• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Recommendations on "test only" smog check in SF Bay area (CA)?

Does anyone have any recommendations on a "test only" smog center on the peninsula in the San Francisco Bay area? My deadline is coming up fast and I am apprehensive about handing over the keys to any random place. Thanks.

(Searching only turned up recommendations for so-cal...)

-- Joe

JoeSchmoe,

I didn't shop around, so only know this place, but they were very accommodating. I had to smog my 91 NSX a few months ago. The first time I tested it here it failed. They had no idea why since I have so few miles on my car and always service it. they actually felt really bad for me. He said he'd do it again for free! Well, I did a little homework on NSX Prime and found that I needed to really heat up the cats and have it tested immediately thereafter, before they cooled down. So that's what I did, ran it around at high revs for almost half an hour, pulled in and had them test it right away -- it passed with NO problem. Of course, I saw them first and made sure they would take me as soon as I pulled in. They were VERY nice and even let me drive my car into the text area. Good luck.

Mark

Redwood City Text Only Smog Center
323 Woodside Road (close to El Camino/Woodside Road)
Redwood City
650-365-7664

I did my "test-only" smog at Chevron gas station off Hwy 101 in Millbrae last year. They used to have a discount but not anymore so you may want to find out the price before work. Sorry I don't have the phone number for you.

I brought 2 NSXs (my own and my friend's) there for smog so they should not have any problems. I also like their spacious smog station and level smog machine (not elavated type that will scratch your car bottom).

You may want to drive your car minimum of 30 minutes or more to heat up your cats.

Good luck,
Ken

Thanks for the suggestions guys! The place in Millbrae looks like its slightly closer so I will try that one first. Do you remember which exit it was on? Was it the gas station next to the In-N-Out burger or was it a different one? Otherwise, I will try Mark's suggestion since its only marginally closer.

-- Joe

I ended up using the place in Millbrae that sugoi suggested. They were able to slot me in right away and the car passed without problems.

-- Joe

Back