• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

Rear view visibility...

I've sat in an NSX-T, and I noticed that the view through the rear windshield is quite small. I've never sat in an NSX coupe before, so could someone shed some light on whether the rear view visibility is better in the coupe or not? Is it significantly better? Thanks.

-CiaoBoy

My rearward visibility is fine. Except that whoever's behind me always seems to be getting smaller and smaller, further and further away...
biggrin.gif

Originally posted by CiaoBoy:
I've sat in an NSX-T, and I noticed that the view through the rear windshield is quite small.

Paraphrasing Raul Julia from The Gumball Rally <small>one of the best car movies of all friggin' time</small>:

"The first rule of [NSX] driving: what's behind me ... is not important."
biggrin.gif

-Bob

Originally posted by nsxtasy:
What blind spot?

Seriously I don't really have one either. I think if the seat is all the way back you might have a slight blind spot but I can tell you it's much better than other exotic cars.

The view out of the back took me some time to get used to since it's so small (I have a '91 coupe), but what really freaks me out, and still does, is how the rear hatch distorts cars depending on the angle you're looking through. There have been many times when I braked hard because a previous generation mustang behind me looked like a police crown vic because it got flattened by the distortion.

What distortion? I haven't observed any distortion in the rear vision of my NSX.

The only rearward visibility problem I've noticed is in my Integra Type R, in which the rear wing is at the perfect height to block out the cruiser lights that could be on the roof of the Crown Vic behind me. But that's another story, of course.

Is it possible that your rear hatch glass was replaced at some point with an aftermarket part?

Pretty much all cars have some sort of blind spot; however, the one in the NSX-T is the smallest of about ANY car that I have owned - exotic or not (heck, it has better visibility than my wife's Volvo). In terms of exotics, it definitely has the best visibility of any exotic that I have ever been in. I haven't driven the coupe so I can't do a compare and contrast on the rearward visibility. Finally, I have never noticed a distortion through my rearview window.

------------------
'95 Green NSX-T

I had a '94 coupe and now a '00 targa and the rear visibility is much better in the coupe due to the targa's rear engine cover which holds the targa top. The cover is taller than in the coupe so I immediately noticed the visibility was not as good in the targa as it was in the coupe.

------------------
'00 NSX-T, silverstone/blk, #252

Originally posted by byang:
The view out of the back took me some time to get used to since it's so small (I have a '91 coupe), but what really freaks me out, and still does, is how the rear hatch distorts cars depending on the angle you're looking through. There have been many times when I braked hard because a previous generation mustang behind me looked like a police crown vic because it got flattened by the distortion.

I have the same situation in my car. It's like looking through a funhouse mirror... the cars behind you can become a little compressed or stretched out in the vertical plane. Anyone else notice this? My rear window is an original Honda.

Originally posted by nsxtasy:
What distortion? I haven't observed any distortion in the rear vision of my NSX.

The only rearward visibility problem I've noticed is in my Integra Type R, in which the rear wing is at the perfect height to block out the cruiser lights that could be on the roof of the Crown Vic behind me. But that's another story, of course.

Is it possible that your rear hatch glass was replaced at some point with an aftermarket part?

I'm pretty sure that the rear hatch is original (I knew the previous owner and have all the service records). It mainly occurs in the areas immediately around the heater elements for the defroster. Also, I'm 5'7", so the angle at which I look out the back may have something to do with it.

When I first drove a -T I thought the rear visibility was a good bit less, but after spending a bunch of time in one, I realized that the USABLE rear visibility is almost the same.

What it blocked by the -T engine cover is really from the rear spoiler down. That includes the little slit between the spoiler and the trunk. I never looked through that anyway so it is no real loss. At least that's my experience. If you are really tall or short your view may be different.

Back