• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

replacement tires

Help! I am tire nowhere land. I need a pair of rear tires for my 95. After talking to dealers and reading test reports I am as confused as ever.

I do not drive the car very hard, and good ride and quiet are important. Also wet traction and decent wear.

But when I get down to choice confusion abounds.

The Dunlop 9000's got very good ratings from Automobile Mag, but they do not make the 9000 for the front. cost about $250 each.

The Bridgestone's RE71's got good ratings, but also do not make the same tire for the front. These tires cost about $108 each.

Then there is the Pirelli P7000 which the dealer recommends and there are front tires to match but the ratings as to ride and noise are poor. These cost about $245 each.

Next is the Yokohama AVS I which is avialable only for the rears and is supposed to be a good tire. Cost $150 each.

Any ideas out there?

Attachments

• nsx1.jpg
    nsx1.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 151
  • nsx2.jpg
    nsx2.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 154
  • nsx3.jpg
    nsx3.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 9
I have Bridgestone S-02s Pole Position on my wife's Mercedes and I love them - great ride, good wet traction and very quiet. They have 15K miles on them and they look like they are going to go another 15K. My '99 T only has 2,800 miles on it so my Yokos still have some tread left. I'm planning to replace them with original Yokos when the rears go and later with S-02s once I need all four of them. I haven't checked on sizes yet so I don't know if they make them for the NSX.

[This message has been edited by dollenz (edited 15 April 2000).]

What is the problem with replacing them with OEMs? Remember that the OEM tires were designed specifically for the capabilities of the car. A tire dealer set me up with a set of RE71's and I almost killed myself when I reached their cornering limits, which are nowhere near the limits of the NSX. I brought them back after about 20 miles. I'm very happy with the OEM Yok's. Even at the track at triple digit speeds!

[This message has been edited by ChopsJazz (edited 15 April 2000).]

ChopsJazz, you are right. The original Yokos are certainly the best choice. However, some of us are looking for a little better tread wear, beyond 10K, perhaps? There must be a tire out there (and I don't know which) that gives you great performance (close to stock) with better wear. I'd like to believe it will be the S-O2.

By the way, I like Jazz, old Jazz, I have most of Louis Amstrong stuff - great NSX music. I'm not sure I'll be going to San Mateo to the square but I just might

Mark,
I hate to sound like a broken record on this list, but it is hard to second guess the time and effort taken by the Engineers at Honda (Acura) in crafting the NSX. I think the OEM tires are the best bet. Even if they wear out after only 3,000 or 6,000 miles. If you drive easy as you say you do, then you might get 6,000 - 10,000 out of a set. You can always adjust your alignment to a less radical setting, more toward zero and show improved wear, albeit at the expense of razor crisp handling. You can't have it all.

I was prepared to offer a recommendation for the Pirelli PZero System Asimmetrico tires. They come in 245 40/17 but are not made in the 215 45/16 for the fronts. I suppose you could use the P7000, but I hate them. I used PZeros on a number of my cars and I love them. I am heart broken that they don't make a set to fit the front of the NSX.

For good tips on tires and the best prices around. Don't forget http://www.tirerack.com

------------------
Gordon G. Miller, III
Y2K NSX #51 Yellow/Black
[email protected] http://www.g3.com

Taking my own advice, I surfed over to http://www.tirerack.com and did a search on 215 45/16 looking for MAXIMUM peformance only. It was no surprise to me that the Michelin Pilot Sport tires came up as a choice. I have them on my 2280 lb. '99 Miata S package. And they are great.

Then, I just happened to look down the left column in the product detail to where it said "Tire Test". Well, low and behold, what do I find by a test where the Michelin Pilot Sport, Bridgestone Potenza S-02 Pole Position, and the Pirelli PZERO Asimmetrico are put to the test in both wet and dry. So as not to leave anyone out they do mention the Yokohama AVS Sport, but don't profile it there.
There was no clear winner, each has specific characteristics that are desireable at different times. It does look as if the Bridgestone Potenza S-02 Pole Position fared better than most in the really critical one, but I have not ever used them. Having used both Pilots and PZero, they are both fine tires.

------------------
Gordon G. Miller, III
Y2K NSX #51 Yellow/Black
[email protected] http://www.g3.com

I'm considering what set of tires to purchase next as well. My 1999 NSX-T currently has about 2,400 miles on it. I want a tire that's a bit more practical than the stock OEM Yokohama's (with better wet traction and tire wear).

There's the Dunlop SP8050, which I believe is made specifically for the NSX. I am also considering the SP9000, but they don't have a 215/45ZR16 size for the front. They do have a 225/45ZR16 front--perhaps it would be OK to use those with 255/40ZR17 for the rears?

Is anyone using the SP9000 (or SP8050)? If so, what sizes are you using? Thanks.

- Stephen

[This message has been edited by sas (edited 16 April 2000).]

I recently replaced my Yoko's with SP9000's.I immediately noticed a tremendous improvement in ride comfort and quiteness. Wet traction is much improved also. I've not had them on a road course yet, but I did manage a 13.56 ET at the strip with my stock 97T on the second run I had ever made at a drag strip. I couldn't launch at the 3500-4000 RPM's recommended for best times but the tires handled anything below 3000 RPM's well. This last weekend, I made a pretty fast run though the mountains in dry and wet conditions and was very pleased. Not being a trained driver, I appreciate the tire squeal warning when I approach the limits. For the fronts, on the OEM 7 spoke wheels, the 225 X 40 X 16 are the closest choice to OEM. My local dealer sold the fronts for $160 and rears for $210 installed.

Ben Goldfarb has two sets of rears for sale OEM for the 17 inch wheels. He got them with tire certs.

They are brand new and you can email him at [email protected] if you're interested. I have no financial interest in the sale... yadda yadda yadda...

Tommy Smith with the Dunlop SP9000s:
1)Did you change the alignmnet specs when you put on the SP9000s?
2) Any traction control problems with the different front OD?

I really like the Pilots on my car. Great traction, good wear and nice ride quality for the performance level. Also, if you get the alignment set with much less negative rear camber you will get more wear. I have the non-compliance rear suspension and have only 1/2 a degree of negative rear camber and got 16k miles out of my last set of rear tires. The car also tracks better at high speed with less camber.

To NSXY,
I haven't changed the alignment specs. The OD for the 225 X 40 is almost identical to the 215 X 45 spec. I haven't had any traction control problems at all. Somewhere on the net, I saw a write-up that indicated about 18,000 miles wear on the SP 9000's on the rear with factory specs. Sorry I can't be specific, but I did a lot of reading on the net and magazines before choosing the SP 9000's. I was sold on the longer wear, price, increased ride comfort, squeal warning when approaching the limits, and the small amount of time I'll be spending on the track. I felt that if you are serious about the track, you should use a tire specifically designed for the track (as long as it fit your budget, but I guess if the tires don't fit the budget, should you be serious about the track).

I contacted Ben Goldfarb on the OEM Yokos for the rear (17s). He wanted about $260 each, saying that they are originally $290 each!!!! So, I just called Discount Tire in Solana Beach, CA (858 481-6387)and the salesman (Greg "The Man") said that Discount Tire now has a nationwide sale on Yokos, including the 245/40ZR17 rears for the NSX: price is $201 per rear tire, plus $10.95 for mount and balance.

He also said that Discount Tire has a "lay away" plan, in which you can pay a deposit on the sales price for any tire at anytime, even if you do not need tires now, and pick them up later when you need them. If the price drops below the sales price, you get the lower new price!!

When I told Greg "The Man" that I would spread the word at the NSX Prime web site, he said that he would sell me EOM tires for $195 each!!!!

Sounds like I'm doing business at Discount after work today (no I do not work at Discount tire).

Opps! Correction: my quote of $260(above)on Ben Goldfarb's rear Yoko tires was a typo. He wants $200 each rear tire, plus cost of shipping from LA ($25-50). You get them mounted and balanced somewhere.

considering the price at discount tire and that if there is a problem that there will be no selling dealer, Ben's deal is no deal at all. if he gets $300 for the pair he will be doing well.

Originally posted by NSXY:
Opps! Correction: my quote of $260(above)on Ben Goldfarb's rear Yoko tires was a typo. He wants $200 each rear tire, plus cost of shipping from LA ($25-50). You get them mounted and balanced somewhere.

Yesterday I went to Discount Tire and put $25 down as a deposit on two rear Yokos at $195 each. When my current tires need replacing, I'm supposed to call Discount Tire two days in advance, they place the internal order and I come in for the change in two days. It is my understanding that you can reserve as many tires as you want into the future, for the current sale price, using a very small deposit!!! Amazing!

Also keep in mind that any tires purchased with a certificate have been sitting around since at least September '99 which is when all the certificates expired.

Attachments

• IMG_0389 (1024x768).jpg
    IMG_0389 (1024x768).jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0432.jpg
    IMG_0432.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_0433 (1024x768).jpg
    IMG_0433 (1024x768).jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_0436 (1024x768).jpg
    IMG_0436 (1024x768).jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 6
  • NSX front-side after rally.jpg
    NSX front-side after rally.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 1
Mark -- If you are Mark Bloom from Seattle, howdy. This is Charley Johnston from the Nuclear Waste Think Tank. I bought a 1991 NSX a couple years ago and recently lost it on some very wet pavement, hit a ditch, rolled and totaled it. I've been doing pretty diligent research ever sense to find if there is a tire that really makes the car safe for extensive Northwest driving. I've been in contact with a good handfull of people whose experience, like mine, would suggest that with the OEM Yokos it is not. The evidence points toward the SP9000 as the best bet if wet whether handling is a significant consideration. (I do a lot of long distance wet weather driving).
All the best --- Charley

SP 9000 is only good for wet pavement driving
for the dry condition, it's so so

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 14
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 14
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 14
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 16
Originally posted by NSEX:
SP 9000 is only good for wet pavement driving
for the dry condition, it's so so

Am I correct that the Dunlap SP9000s last many more miles than Yokos, and that in mostly dry conditions, the SP9000s don't have very good traction compared with Yokos?

I personally didn't have any experience with both yoko and SP 9000. I bought my nsx with Racing Hart type R rims on it so don't know anyting about the factory tires. For the SP 9000, my friend's M3 uses it and he's really satisfied with it.
It lasts much longer than SO-2 which I'm using now and it's amazing in the rain. Low tire noise as well but SP 9000 isn't cheap so you might consider P Zero which's around the same price as SP 9000.

In my post above (third from the top) I mention triple digit speeds on the Yok's. I guess I forgot to say that those speeds were IN THE RAIN. My Yok's handled brilliantly in the rain on the track with HARD braking, acceleration, and equally hard cornering. I don't know what other cars' set ups were that day, but I was passing M3s, Mustang Cobras, even a Ferrari 348. I feel very secure at speed in my car with the OEM Yok's. Heck, excessive tire wear is just a cost-of-ownership issue.

[This message has been edited by ChopsJazz (edited 22 April 2000).]

Attachments

• 2014-04-19 001 2014-04-19 013.jpg
    2014-04-19 001 2014-04-19 013.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 8
I was just came back from Thunderhill event organize by Jim Grinstead (BMW club). Jim own black 91 with NOS. He just put on SP9000 on it and he said it's squirmy. He tried my car and definetly like the handling better. I have Nitto 555zr. As I believe Nitto as not as good as Yoko, but they last a lot longer, and that is the main reason why I got them.

Attachments

• toy.jpg
    toy.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 2
Originally posted by Mark Bloome:
Help! I am tire nowhere land. I need a pair of rear tires for my 95. After talking to dealers and reading test reports I am as confused as ever.

I do not drive the car very hard, and good ride and quiet are important. Also wet traction and decent wear.

But when I get down to choice confusion abounds.

The Dunlop 9000's got very good ratings from Automobile Mag, but they do not make the 9000 for the front. cost about $250 each.

The Bridgestone's RE71's got good ratings, but also do not make the same tire for the front. These tires cost about $108 each.

Then there is the Pirelli P7000 which the dealer recommends and there are front tires to match but the ratings as to ride and noise are poor. These cost about $245 each.

Next is the Yokohama AVS I which is avialable only for the rears and is supposed to be a good tire. Cost $150 each.

Any ideas out there?

[
I just bought the Dunlop 9000's and the ride is sgnificantly better--about 25% softer and also quieter. I have not taken the tires out for a super hard test, but then I do not drive that hard.

If the tires last longer and ride better then I will be happy.

------------------

Attachments

• DPP_0054.jpg
    DPP_0054.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 14
  • DPP_0075 (1).jpg
    DPP_0075 (1).jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 16
  • DPP_0110 water.jpg
    DPP_0110 water.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 15
Back