• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Recommendation on tires for new SOS 17/18 wheels

Just got my SOS 17/18 wheels in and trying to decide on the tires too. Nero’s seem like a good all-weather option. Any updates on ‘spirited driving’ with them? Anyone else have experience with the ZIII or the A052 to share? I have been a little concerned about the reports of high road noise. Feedback appreciated as I have to get some soon!

I had z1 and switched to z3 when they wore out. The z3’s are definitely louder. They make a really loud noise when driving over tar strips in the road. Until I figured it out, I thought something was loose in my car.

I've only had the A052 for about a week and I don't notice any more road noise than the AD08R i had prior. The dry grip on one of my favorite on ramps was really amazing - I can't wait to try them in the rain this week.

i did not. I have an exhaust and headers - so that may be why i wasn't really that sensitive to the road noise.

Just got my SOS 17/18 wheels in and trying to decide on the tires too. Nero’s seem like a good all-weather option. Any updates on ‘spirited driving’ with them? Anyone else have experience with the ZIII or the A052 to share? I have been a little concerned about the reports of high road noise. Feedback appreciated as I have to get some soon!

Missed this thread. I am on my second set of Pirelli Zero Nero GT summer tires in NSX-friendly 17/18 size. I got 18,000 miles out of the fronts and a little under 13,000 miles on the rears. This included six track days at NSXPOs.

I gave up ultimate adhesion for treadwear, since I drive long distances to NSXPO. They are excellent in the rain, even in downpours, in that they have great hydroplaning resistance. In the dry, they are very good for spirited road driving. They are competent on the track, but obviously Direzza Star Spec D3s or the other low-treadwear rated extreme summer tires are better.

It’s all about what you want to do with your car. If you don’t travel with your car, get the highest performance rubber you can. I would. However, the Zero Nero GTs are a great compromise that are great for everyday driving, which is most of what I do.

I hope this helps!

Last edited:
All,

I just installed Yokohama, ordered from tirerack:
Front: Advan Fleva V701 215-40-R17
Rear: Advan Apex V601 255-35-R18
Very happy with them.
Precise, good grip and my car feels like a different car in a good way.
I had the original rims and the new SOS are lighter.
I only have them for a hundred miles.
The price is good also.

Missed this thread. I am on my second set of Pirelli Zero Nero GT summer tires in NSX-friendly 17/18 size. I got 18,000 miles out of the fronts and a little under 13,000 miles on the rears. This included six track days at NSXPOs.

I gave up ultimate adhesion for treadwear, since I drive long distances to NSXPO. They are excellent in the rain, even in downpours, in that they have great hydroplaning resistance. In the dry, they are very good for spirited road driving. They are competent on the track, but obviously Direzza Star Spec D3s or the other low-treadwear rated extreme summer tires are better.

It’s all about what you want to do with your car. If you don’t travel with your car, get the highest performance rubber you can. I would. However, the Zero Nero GTs are a great compromise that are great for everyday driving, which is most of what I do.

I hope this helps!

You're in a cold climate like me - What's the coldest temps you've driven your Pirelli's in?

I've got the same tires as you and while Pirelli only recommends use down to 45F for warranty on compound cracking, I've used them down to 40F with no adverse effects so far on traction and cracking (i.e. 40F doesn't seem to be the glass transition temperature). I'm sure Pirelli put some margin in there - just curious what your experiences are.

Thanks.

All,

I just installed Yokohama, ordered from tirerack:
Front: Advan Fleva V701 215-40-R17
Rear: Advan Apex V601 255-35-R18
Very happy with them.
Precise, good grip and my car feels like a different car in a good way.
I had the original rims and the new SOS are lighter.
I only have them for a hundred miles.
The price is good also.

How did you decide to choose the two different tires? Did you consider the Flevas for both ends?

You're in a cold climate like me - What's the coldest temps you've driven your Pirelli's in?

I've got the same tires as you and while Pirelli only recommends use down to 45F for warranty on compound cracking, I've used them down to 40F with no adverse effects so far on traction and cracking (i.e. 40F doesn't seem to be the glass transition temperature). I'm sure Pirelli put some margin in there - just curious what your experiences are.

Thanks.

I was a very, very bad boy. I drove on the current set at 25F. I did a 220-mile road trip to Source 1 Automotive, near Cincinnati, three weeks ago. (Turbos! Squeee! :) But different thread.) My garage is warm, and I made sure the tires were properly inflated for the temp. I live next to the freeway and so was able to keep tire temps up the entire way. Outside temp warmed into the upper 30’s by the end of the trip. I inspected the tires upon arrival at Source 1, and no cracking that I could see.

I did this on my previous set of Zero Neros, only once, same trip to Source 1, two Novembers ago, also with 20’s at the start of the trip. The tires survived long enough to do the cross country trip to San Francisco last year for NSXPO, AND two track days there.

Pirelli has clearly built in some margin for these tires, but I don’t advise doing driving in severe cold regularly.

Did you try the A052s out in the rain yet?

I went out at lunch to try these out and to do my monthly ABS pump exercise.

Being brand new they performed just fine. I took them up to 65mph on some back roads, ran through some standing water, overpowered them a few times. They felt as good as the AD08's I have been running. Time will tell if that continues but after driving them, I am going to sell my other set of wheels which have my AD08's on them. a 2nd gear pull to 70 - didn't break them loose.

I turned on the gopro so you could see the road conditions:

The aftermath...

IMG_4491.jpg

IMG_4494.jpg

I have Ziii. Liked them so much I bought a set for my Miata. Love the feel and how it absorbs small bumps. Not liking them in the rain, though. But I try to avoid driving in the rain so not too much of a concern for me. As mentioned above, they do make a weird noise driving over tar strip, painted lines, and base coat asphalt, but I consider the noise to be somewhat cool. :biggrin:

Last edited:
I was a very, very bad boy. I drove on the current set at 25F. I did a 220-mile road trip to Source 1 Automotive, near Cincinnati, three weeks ago. (Turbos! Squeee! :) But different thread.) My garage is warm, and I made sure the tires were properly inflated for the temp. I live next to the freeway and so was able to keep tire temps up the entire way. Outside temp warmed into the upper 30’s by the end of the trip. I inspected the tires upon arrival at Source 1, and no cracking that I could see.

I did this on my previous set of Zero Neros, only once, same trip to Source 1, two Novembers ago, also with 20’s at the start of the trip. The tires survived long enough to do the cross country trip to San Francisco last year for NSXPO, AND two track days there.

Pirelli has clearly built in some margin for these tires, but I don’t advise doing driving in severe cold regularly.

Thanks again. I've searched online in the past for lowest temps folks have operated these in and couldn't find anything. I think I'll stick with not driving on these if the ambient temps are less than 40F! Congratulations on the turbos!

I was looking for the information about these tires. Thank you for your update. One year has passed? Have you already switched to other tires or these ones are still good? Thanks in advance.

Back