• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Remarks by Takeo Fukui, President and CEO, Honda Motor Co., Ltd. -- North American In

Remarks by Takeo Fukui, President and CEO, Honda Motor Co., Ltd. -- North American International Auto Show
ascii | MSWord 31k

Detroit 01/05/2004 -- Good morning ladies and gentlemen. And thank you for joining Honda again.
This was the first opportunity for most of you to see ASIMO. But probably all of you are wondering why we brought this advanced humanoid robot to one of the world's great auto shows. I am sure most of you look at Honda as an automobile company. But we see ourselves differently.

From the foundation of Honda more than 50 years ago, we have viewed ourselves as a mobility company. We began by producing motorcycles, because that was the quickest way to provide mobility. But over the years, we continued to focus on creating new dreams for our customers - and harnessing advanced technology to provide new and better mobility for people.

Certainly, it is too early to expect an ASIMO in your living room. But the same passion for new technology that created ASIMO is leading us in other directions in mobility.

Last month, we conducted a successful first test flight of a new Honda business jet in North Carolina. The airframe, wing design and compact turbofan engine are the result of original research and design by Honda engineers. We have created a business jet with high performance, high fuel efficiency, low emissions - and a spacious cabin. Sounds like a Honda, right?

Programs like this business jet and the development of ASIMO have important value for Honda. We have always targeted the world's most advanced technologies - and then developed new products based on the skills of our own engineers.

The words of our founder -- "Do - not - imitate - others" -- are burned in the minds of everyone at Honda. We have no interest in following. The value of creation is not only in technology. The value is in the Honda engineers who create that technology. And who will create new products for our customers in the future.

This philosophy impacts everything we do as a company -- especially the real world products we create for customers. Products that offer the highest level of safety and advanced environmental technology - and yet are still fun to drive.

Today, I would like to briefly outline Honda's near term strategy for advancing environmental technologies in North America. Even from our leadership position, we believe we - can - do - more to provide real world benefits for our customers and society. First - we believe it is possible for conventional engines to be cleaner and more fuel efficient.

Toward that goal, this fall, we will introduce a vehicle in the U.S. with Variable Cylinder Management. A V6 engine with VCM runs on all six cylinders during acceleration. Yet uses only three cylinders when cruising. Thus, VCM enhances fuel efficiency while maintaining fun-to-drive - and other performance features.

However, with conventional engines there is still wasted energy during deceleration and idling. So, we invested in original hybrid technology to increase fuel efficiency and performance.

Insight has ranked number one in fuel economy for five straight years. But the strength of Honda's IMA hybrid technology is that it is transparent to the customer - lower in cost and easier to add to existing models. This led to the Civic Hybrid.

Today, we are announcing the next step. The further expansion and evolution of Honda's hybrid lineup. This fall, Honda will introduce an Accord Hybrid with a newly-developed V6 IMA hybrid system. This new IMA system - combined with VCM - achieves fuel economy on par with the compact Honda Civic. But with power and performance exceeding the excellent acceleration of the current Accord V6 engine. This brings to three the number of Honda Hybrid models, including our two most popular model lines -- Civic and Accord.

As one possible direction for the future - today, you can see the IMAS. Ultra-light and exceptionally aerodynamic, the IMAS concept combines environment-friendly performance with sports-car excitement. After all, this is Honda, so it must be fun to drive!

By investing in hybrid technologies we also learned about electric motor control technologies that we have applied to fuel cell vehicle development. Importantly -- the Honda FCX is still the only fuel cell vehicle certified by the U.S. EPA and CARB - and in use on public roads today.

But we have already advanced to the next step beyond this leadership position. Last fall, we announced the development of Honda's original fuel cell stack. This stack has cold start capabilities in below freezing temperatures. And it is more compact. We are now conducting real world tests on public roads. But, today, we are announcing our plan to introduce an FCX with this original stack in the U.S. and Japan -- in the year 2005.

Just as Honda pioneered and advanced low emission technology and hybrid technology, the goal of these fuel cell vehicle introductions is to gain real world experience. In this way, we advance our knowledge of the strengths and limitations of fuel cell technology for more widespread application in the future.

Today, we have the Kiwami concept where you can see the benefit of Honda's more compact stack technology. Advanced packaging makes possible a lower floor - this enables us to create a roomy interior despite the low roofline.

But Honda is not just developing fuel cell vehicles. We are also taking leadership in the effort to develop a hydrogen fueling infrastructure. This includes a hydrogen station powered by advanced solar cells developed by Honda engineers. And a Home Energy Station that makes hydrogen from natural gas. These concepts represent an important means to reduce CO2 emissions.

This spring, we will begin research with this station and Honda's original stack FCX at our R&D facility in California. And we will conduct real world confirmation in cold climates in states on the East Coast. Through these original efforts, our goal is to contribute to the introduction of a hydrogen refueling infrastructure.

But Honda's commitment to advanced technology is not restricted to the environment. Two months ago, we announced a major expansion of safety technology in all Honda and Acura vehicles by 2006. We made this commitment ahead of the industry-wide program based upon our philosophy of "Safety for Everyone." We believe it is possible to advance both safety and environmental technologies. And, at the same time, make vehicles that are fun-to-drive. We even engineered our fuel cell vehicle to meet or exceed all government safety standards. And everyone who drives it, is surprised by its power.

This type of commitment is also the reason we make vehicles like the Acura NSX and Honda S2000. The production volume is small. But the value is high - both for our customers and for the Honda engineers who develop these vehicles. And that is the thinking behind the HSC concept car that you can see at the Acura stand. This model will serve as the basis for the next generation NSX you will see within a few years. We are committed to achieve the industry best performance - no - rival - exists - for this vehicle.

We believe Honda has a unique role within the industry. This means leading the way in advancing the important areas of safety and the environment. While, at the same time, offering our customers products that are fun to drive. And we will continue to use our strength in developing original technology to provide new and improved mobility for our customers.

This also means traveling new, more challenging roads ahead of others. In this way, Honda will achieve its vision of becoming a company that society wants to exist. Thank you.

Re: Remarks by Takeo Fukui, President and CEO, Honda Motor Co., Ltd. -- North American In

brucewinter said:
Remarks by Takeo Fukui, President and CEO, Honda Motor Co., Ltd. -- North American International Auto Show
ascii | MSWord 31k

...This type of commitment is also the reason we make vehicles like the Acura NSX and Honda S2000. The production volume is small. But the value is high - both for our customers and for the Honda engineers who develop these vehicles. And that is the thinking behind the HSC concept car that you can see at the Acura stand. This model will serve as the basis for the next generation NSX you will see within a few years. We are committed to achieve the industry best performance - no - rival - exists - for this vehicle....
I wonder what context he's talking about when he says "no rival exists."

Re: Re: Remarks by Takeo Fukui, President and CEO, Honda Motor Co., Ltd. -- North American In

MarkB said:
I wonder what context he's talking about when he says "no rival exists."

Hmmm......let hope he is talking about slapping in a Honda F1-style V10 in there with VCM and IMA.

hmm... i wonder what that means also. It could be bad. Let's hope it means that for the price it will blow everything else out of the water.

Re: Re: Re: Remarks by Takeo Fukui, President and CEO, Honda Motor Co., Ltd. -- North American In

Remarks by Takeo Fukui
We are committed to achieve the industry best performance - no - rival - exists - for this vehicle....

Thats a pretty bold statement there...

With all this talk about mobility, perhaps Mr. Fukui is hinting that the next NSX will have legs like Asimo? Or maybe it will be a flying sportscar now that honda builds business jets?

Wickeddeus said:
Hmmm......let hope he is talking about slapping in a Honda F1-style V10 in there with VCM and IMA.

No IMA please. For the weight of either the IMA motor or battery, you could add in another liter and a couple cylinders. Throw in their VCM cylinder shutoff to fake out the EPA mileage tests and we should be good to go :D

I love to see such confidence!

Whether marketing or truth, I can't wait to see the production deliverable that stands up to "industry best performance".

next NSX is due in about two years ?

Carmakers bask in exotics' glow
Concept cars help to build an image
Advertisement

By Jim Mateja and Rick Popely
Tribune staff reporters

January 6, 2004

DETROIT -- What to do for an encore?

A year ago, Chrysler Group unveiled a 500-horsepower concept motorcycle called Tomahawk at the Detroit Auto Show. This year, Chrysler followed up with an 850-horsepower "supercar."

The car, if produced, would rival such exotics as Lamborghini, Ferrari and Porsche, said Wolfgang Bernhard, Chrysler Group's chief operating officer.

In a marketplace where 45 brands slug it out, car companies roll out exotic cars to compete for attention--and get on the consideration list of some buyers.

"The problem is that there are too many brands treading on each other's territory, and they're trying to establish a brand DNA on which to build a distinctive image," said Joe Ivers, a partner in J.D. Power and Associates. "These high-profile cars are a cry for attention."

Chrysler's ME Four-Twelve is a mid-engine two-seater powered by a 6-liter,V-12 engine with four superchargers. It can accelerate from zero to 60 m.p.h. in 2.9 seconds, and its top speed is 248 m.p.h.

"Concepts are usually design exercises, but the ME Four-Twelve is an engineering exercise," Bernhard said. The car was built around the engine.

Chrysler insiders also noted that the ME Four-Twelve is a fully working model. Tests will begin soon to determine production feasibility.

A vehicle's performance has the greatest influence on buying decisions, according to Power's consumer surveys, making it a strong building block for a brand image, Ivers said.

An exotic such as the Chrysler ME Four-Twelve can change consumer perception of a brand, Ivers said, though there is no research data to support that.

"There is a large group of consumers who will not consider a domestic car for quality reasons," he said. "A wild design might help change that."

Manufacturers insist such models serve as "halo" cars that cast a favorable glow on the rest of the lineup and draw more consumers to showrooms. There is no shortage at this year's Detroit show.

Mercedes-Benz will begin selling the $350,000 SLR McLaren, which boasts 600 horsepower and styling inspired by Formula One racecars. Chevrolet has a new Corvette; Cadillac a similar model, the XLR; and Acura the NSX, flagship of American Honda's luxury division.

Even as Honda Chief Executive Takeo Fukui announced plans for a fuel-efficient hybrid Accord and a concept car powered by hydrogen fuel cells, he also promised that the next-generation NSX would deliver greater performance.

"No rival exists for this vehicle," Fukui said of the next NSX, which is due in about two years. The current model was introduced in the early 1990s as the first Japanese exotic car with performance and technology to rival Ferrari at a lower price.

The ME Four-Twelve also brought out comparisons with the 500-horsepower GT, Ford's exotic coming out this year. But in the halo car game, Ford is not resting on its GT laurels: It has unveiled a 605-horsepower concept supercar dubbed the Shelby Cobra.

The Shelby Cobra pays tribute to the car developed by noted racer and car builder Carroll Shelby, who teamed with Ford in the '60s to produce the limited-edition, high-performance Shelby Cobra Mustang. And Shelby, 80, helped develop the two-seat concept that borrows many parts and components from the GT unveiled here.

The GT starts at $139,995. If the Shelby Cobra concept becomes reality, it would be priced at less than $100,000, said Chris Theodore, vice president of advanced product development for Ford.

"That's why we're going to have the Shelby Cobra concept on the auto-show circuit this year, so that the public can tell us if they want it, how many they think we should build, and what price we should set for it," Theodore said in an interview. The Shelby Cobra concept is powered by a 6.4-liter, 605-horsepower V-10.

Pestered about potential production, Theodore pointed out the car is fully workable.

"This isn't a bubble-gum-and-paper-clip concept," said J Mays, group vice president of design for Ford. "It will do zero to 60 m.p.h. in less than 4 seconds and has a top speed that approaches 195 m.p.h."

Copyright © 2004, Chicago Tribune

The ME - Four Twelve has four superchargers? I thought I had read something before that said it had 4 turbochargers.....Not that it matters to me. I'll never own the car...

Next NSX

I'm starting to believe that the next NSX=Hybrid. That is why there will be no rival.

Re: Next NSX

HPV100 said:
I'm starting to believe that the next NSX=Hybrid. That is why there will be no rival.
I think it will computer piloted, or rather robot (Asimo) piloted. Which is why there will be no rival. ;)

I agree with HPV100. A year or two ago, when we first heard the rumors of a hybrid nsx, I, like most people scoffed at the notion. However, if you analyze Fukui-san's speech, you begin to get the impression that he is letting the world know in typical Honda fashion that they are going to do it different and better yet again.

“But over the years, we continued to focus on creating new dreams for our customers - and harnessing advanced technology to provide new and better mobility for people.”

He sets the stage. Honda is in the business of advancing technology for the benefits of society.

“... like this business jet and the development of ASIMO... We have always targeted the world's most advanced technologies - and then developed new products based on the skills of our own engineers.”

He says that they are thinking outside the box and trying to be the leader in innovation.

"Do - not - imitate - others"

Self-explanatory.

“…Honda's near term strategy for advancing environmental technologies in North America. … we believe it is possible for conventional engines to be cleaner and more fuel efficient.”

This is Honda’s goal. Make the mundane better, more efficient.

“… we will introduce a vehicle in the U.S. with Variable Cylinder Management…. with conventional engines there is still wasted energy during deceleration and idling. So, we invested in original hybrid technology to increase fuel efficiency and performance. But the strength of Honda's IMA hybrid technology is that it is transparent to the customer.”

This is what we are doing…this is the future.

“By investing in hybrid technologies we also learned about electric motor control technologies that we have applied to fuel cell vehicle development. We are also taking leadership in the effort to develop a hydrogen fueling infrastructure.”

Look at what we’ve done with hybrid technology. We will lead the way.

“that is the thinking behind the HSC concept car….We are committed to achieve the industry best performance - no - rival - exists - for this vehicle.

That’s right…the HSC will be the first hybrid super car… No other rival will exist to challenge it.

Now here’s the kicker…

“This means leading the way in advancing the important areas of safety and the environment. And we will continue to use our strength in developing original technology to provide new and improved mobility for our customers. This also means traveling new, more challenging roads ahead of others.”

We are leading the way with this new technology. Even though it’s going to be new and tough…we will lead the way.

So to all you hoping for a a high hp fire-breathing conventional monster…does it really make sense that after Fukui-san makes a huge speech about developing new technology and being an innovator and pioneer of hybrid technology that they are going to turn around and make their “halo” car, the car that’s going to be the representative of the company’s pride and goals, with a conventional engine? I feel that mentioning the HSC after speaking volumes about the company’s future goals in regards to hybrid technologies speak volumes as to what we should expect to see in the near future in regards to Honda’s next halo car.

I think it is very possible the next NSX will be a hybrid. I hope not, but it is likely. However, in 2 years the technology may be much better than what we have now..

I'm just curious when it will come out. At the japan show, someone at honda said in a year. Now it's a few years? :confused:

SpeedAddict said:

So to all you hoping for a a high hp fire-breathing conventional monster…does it really make sense that after Fukui-san makes a huge speech about developing new technology and being an innovator and pioneer of hybrid technology that they are going to turn around and make their “halo” car, the car that’s going to be the representative of the company’s pride and goals, with a conventional engine? I feel that mentioning the HSC after speaking volumes about the company’s future goals in regards to hybrid technologies speak volumes as to what we should expect to see in the near future in regards to Honda’s next halo car.

Great points, I sure hope your wrong however. With what I've read in the past more the a few of us would turn our nose up at a hybrid. Of course they may find more folks to replace us !

Signed;

A Ferrari in the future .....

Well, as it stands, everyone thinks

hybrid = big, heavy inefficient batteries...poor performance....

However, if Honda perfects the technology and really backs it up with nummber on the track, people may begin to look at hybrid tech in a new light. Who knows, if Honda can cross that line from failed science experiment to cutting edge tech...then it won't be too long when you'll hear the tag "revolutionary" attached to the NSX again. And remember, Fukui-san said it in his speech....

"But the strength of Honda's IMA hybrid technology is that it is transparent to the customer."

If it performs, who cares what powers it? Imagine Ferrari challenging #, Honda reliability, and a 50 mpg rating**....I don't think many would be running away from that. A time will come when combustion engines will be seen as old tech.

** hypothetical of course

SpeedAddict may be right

I think SpeedAddict is on the right path. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see the next NSX show up with as a hybrid.

Don't forget that Acura debuted a hybrid 400hp concept sports car at the 2002 Tokyo show, the DN-X. 300hp V6 with additional 100HP of electrical power at the front wheels.

And honda was showing the Dualnote, their sport sedan concept, as early as 2001.

At the 2003 Tokyo show, Honda/Acura diplayed 4 concepts. The HSC, and three hybrids. This seems to be a message about their direction for the future.

Would it be so far fetched that they drop the DN-X/Dualnote powerplant into the HSC/NSX? This type of powerplant is a radical improvement over the IMA. And what better showplace the the NSX for their first production version of this powerplant.

The fact that the NSX has its own production facilities may also be attractive to management. The quality control would be very high in a limited run environment.

Just a bunch of rambling and speculation on my part. Take it for what its worth.

To those asking when it will be released, I asked the same question to those at the Acura stand during press days at the NAIAS. The conversation went similar to the following:

me: Do you have any idea when the HSC will be in US showrooms, or can you even tell me?

Acura Woman (AW): I have been told 2005.

me: So it will be a 2006 model?

AW: Actually, it looks like it will be a 2005 model.

me: So I can purchase one this fall?

AW: Probably not that soon, but not very far after.

Acura Woman? Is she a super hero? I don't remember her.....

hybrid gas-electric motor?

Automotives: Ford Shelby Cobra surprised the auto show
John Gilbert
Budgeteer News
Last Updated: Friday, January 09th, 2004 03:30:35 PM

DETROIT, Mich. — The traditional United States “Big Three” automotive manufacturers are trusting their oldest icons to refocus their aim on the car market; the question is, have they waited too long or can they make up for lost time just by making such a decision? Meanwhile, the Japanese auto manufacturers who have the car segment so well in hand are intensifying their move into the domestic truck realm.

Biggest news from the show was varied. Toyota captured the North American Car of the Year award with its innovative Prius, its hybrid gasoline-electric sedan now midsized for 2004. Ford won the Truck of the Year honor, also presented at the Detroit show, with the F150 pickup. From that result, all seemed to start in order as the show, which runs for another full week for spectators, kicked off last weekend for the automotive media with a Japanese company topping the car list and a U.S. company winning truck honors.

Then the fun began.

During the next couple of days, Honda introduced a new SUT (sport-utility truck) and admitted that after years of saying Honda would never build a truck, here it was. It is a full four-door crew-cab type vehicle, with a pickup box at the rear. Very impressive. Honda also showed off a sleek sports car that will be the next Acura NSX, and can be powered by hybrid gas-electric motors.

John Gilbert can be contacted at [email protected].

From Top Gear about another speech given by Fukui... complete copy at : http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=27784
"NSX should beat Ferrari. Currently we have a V6 and that would not be sufficient. But we do have V8 and V10 engines with Honda names..." Thus spoke Fukui-san, referring of course to the V8 and V10 engines that power the company's Indy Racing Leage and F1 cars respectively. He also threw us this curve ball: "There is a market for an enviromental [-ly friendly] supercar concept. NSX could be that concept provided it still gave great driving pleasure."
It would appear that Ferrari is considered at least a potential (or current) rival. It also sounds like a non-IMA V6 is out, though he might just be referring to the current V6...

Back