• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Really angry at Honda right now.

I don't know where to start, so I guess I'll just get to it.

My Accord transmission will die.
It started with excessive revving, and then slipping, and now jerking.
This certainly doesn't make me feel any better, but at least confirms my suspicions as true:

http://www.v6performance.net/forums/showthread.php?t=9664

I have come to a general consensus that Honda sucks at making automatic transmissions. (Or transmissions in general if you count the snap ring issue)
What's worse is they can't handle any additional power,

(I read when the CTSC came out for the V6 Accord it came with a pulley designed for approx 6.5-7 PSI. Turns out 40 extra horses at the wheel are just too much for a Honda automatic transmission to handle, so Comptech pulled the part in favor of a more restrictive unit.)

I don't like the idea of having a rebuilt tranny put in, knowing it could possibly fail again. I honestly think selling my car before it gets any worse is the best option, with a new rebuilt tranny if possible just to be nice.

I just don't want to deal with the hassle of 1) searching for a new car I like and and can afford right now, set up financing, set up new insurance or 2)Deal with the even bigger hassle of finding a good used car I like, and new insurance.

I drive A LOT so I like having a good mileage car like the Honda, and Love that it's a 2+2 coupe. I can't think of anything right off the top of my head that is a 2+2 automatic that falls in that category and is a sub 25K car. :confused:
I don't think I could deal with a standard for daily (bumper to bumper, rush hour) traffic.

Needless to say I'll be calling Honda Monday morning, and plugging in new insurance rate estimates online to see what might work for a new beater and get a head start. :mad:

I followed many threads regarding Honda autos in Accords, Odysseys, MDX, TL etc. I just don't get why Honda cannot get this right.

I think everyone who has a Honda with an auto should do a few things to protect their transmission. One, put a heavy duty trans oil cooler on it. The OEM oil cooler is puny, go for a large aftermarket one, they cost about $50 and is a fairly easy DIY. It's always a good idea to have the trans running cooler.... trust me, these things COOK the trans oil.

Two, unless you are on the highway, lock the transmission out of top gear. This will prevent the transmission from shifting so frequently and it makes a more pleasant drive albeit with a slight decrease in mpg. I will give you an example of how this helps: the route I take to the in-laws ranges from 35-50 mph and hilly, if left in D4 the van will shift between 3rd and 4th gear about 50 times.... lock it out of D4 and NO shifts. When the trans shifts, heat builds up as the clutch packs are engaged thereby produced unwanted heat. This is how my mechanic explains it to my feeble mind anyway.

Last thing you can do is get the extended Honda Care warranty if possible.

good luck

hlweyl said:
Two, unless you are on the highway, lock the transmission out of top gear.

ehh, the wrong reason most of us bought a Honda is to not put in a larger cooler or "protect" the trannsmission in the first place.

I have to agree, Honda royally screwed up with the 5spd Auto's from 2001 - 2003. They completely redesigned the new 5 spd auto for 2004 MY.

I was looking for a daily driver a few months back. I decided to get a used accord. After doing all the reserch, I made sure I avoided the 5 spds and got a 2000 Accord EX-V6 with 4 spd Auto. It had a few more scratches but I was willing to put up with the dinks to get a 4 spd. pretty pathetic if you think about it.

steveny said:
Who produces the transmissions for Honda? I assume it is not Borg Warner automotive.
Honda produces its own transmissions, including one million per year at their plant in Russells Point, Ohio, where transmissions have been built since 1996 (more than nine million transmissions were previously built at the Anna engine plant during 1989-1996) and in Japan. Honda recently announced plans to build another transmission manufacturing plant in Georgia, to supply automatic transmissions to the plant in Lincoln, Alabama, for the Odyssey minivan and Pilot SUV.

Knowing how very seriously Honda takes quality control, I would be shocked - shocked! - if they still have these problems with the all-new transmission in their new vehicles.

Is it a common problem for older Honda too?

It is now one year I daily drive a 1995 Honda Accord Coupe 2.2 (produced in the US) and it is automatic (something not very common around here).

Should I take special care? Thanks for any information!

gheba_nsx said:
Is it a common problem for older Honda too?

It is now one year I daily drive a 1995 Honda Accord Coupe 2.2 (produced in the US) and it is automatic (something not very common around here).

Should I take special care? Thanks for any information!

ya i heard the same thing. i always here about accords having transmission problems

gheba_nsx said:
Also the older ones? I know about the last generation (1998-2002) but about the previous I am not sure. :confused:
I think the older tans, un until 1997 were solid. There are always tranny failures here and there for whatever reason, but the Honda auto tranny in those previous years were good. Within my family, we have owned many Honda and Acura automatic cars from the 1980 un until 1995 and none had a tranny failure. Most went into the 100K+ miles and the most miles being my dads beater 90 Accord with 240K miles and still going. Within my circle of Honda friends none had a tranny problem in the older cars. However, the new trannies bolted to the J spec engines since 1998 have had a lot of trouble.

ChrisK said:
I think the older tans, un until 1997 were solid. There are always tranny failures here and there for whatever reason, but the Honda auto tranny in those previous years were good. Within my family, we have owned many Honda and Acura automatic cars from the 1980 un until 1995 and none had a tranny failure. Most went into the 100K+ miles and the most miles being my dads beater 90 Accord with 240K miles and still going. Within my circle of Honda friends none had a tranny problem in the older cars. However, the new trannies bolted to the J spec engines since 1998 have had a lot of trouble.

Thanks Chris! I feel safer now! :)

Just got off the phone with Honda North America.
I was pleased with how helpful the CS rep was, aside from skipping around the question:

"Well there was a recall for your power seats..."
"And the transmission?"
"No recalls for your car."
"I was reffering to the problems. What can Honda do about it? It's one of the automatics."
"Oh that..." < his tone of voice here wasn't very comforting.

They assigned me a case #.

I need to have one of the dealers look at it and state that there's a problem before Honda can step in and do anything, such as goodwill the repair or give me a new (refurbished) unit.

From talking with other owners though, I have a feeling they'll say something to the extent "it runs. it's fine." or may deny me since I don't always get the scheduled maintenance from the dealer (versus doing it myself).

NetViper - call Honda North America at 800-999-1009 X3 if you're curious about the TL. I know this problem effected the previous generation of TL.
As Ken said, I'd be shocked as well if this was continuing, but from the sound of AndyH and his recall letter, it's possible.

AndyH - have you taken your car in?

beeker16 said:
I have a feeling they'll say something to the extent "it runs. it's fine." or may deny me since I don't always get the scheduled maintenance from the dealer (versus doing it myself).
Doing maintenance yourself is not a legitimate reason for denying warranty or goodwill coverage for a repair, and I have never heard of them doing so for that reason.

I think there's a US Federal law, don't remember it's name, that prevent's manufacturers from denying claims b/c of regular maintenance done by a third party or the owner. I believe it also applies to modifications to the car that don't have anything to do with a seperate issue. For instance, they can't deny a warranty claim on your transmission if you put aftermarket wheels on, etc.

gheba_nsx said:
BMW in Europe does that if you do not closely follow the maintenace at the dealership :( .
Here, warranty claims can be denied if the recommended maintenance isn't performed, but not based on who performs it.

Ponyboy said:
I think there's a US Federal law, don't remember it's name, that prevent's manufacturers from denying claims b/c of regular maintenance done by a third party or the owner. I believe it also applies to modifications to the car that don't have anything to do with a seperate issue. For instance, they can't deny a warranty claim on your transmission if you put aftermarket wheels on, etc.
You are referring to The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act (15 U.S.C. 2302(C)). I have never heard of it applied based on who performs maintenance, but rather, only applied to the use of aftermarket parts. However, it's possible that it extends to that as well. You can read more about it on the SEMA website here and here. Keep in mind that SEMA is the Specialty Equipment Manufacturers Association, the industry group for aftermarket parts manufacturers and dealers, so they are likely to address primarily the parts issue rather than the servicer issue.

Ponyboy said:
They can't deny warranty if you have maintenance done elsewhere (including your own house), unless they offer the maintenance for free. BMWs here have free maintenance while the car is under warranty, so they can deny you a warranty claim if you do it yourself.

Patdeisa said:
... BMWs here have free maintenance while the car is under warranty, so they can deny you a warranty claim if you do it yourself.

The maintenance is not free. You pay for it up front in the purchase price of the car.

Patdeisa said:
They can't deny warranty if you have maintenance done elsewhere (including your own house)
I knew that this was true; I've seen signs saying so at my local independent mechanic's shop. I tried finding something on the National Institute for Automotive Service Excellence (ASE) website, but couldn't find anything relevant.

Patdeisa said:
unless they offer the maintenance for free. BMWs here have free maintenance while the car is under warranty, so they can deny you a warranty claim if you do it yourself.
I didn't know this. Thanks for the clarification!

Interesting. Glad i went with the toyo instead of the honda with our new van we bought last week. AWD was the biggest difference, and i had also heard that honda trannys had some issues on the odyssey....

Too bad we couldn't go honda, but i really want this fam van to last a very long time...

huckster said:
Interesting. Glad i went with the toyo instead of the honda with our new van we bought last week. AWD was the biggest difference, and i had also heard that honda trannys had some issues on the odyssey....

Too bad we couldn't go honda, but i really want this fam van to last a very long time...
The problems are only with the previous generation Odyssey. I'm quite confident that the 2005 Odyssey, including its transmission, will be absolutely bulletproof. So should the Sienna...

nsxtasy said:
The problems are only with the previous generation Odyssey. I'm quite confident that the 2005 Odyssey, including its transmission, will be absolutely bulletproof. So should the Sienna...

The previous generation Odysseys had the 4 sp auto and then went to the 5 sp auto prior to the redesign. Honda kept the same 5 sp after the redesign of the Odyssey. The 5 sp autos (same one's used in the TL, Pilot, MDX) had thousands of recalls. I believe they install some type of oil jet kit to try and get more oil to a gear. Now the 4 speed autos have not had a recall but Honda did extend the standard 3 yr/36,000 mi warranty to 100,000 miles due to the high failure rate of the 4 speeds.

So they both have issues but I think we should put this into perspective. Being most of us are Honda guys anyway, we tend to hold their product in high regards and our expectations are much higher compared to that of a domestic. My 01' Odyssey has the 4 sp auto and over 90,000 miles without a problem. Yes, it does run hot and tend to cook the fluid but the larger oil cooler does help.

Give me a Honda auto over the comparable domestic ANYDAY. And I will also take the Honda engine over Toyota also. Toyota has had the "sludge" problem.

Back