• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Recommend me another handgun!!!

Ok, it's time again. I've got that itch. It's time I get myself another handgun to add to my collection. In case you haven't been keeping up with Vega$ NSX current affairs, I already have:

Glock 21 (Full Size .45 Auto)
Glock 26 (SubCompact 9mm)
Kahr CM9 (Micro 9mm)

Guns01.jpg

So here's my situation. As you can see, I have full size and micro CCW covered. No need for any Desert Eagles or Derringers. I want something mid-sized, somewhere between hand cannon and pinky pistol. Due to my Glock preference, I'm leaning towards a Glock 30 but I want to stay open minded and see what else is out there. The H&K UPS Compact is catching my eye. So here are my parameters:

- NO revolvers (SemiAuto Only)
- Cost is of no concern
- I am open to different calibers but I already have a mountain of .45 auto and 9mm ammo, so I have a slight preference for those calibers.
- No full size or CCW frame sizes. I'm looking for an all-around superstar. The jack of all trades if you will
- NO 1911's. Although I have much love for all 1911's, now is not the time. However, matching plated 1911's is written in my future.
- No preference in striker fire pins or double action hammers, but NO single action pistols
- 10 round magazine max :frown: Stupid California laws
- Must have rail for lazer/light mount

Ok, so have at it. Since we have a pretty experienced shooter group here, I want all the feedback I can get. I've already committed to buying by next weekend so cowboy up and start shooting me suggestions (pun most definitely intended)! Once I pull the trigger on something (again) I'll post up what I ended up with here! :smile: TIA!

Last edited:
My second choice would be an FN FiveseveN. 20 rounds in the mag +1 in the pipe. When I carry mine it it loaded with T-6 ammo from eliteammunition.com

Oh forgot to mention. 10 rd magazine limit. I'm in the people's republic of California now so no more 33 rounder G17 magazines for me anymore. :redface:

virtually all of my friends in law enforcement use the 40 calibers. glock 23 being the favorite.

why? it delivers the most energy in the body. anything larger may go right through.

btw smith & wesson has a military and police gun that feels better in my hand than a glock.

how about Beretta px4 or 92?

Last edited:
You don't have a full size. Those are much smaller then my AR15 pistol :biggrin:.

I would suggest a DAO in 40. Haven't kept up with the new ones as i'm still carrying my S&W 4053TSW and always will cause i love it. Of all my guns it is my favorite.

Mike

sw4053tsw.jpg

Walther PPS. I'm sure you know, in California... have it converted to single shot so you can buy it, then convert it back...

Last edited:
I had the same itch and added a S&W M&P 40c. It's comfortable to carry and feels great at the range. It also meets your state laws with magazine capacity. I also have a Sig P228, Kahr PM40, and Keltec P3AT, but I always fins myself carrying the S&W. :)

I second the suggestion you get an all-metal gun. I shot a Ruger GP100 (.357) a few weeks ago and the trigger feel was completely different than say a Glock. It was a tack driver also. Def. worth your consideration.

Sig Sauer P229, The choice of Home land security, FBI, CIA, and secret service for some years now.

I have it in a .40, the magazine can hold .357...all you do is change the barrel. It is also not too expensive to buy barrels for 9mm and even .22...those require a new spring to I believe.

Here's a good article: http://www.shootingtimes.com/2011/01/03/handgun_reviews_sig070606/

I've put over 2000 rounds through mine and never had a problem with it.

Dam you Vegas! Now I have an itch for a new one. Maybe just pick up one of the ones you already have in your collection like the Khar CM9 since the wifey is asking for something.

Sig Sauer P229, The choice of Home land security, FBI, CIA, and secret service for some years now.

I have it in a .40, the magazine can hold .357...all you do is change the barrel. It is also not too expensive to buy barrels for 9mm and even .22...those require a new spring to I believe.

Here's a good article: http://www.shootingtimes.com/2011/01/03/handgun_reviews_sig070606/

I've put over 2000 rounds through mine and never had a problem with it.

Ditto. Word for word haha

HK do seem to make some sexy looking guns compared to the Blocks

You pay a premium for them and that's the only real significant downfall.

The Sig would be my second choice in a non 1911 purchase.

That tan color gun don't look california legal. LOL

When I first shot handguns my friend, who is into guns and has a few himself took me to the local indoor range.

We tried 1911, 92, Glock 17 and some sorta Sig.

All I can remember is that the SIG felt so dam good in the hand and to shoot immediately. Almost like it was custom made for me. The fit and balance and angles was right on.

Anyone else had some similiar experience with Sig or other guns?

How about another sub-compact with the Smith and Wesson M&P Shield?

- S&W best trigger for a sub-compact 9mm.
- DAO type trigger with a pull of 0.300" at 6.5 lbs
- Three-dot sights are super bright and large

SmithWessonMP9Shield_001.jpg

Last edited:
Back