buyers bank to get cash or a cashiers check.

Once funds have been transfered then you sign over the title and give them the smog cert.

Good Luck with the sale!

The final step would be notifying DMV by filling out a Notice of Sale or Transfer to release your liability to that vehicle.

I think everything Big D said is right on, however I would do the transaction at my own bank, so you have security and put it right into your account. I would also bring a friend along to take you home and also hang around at the test drive.

Gents,

Your reply and advice is truly appreciated. Thanks for taking the time to post your replies.

I will agree with Big D that would be the smartest and safest way to sell your car (as well as getting the most out of it too). Sorry to see you go, but hopefully this fixes your problems

Another important point is to check and take a photo of the buyers ID at some point early in the process.

Another important point is to check and take a photo of the buyers ID at some point early in the process.

Yes, and only accept CASH (and get one of those counterfeit pens). No personal checks, no Paypal and NO cashiers checks unless you see the bank print it yourself! Cashiers checks are easy to forge (almost all online scams involve fake cashiers checks).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back