• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

Recommend an air compressor to me!

Hi,

How do you guys pump air into your tires? Gas station or air compressor? I'm interested in an air compressor to pump up the tires in my NSX. Also, I would like to use it for pumping up bicycle tires also. I'm looking for a value priced air compressor. What would you recommend?

John

I use a small portable pump(loud) from a company called airman.

Get something like this:
Portable 12V powerpack, startbooster, emergency worklight, aircompressor all in one.
I have a 900 Amps (strongest) version (different brand though) and it is very easy to have around to pump up tyres and help start cars with drained batteries.
Can be charged up either in 12V car socket or at home with AC adapter.

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/88890...ers-Starters/Draper-12V-Power-Pack-Compressor

Hi,

...I'm interested in an air compressor to pump up the tires in my NSX. Also, I would like to use it for pumping up bicycle tires also. I'm looking for a value priced air compressor. What would you recommend?

John

Just for tires and value priced? Go to Wal-Mart or Target and get the cheapest small air pump they have.

That looks like what Im after. My current compressor only does 3.7@90psi.

I will watch this for a sale. The compressor is $399 ALONE up here though!

So how do you like it?

It works great, kind of noisy, but plenty of pressure. I bought a different hose, since the one they give you is pretty cheap.

Thanks. I like the fact that it has wheels. When I wash my car at work I can blow the loose water from all the cracks and crevises. Gotta buy something soon for home.:smile:

Thanks. I like the fact that it has wheels. When I wash my car at work I can blow the loose water from all the cracks and crevises. Gotta buy something soon for home.:smile:

Thats a good idea for around the taillights.:smile:

I bought a 7hp 60gal tank compressor from Home Depot a few years ago for about $500. and it's great. I keep the compressor in the basement, so there is no noise in the garage, the basement is an ideal place for a compressor too, clean cool air to feed it.
I bought a big one , so I could use air tools, paint, pump tires, sandblast etc, it can do it all.

If the OP doesn't want to get a compressor (with a tank and higher cost) but a tire inflator instead, then I would suggest this Slime model:

http://www.amazon.com/Slime-COMP06-..._1?ie=UTF8&s=automotive&qid=1214694776&sr=1-1

I have a truck whose tires I inflate to about 55 psi. I tried other models that I found at Pep Boys and found that most of the ones that deliver volume to inflate quickly also stall. By that I mean when you connect them to a 50+ psi tire and try to turn them on, the motor can't get started against the resistance and burns out your fuse. If you get one that is very cheap but promises very high pressures, usually, it does so by pumping very little volume, which can take way too long for a big truck tire. This Slime model I found does a decent job of providing volume and pressure. It's not stall proof, but I found it inflates pretty fast, the gauge is pretty accurate, and is quiet. To avoid any chance of stalling, I turn it on first, then connect the hose to the tire. It doesn't take too much space so I can take it to the track in the NSX (yeah, even though there is a stock inflator, I don't want to put it through track abuse).

I had the $39.99 one from my local auto store for couple years now, they called it donut size or something, they won't have enough volume to hook up any air tools, but it's plenty enough to pump tires, and even if you need some compressed air to clean stuff...

Are you able to get stubburn lugs off without a breaker bar? Is 4.9 cfm enough?

My compressor puts out 3.7 cfm and I cannot get 100% of the lugs off. Im looking for more!

Are you able to get stubburn lugs off without a breaker bar? Is 4.9 cfm enough?

My compressor puts out 3.7 cfm and I cannot get 100% of the lugs off. Im looking for more!

I had to use a breaker bar on two lugs...but I only had it up to 100psi at the time.

It works great, kind of noisy, but plenty of pressure. I bought a different hose, since the one they give you is pretty cheap.

Yep, I bought a 50ft hose as well and as far as it being noisey, yes it is, but only relative to silence. This is a oil based pump and is quieter than non-oil based-- KH

Yep, I bought a 50ft hose as well and as far as it being noisey, yes it is, but only relative to silence. This is a oil based pump and is quieter than non-oil based-- KH

Thats funny, mine is oil free so that explains why mine is somewhat noisy

From Sears website:

Oil-Free Pump Design - Maintenance-free with no oil to add
Quiet Operation - 78dBA per ISO3744

Back