• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

realistic goals?

with an early 90s nsx is it possible to run low 12s without nos or spending 10k in performance mods?

If you mean "around $10k" then you are pretty much limited to an inexpensive turbo (probably a custom job) or supercharger (the forthcoming Basch Boost unit). If you mean a true $10k ceiling, yes, you can get a Comptech supercharger for less than that.

[This message has been edited by Lud (edited 29 March 2002).]

I think rmani was saying without spending $10k (correct me if I'm wrong here rmani).

The Mark Basch kit should be able to get you to the low 12's for <$7k, no?

[This message has been edited by spookyp (edited 29 March 2002).]

The answer to the question is: not likely.

You said "without" spending 10k in performance mods and "without" NOS.

Take those 2 out of the equation, and you'll be lucky to run mid-13's, let alone 12's on an early 90's NSX. On a 97+ NSX, different story.

Stock 91-92 NSX's were qaurtered by Motor Trend, Road and Track and other various magazines... the times were in the 13.6/13.7 range.

When my NSX was bone stock (I have a 92) I was able to consistantly run 13.6 to 13.8 on the quarter mile.

The last time I took my car to the drags, I pulled a 12.8 on 18x10 street tires, with just short gears, clutch, 4:55 R&P, lighter flywheel, exhaust, and NOS. (Did I hit $10K yet?)

The car is a lot more modified now, but I have yet to take it for a quarter mile run.

I know how to drive my car pretty well... but I couldn't break 12.8 that day with what I had back then, I spent far too much time spinning wheels, instead of moving forward :P I ran 10 times that day, using different RPM's at launch and different launch techniques, still no luck past 12.8.

Today with whats on the car, Im sure Id do much better.

-B

yeah i was basically saying without spending even 10k dollars i was basically thinking full exhaust without cats and maybe some small engine goodies. i am not as concerned about the eta as i am with the trap speed i am hoping to get close to 110 in the traps if that's at all possible. i dont like nos nor superchargers all that much and i remember seeing a dyno of someones who put down some good rwhp numbers with just basic bolt ons to a 92. if they trap around 13.7@ 104 (??) stock is 6 more mph that hard to achieve? thanks for the replies guys.

On a related note, the latest BMI has some record numbers for NSX 1/4 miles times. The New Type S ran a 12.7 fully loaded and the old S Zero ran an incredible 12.4. Can't wait to see what the New Type R with even less weight will pull off.

how much weight can u really save on an nsx i thought they were around 3000lbs even to begin with thanks to all the aluminum.

Originally posted by BoneZ:
I know how to drive my car pretty well... but I couldn't break 12.8 that day with what I had back then, I spent far too much time spinning wheels, instead of moving forward :P I ran 10 times that day, using different RPM's at launch and different launch techniques, still no luck past 12.8

You contradict yourself here... If you know how to drag race the car you wouldn't spend all day spinning the tires!

I know a '91 NSX with intake, headers, exhaust, clutch and the RM NOS kit which ran a 12.3 at MIR on street tires...

[This message has been edited by Lud (edited 01 April 2002).]

Lud: That day I ran the 12.8 I had just installed all my new "toys" the week before. ie: clutch, short gears, 4:55 R&P etc...

I spent most of the day learning to adjust to the changes, especially in the gearing (this one took a while to get used to). Going from driving the car for 4-5 years semi-stock... and then throwing a whirl of changes into it explains my variations at the strip.

Today, its a different story
smile.gif

-B

Back