• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Rear shock/spring removal?

I am in the process of putting a set of Eibach's in (using stock shocks). The fronts went in real easy about an hour to do the front. The rears are turning out to be a different story. Is there a trick to getting it out of the car. I had a hell of a time taking the RH side out and tore the boot on the drive axle in the process. Oh I was real pleased with myself after that one... ;( It seems like it hangs up on the body (the inside body panel covering the motor compartment). Any and all help is appreciated.

Thank you

Roman
93' NSX

Have someone heavy stand on the rotor to push the suspension down. That should give you a bit more clearance to angle the bottom part out and down and then the top part will follow.

Hi Roman,

I spent a good part of last weekend removing and installing Bilstein shocks - I know what you're refering to.

I'm sure you already know, the main thing you have to do for the rear is "pop" it outside of the "mounting ear" and not have it tear up the CV boot. I did this in 2 steps:

1) Using a small pry bar, I partially pryed the shock out of the mounting ear-thing. At this point, the bottom of the shock was still in contact with the part of the mounting ear closest to the rear of the car.

2) I used fairly big pry bar with the far end positioned on the axle and the middle part of the pry bar against the shock. I had someone stand on the rotor to allow some clearance between the shock and CV boot while I pryed the shock out. It was kind of tricky to get the pry bar positioned so it does not slip, but I was able to get it positioned correctly with the axle positioned on the "bend" of the pry bar.

FYI: the pry bars I used look something like this

Also, I did not remove all of the 3 shock assembly nuts (at the top of the shock) - I left one in partially - so the shock is still free to move around.

[This message has been edited by Ojas (edited 21 June 2002).]

I guess my 120lb wife does not count. I did try that last night... I will try the pry bar today when I get off. I only have one side left (LH). It is stuck on the boot at present. Man the manual makes it seem so easy. LOL

Thanks guys... I love the NSX community.

To get the rears out I un-did the front side of the lower A arm. Since this was a one man job, I didn't have anyone else to stand on the rotor or the suspension. It helped to have a screwdriver to align the holes back since they're pre-loaded on a bushing. I have a pics of my tein install, let me know if you want me to send them to you.

I did finish the job up on Friday afternoon. I used to HUGE (4') pry bar to keep a load on the lower A arm. Worked out great and I was able to knock it out in less than an hour. Thanks for the help.

Back