• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Recalls, maintenance costs and issues summary

After a few years of experience can anybody sum up the recalls, maintenance costs and usual issues of the NC1?

1. Firmware update for the USB port (painless).

2. Dash rattles, they install padding which helps.

3. Gas tank crossover pipe recall. Butt ugly repair, the pictures convinced me I don't want to work on it without a proper lift.

4. Door molding replacement for wind noise. Big ass box!

I haven't spent a dime on anything maintenance wise yet.

Last edited:
I had the windshield replaced, there is a lot of cost variability on this (trim replaced or re-used), it was like $6K, covered my insurance.

I had a cut tire, around $400, covered by my wheel/tire policy.

One oil/filter change at around 8K miles, around $400. I am a bit over 13K miles with 30% oil life. My servicing dealership recommends going by the computer, not annual.

My next service will include the cabin filter. Haven't looked at the price.

I had the lube applied to the window trims related to wind noise, did not request molding replacement.

12V battery was replaced a few months short of 4 years on the road under warranty.

I had the recall to replace the fuel tanks, high mount tail light and thermostat, and to update the apple car play software.

I took the car out for a nice ride yesterday (real snow coming later today in Chicago). I had a guy in a Maserati Ghibli roll down his window at a light to complement the car. He was probably about 30 and had no idea what it was, and looked quite surprise when I said mine was over 4 years old.

Looking at winter / all season tires so called my dealer - their NSX tech left and now works at UPS fixing their trucks. Great. They’re trying to find a replacement. Called the next closet dealer - their NSX tech is no longer there due to covid (hope everyone is ok) and no training of their next guy until covid settles down. Called the third closest dealer and they have two techs ready to go!

Hope the two dealers get NSX techs back in place.

Now debating a second set of wheels/tires so I can swap them myself.

The engine out service is at 75K miles.

I have gone a bit over 13K miles in 4+years.

If I get back to pre-covid 4K per year use, that would get me to that service in 16 years, and I will be 78.

I will celebrate that big bill, if I reach the milestone.

In reality, my annual mileage is expected to stay below 4k per year as the LC 500 convertible is stealing some NSX seat time, and I am thinking I may only want to stay with my day job for another 5 years.

If you do go with a set of winter shoes, I can definitely vouch for the Pirelli Sotto Zero 3 tires. The car is a blast when the weather is cold (and clear) with them on. I also put the run flat version on my LC 500 convertible, same great results.

Let us not forget that with the first generation NSX we were to adjust the valves every 15,000 miles. As it was later learned the valves were not an issue. Instead of adjusting them you verified that they were not too noisy. Also the 60,000 or 5 year requirement for changing the cam belts was way too aggressive. I changed out my belts after over 10 years with 30,000 miles. They were in such good shape that all the original printing was clean and easy to read. I gave them away and a fellow used them in rebuilding his engine. Not saying our new gen NSXs are the same, but time will tell.

If you do go with a set of winter shoes, I can definitely vouch for the Pirelli Sotto Zero 3 tires. The car is a blast when the weather is cold (and clear) with them on. I also put the run flat version on my LC 500 convertible, same great results.
Guessing you just swap the tires and no second set of wheels? Second set of wheels/tires would be easier but with a cost.

Last edited:
Yes, the dealer does it twice a year for me, about $180 each time, sorry I did not include that in my previous summary.

Definitely higher up front cost but no ongoing mounting and balancing costs, no issues with damaging the wheels during the mounting/balancing or damage to the tire beads from repeated stretching.

With the carbo/ceramic rotors, I would rather pay for the tech to remove the wheels/install the wheels using the pins instead of taking chances on me damaging rotors.

Let us not forget that with the first generation NSX we were to adjust the valves every 15,000 miles. As it was later learned the valves were not an issue. Instead of adjusting them you verified that they were not too noisy. Also the 60,000 or 5 year requirement for changing the cam belts was way too aggressive. I changed out my belts after over 10 years with 30,000 miles. They were in such good shape that all the original printing was clean and easy to read. I gave them away and a fellow used them in rebuilding his engine. Not saying our new gen NSXs are the same, but time will tell.
Yes the original schedule (1991 NSX) was 15,000mi for valve clearance. Acura relaxed that after a while (the 1995 service manual said every 30,000 miles). It was not an engine-out service.

I don't think Acura ever said to change the NA1 or NA2 timing belt every 60,000 miles. Even in 1991 the schedule was 90,000mi/6yrs.
The 1991 service manual is available from a link at https://www.nsxprime.com/wiki/Service_manuals

The engine out service is at 75K miles.

I have gone a bit over 13K miles in 4+years.

If I get back to pre-covid 4K per year use, that would get me to that service in 16 years, and I will be 78.

I will celebrate that big bill, if I reach the milestone.

In reality, my annual mileage is expected to stay below 4k per year as the LC 500 convertible is stealing some NSX seat time, and I am thinking I may only want to stay with my day job for another 5 years.

At the rate I’m going I’m looking at that job in 5 years. Yikes.

MC

3. Gas tank crossover pipe recall. Butt ugly repair, the pictures convinced me I don't want to work on it without a proper lift.
Engine out task?

There's only one single garage in my country who can work on it. I don't like such dependencies. But what about in 3-5 years?

Love the covers used to protect the carbo-ceramic disks

Hard to imagine another manufacturer who goes to that level of detail for servicing their cars

Love the covers used to protect the carbo-ceramic disks

Hard to imagine another manufacturer who goes to that level of detail for servicing their cars

Lol the mechanics get a more bespoke service experience than the owner does for spec...

Back