• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

Rear aluminium bumper beam

Yep, the 97+ come with an aluminum beam. I *believe* it is about 20 lbs versus 40 lbs for the steel, though someone might slap me with the actual weight :)

I've heard that it's even lighter if you don't have one.... save 20 - 40 lbs depending on configuration :rolleyes:

Just found a source of the weight for the 91-95 rear bumper beam, it's 16.22 lbs the beam alone. The complete bumper is 42.33 lbs. Could the aluminium beam be (guess) 10 lbs? Still not worth to me.

Just found a source of the weight for the 91-95 rear bumper beam, it's 16.22 lbs the beam alone. The complete bumper is 42.33 lbs. Could the aluminium beam be (guess) 10 lbs? Still not worth to me.

Sorry to crash your party but we've already gone over this in the weight reduction thread. I'm willing to bet both of my balls that the rear bumper beam alone (not including the brackets and bumper cover) weights a lot more than 16lbs. More like 45-50....... goldNSX, have you ever had yours out? Perhaps Eurpean NSX's have lighter bumpers..... Mine is out of a 93 by the way.

Sorry to crash your party but we've already gone over this in the weight reduction thread. I'm willing to bet both of my balls that the rear bumper beam alone (not including the brackets and bumper cover) weights a lot more than 16lbs. More like 45-50....... goldNSX, have you ever had yours out? Perhaps Eurpean NSX's have lighter bumpers..... Mine is out of a 93 by the way.

I agree. Nonetheless, I'd still take your bet as there is still a greater than 0 chance that you may be wrong and you lose your balls when you change the environment... eg defective beams, planet with different gravitational forces etc... :biggrin:

Bottom line, it is a weight savings. Some thread back was that the steel is 40 - 50 lbs, the aluminum is 20 -30 lbs. Why don't you mail the seller and ask him how much it weights? ..

that the rear bumper beam alone (not including the brackets and bumper cover) weights a lot more than 16lbs. More like 45-50....... goldNSX, have you ever had yours out? Perhaps Eurpean NSX's have lighter bumpers..... Mine is out of a 93 by the way.

I had mine once out a it was 'about' 20 kg/44lbs for the total bumper. But I never had the beam alone in my hands. I don't think of a difference in the US and Euro version in that point but could be wrong.

Hey Gold,
I looked at the e-bay auction that you linked. I have purchased parts from Joe Toth (the seller). I have full confidence in him. He knows his stuff on NSXs. His company is EZR Cars in Brooklyn, NY. They have salvaged out over 100 NSXs!!!!!!!! I don't really know if it would make that much difference, but if you miss the auction, I bet that you could just send him an e-mail and pick one up.

His e-mail is [email protected].

Drop him a note if you need any parts for your car. Tell him Brad in Boise sent you. I sent him pictures of Afghanistan when I was over there. He loved them.

Brad

Hey Gold,
I looked at the e-bay auction that you linked. I have purchased parts from Joe Toth (the seller). I have full confidence in him. He knows his stuff on NSXs. His company is EZR Cars in Brooklyn, NY. They have salvaged out over 100 NSXs!!!!!!!! I don't really know if it would make that much difference, but if you miss the auction, I bet that you could just send him an e-mail and pick one up.

His e-mail is [email protected].

Drop him a note if you need any parts for your car. Tell him Brad in Boise sent you. I sent him pictures of Afghanistan when I was over there. He loved them.

Brad

I agree. I've done business with Joe before as well and couldn't be more pleased. Joe (EZR Cars) is also listed on prime as a vendor/seller some where on the main pages...

I've not dealt with the seller, but if you look at hisother items, he is breaking some serious machinery, and there is an NSX in the background of the Porsche photo.

regards,

It is quite possible that I was the source for the steel bumper beam weight that was mentioned above. And I did have all the bumper parts removed from my car when I was working on it.
My car is a 1994 with the steel bumper beam.
When I put the various components on a digital scale I ended up with the following numbers:

Right bumper mount: 0.96 Kg = 2.12 lbs
Left bumper mount: 0.58 Kg = 1.28 lbs
Steel bumper beam: 7.36 kg = 16.2 lbs
Complete rear bumper with 2002 lower valence: 19.2kg = 42.3 lbs.

The only difference between the US and European bumper parts AFAIK is the license plate frame. European license plates are bigger and longer than US plates so therefore the license plate frame is wider and the opening in the bumper is thefore larger.

It is quite possible that I was the source for the steel bumper beam weight that was mentioned above.
Steel bumper beam: 7.36 kg = 16.2 lbs
Complete rear bumper with 2002 lower valence: 19.2kg = 42.3 lbs.

Yes, that's true! :wink: And the numbers are about the same I felt in my arms as I took it away two years ago.
So how much can be saved? 3 or 4 kg?

15 lbs according to the seller

Hi Thomas,

Thanks for the update.
Which means that the weight savings with the aluminum bumper beam is not that much, about 1-2 lbs at most.
I don't think this is all that strange. The steel bumper beam is extremely strong, something I have personally tested, albeit non intentional.

For the alu beam to have the same strength, the material is likely to be much thicker.
Nevertheless, for only US$ 99 I would take it if the seller would ship it outside the US. It may be only a few pounds of savings, but it's also the part that literally hangs way back on your car, behind the rear wheels and I suspect it has therefore a much greater effect on the balance of your car than it's weight would suggest.

about 1-2 lbs at most.
Nevertheless, for only US$ 99 I would take it if the seller would ship it outside the US. It may be only a few pounds of savings, but it's also the part that literally hangs way back on your car, behind the rear wheels and I suspect it has therefore a much greater effect on the balance of your car than it's weight would suggest.

1-2 lbs is not that much that's true. Shipping and import taxes will get this part imported to Switzerland to about EUR 200. And thinking positively of -2 lbs at the rearest point it's still EUR 100/1 lbs which is not bad but takes quite a bit of time to get this installed. So it's not my first-choice mod the reduce the weight. In comparison: I can loose 9 lbs with a self-made engine cover and pay max. EUR 300. So that's EUR 35 per lb. Thinking of a new rear wing goes like this: 1500 EUR for -4.5 lb. So that's an expensive one but it's still on the top of rear end. If I really want to loose money at the farest rear end I'd replace the fat Remus exhaust and loose 12 lb. at once. :wink:
But in the end it's better to wait until the CTSC (if I ever...) is available again and beat all those small benefits at once. :wink: After all: Is it worth it or is she already fast enough? That's a question every mod has to pass. :)

Back