• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Rear luggage compartment heat

From what I've been reading, Acura advises not to put a laptop in the 'trunk' due to the heat issues in proximity to the engine/exhaust....has anybody found the heat excessive and if so, has anyone found a solution to make the compartment useable ie insulation, shielding, etc...? Thanks.

I have driven 14 - 16hrs from Omaha to Atlanta in one day and never had issues with my laptop. It gets warm sure, but not stupid hot where I am worried about my electronics. My Ice Cream on the other hand...nope.

I have driven 14 - 16hrs from Omaha to Atlanta in one day and never had issues with my laptop. It gets warm sure, but not stupid hot where I am worried about my electronics. My Ice Cream on the other hand...nope.

Fantastic. Thanks for the 1st-hand experience shared! That makes me feel much better about road trips in the NSX. :biggrin:

Fantastic. Thanks for the 1st-hand experience shared! That makes me feel much better about road trips in the NSX. :biggrin:

No Problem.

I only have a week of seat time so far but as [MENTION=16942]Nukem[/MENTION] says, it does get warm, but not hot enough to ruin electronics IMO. Now if it's over 100F outside and you drive her hard you might get pretty toasty in there.
One thing I did notice though, the compartment does smell like burnt plastic (at least during the first week) and my water bottle was back there. When I went to take a sip the water tasted like the plastic so I had to dump it out. I don't think I would keep any food or drink back there for more than 20 minutes.

Trez I relate....In the 1st Gen cars, learned my lesson on an 800 mile trip to NSXPO in Monterey - put a garment bag (fit perfectly) under the lift up
rear window on the engine cover......result was clothing w/permanent wrinkles.

I live in Mississippi and when its above about 90 and traveling long distances the trunk will get really hot. Hot enough to melt and ruin my gummy vitamins!! LOL

I really don't want to travel with my golf clubs back there - but hey I'm always going to take the NSX on any road trip!!

My recommendation is: I would not put any electronics in the trunk when I traveled during the summer.

One thing I did notice though, the compartment does smell like burnt plastic (at least during the first week) and my water bottle was back there. When I went to take a sip the water tasted like the plastic so I had to dump it out. I don't think I would keep any food or drink back there for more than 20 minutes.

That trunk odor will be around for a while. I still smell it after one year and 3.5 k miles. Some folks leave the trunk open after each drive to hasten the dissipation of that NC1 aroma.

It gets really hot in my car. I wouldn't put any electronics in my car. However it does make for a great take out transporter. No more cold pizza on the way home.

Pizza Delivery

Speaking of pizza, I usually picked one up on the way to visit Ben and Crew so they could have a mid day snack. Kept it nice and warm back there!
I have considered installing heat insulation in the engine compartment, but have mixed feelings about it...
AJ

IMG_3331.jpg
NSX Whisperer2.jpg

Maybe Acura can sell these as fleet vehicles for Dominos or something. Get your pizza in 60 seconds or less kind of a deal .

The heat built up in the trunk depends mainly on the color of the car and if you have an aftermarket exhaust. A white car with OEM exhaust will produce much less heat than a black one with an exhaust without metal sheets around it.

I had no idea laptops in the trunk were a no go. I kept 2 laptops driving to and from nsxpo in sept. 8+ hrs of driving each way from So cal and didn't have any issues. I keep everything in the trunk except food and I take it to sam's club often as it is my daily driver

I had no idea laptops in the trunk were a no go. I kept 2 laptops driving to and from nsxpo in sept. 8+ hrs of driving each way from So cal and didn't have any issues. I keep everything in the trunk except food and I take it to sam's club often as it is my daily driver

It is not an issue. If your trunk is getting that hot something might be wrong. I would be worried bumps from the road would cause more problems for your electronics than the heat. Sure maybe 100+ day driving the car hard then maybe.

You can probably be successful turning a pretty good bottle of wine into vinegar by putting it in the trunk........

Death to any chocolate bar!

Back