• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Repainting the Top

There are a few "should I leave black or not" threads out there already but I already intend to have the top repainted it's original black color since there are a few blemishes I'd like to eliminate. My question is this: will I need to replace any moulding or trim pieces in the process? Thanks in advance.

1991 NSX

-Ky

the only bit that gets in the way for a respray is the windscreen top trim. This is in 2 bits, the trim itself, which can be eased out, and the retaining strip that is glued to the front edge of the roof...

it can be teased out the way for masking, but chances are the outer trim will be hard and shrunken, so i'd be inclined to replace both bits anyway...

....which is exactly what i did when i resprayed my roof!

and make sure you seal the side trims when you replace them, (between the mounting flange and the body, or you might get water finding it's way under and inside the door seal... guess how i found that one out!!!)

the most awkward job is getting the B pillar trims off!

Great, thanks for the response. I'll have to break open the service manual to snag some part numbers.

Back