• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Restoring an NSX to Factory Spec Before Sale - Thoughts?

I ended up purchasing an NA2 Comptech Supercharged NSX to replace my current NA1, but haven't been able to get used to the color on it. I like the six speed, 3.2, and associated updates, but I love the Midnight Pearl I already have more. After talking to Science of Speed and Ramon, I figure I could potentially move the parts from the new one to my car and sell the NA2 in stock form. After doing some research, it looks like the ones in factory spec tend to sell just as well as with the CTSC kit. The NA2 has Comptech headers, intake, exhaust, SC, and a Zanardi suspension.

Does anyone on here know much about resale values of the cars put back to factory spec? It has under 50k miles and is all original, but I wouldn't be comfortable selling it without disclosing the prior modifications to the next owner. On the plus side, I could have the timing belt and water pump done for the next owner at the same time.

I am seeing that the pricing difference between a reverted NSX and a standard one is pretty negligible, assuming the switch back is done correctly. Apparently they're so reliable that the modifications make little to no impact on the reliability. For me the difficult part will be sourcing factory parts with similar or lower mileage than the car already has, as I wouldn't want to restore it to sub-par standing. If anyone has experience with this sort of thing, I'd appreciate it!

You have the best of both worlds scenario right now, a 'stock' NSX and a 'modified' one as well.

We're in the same boat, and enjoy each on their own merits.

These cars in factory original form were sublime performers, that even today reward you with a superb driving experience.

Adding more power and chassis upgrades also makes you appreciate how fantastic a car Honda actually engineered, in that it can absorb such large tweaks in each department with ease.

So, long story short..........keep them BOTH :semi-twins:

I ended up purchasing an NA2 Comptech Supercharged NSX to replace my current NA1, but haven't been able to get used to the color on it. I like the six speed, 3.2, and associated updates, but I love the Midnight Pearl I already have more. After talking to Science of Speed and Ramon, I figure I could potentially move the parts from the new one to my car and sell the NA2 in stock form. After doing some research, it looks like the ones in factory spec tend to sell just as well as with the CTSC kit. The NA2 has Comptech headers, intake, exhaust, SC, and a Zanardi suspension.

Does anyone on here know much about resale values of the cars put back to factory spec? It has under 50k miles and is all original, but I wouldn't be comfortable selling it without disclosing the prior modifications to the next owner. On the plus side, I could have the timing belt and water pump done for the next owner at the same time.

I am seeing that the pricing difference between a reverted NSX and a standard one is pretty negligible, assuming the switch back is done correctly. Apparently they're so reliable that the modifications make little to no impact on the reliability. For me the difficult part will be sourcing factory parts with similar or lower mileage than the car already has, as I wouldn't want to restore it to sub-par standing. If anyone has experience with this sort of thing, I'd appreciate it!

100% factory spec cars tend to sell faster, but you're right about the price difference being negligible. The real price booster is a clean, documented maintenance history going back to original delivery and a history of only light modifications. This tells the buyer he/she is getting a NSX that has had a good life and likely will be in good condition. This versus a basket case of a car that has been heavily modded and abused with little to no maintenance and then slapped back together with OEM parts at the last minute before sale. Sadly the market lately tends to have more of the latter, since most of these cars have been through a few owners by now. If your SC was a dealer-installed option, I'd leave it on and sell as is. If it was added later, I'd remove and sell it separately. You have a NA2, which will fetch a premium just because it is a NA2.

Thanks for the information! It's an all original accident-free 2-owner with full records. Texas then moved to CA in 2004. Some of the parts were dealer installed the first year, but the SC was installed by Basch, who was a knowledgable guy from what I understand. He ended up making his own supercharger kit down the road, but this one is a full Comptech setup. If it weren't bright yellow, I'd just keep it, but then again I bought mine from the original female owner and it's all original with records since day one as well, but with twice the mileage. It really boils down to the color for me. I'd much prefer an NA2. If it were blue or even white or silver, it'd be a no brainer. Spa yellow just draws too much attention for me, much like a red ferrari or green lamborghini.

Recommend that you return to stock. At best you are just giving away your CTSC and at worst you get less value for a non-stock car.

I returned my CTSC and full Honda badge conversion back to stock, it wasn't that big of a deal. You might consider selling off your CTSC to somebody who will trade out removed parts as part of the deal. The parts in question aren't wear parts, so they can be purchased at a reasonable price used.

You might also consider a wrap for your car too, probably costs less than the Use Tax on the purchase of a replacement NA2.

Selling a completely stock car (NSX or otherwise) is always much easier, even if it has been modified before. Many buyers don't mind if a car has been modified before, but I find that far fewer want to go through the hassle of un-modifying the new car they just purchased if they aren't into what's on there.

Selling it stock with compression test results won't be difficult. Here's an example of a similarly modded NA2 that was sold stock:

http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php/202082-2000-NSX-T-Blue-Tan-6-Speed-42000-JH4NA2169YT000038

But finding all the stock NA2 parts will be difficult and time consuming. Have you considered wrapping the Spa Yellow NSX in Inozetek Midnight Purple wrap instead? Here's a link to their Instagram with photos:

https://instagram.com/inozetek?igshid=1n9z9w7ckzit0

Recommend that you return to stock. At best you are just giving away your CTSC and at worst you get less value for a non-stock car.

I returned my CTSC and full Honda badge conversion back to stock, it wasn't that big of a deal. You might consider selling off your CTSC to somebody who will trade out removed parts as part of the deal. The parts in question aren't wear parts, so they can be purchased at a reasonable price used.

You might also consider a wrap for your car too, probably costs less than the Use Tax on the purchase of a replacement NA2.

Should have read your reply first! We're on the same page.

If wrap technology were better, I'd go for it. I considered it, but with yellow underneath the wrap (instead of something like black), any damage would be very visible. Between that, the fact they basically have to tear down and reassemble your car, and the fact that they only last 7 years or so, the wrap doesn't seem to be the best option. I've also seen stories of shops leaving razor cuts and breaking parts on cars as well. Love them in concept, but in application I'm not sure they're the greatest thing. I figure that a wrap would cost about the same as buying and swapping factory parts, but be temporary.

I'd much prefer an NA2. If it were blue or even white or silver, it'd be a no brainer. Spa yellow just draws too much attention for me, much like a red ferrari or green lamborghini.

There's definitely a healthy market for Spa Yellows, but a NA2 blue or white will probably be pretty hard to come by, comparatively. Silver probably a lot easier.
In my opinion.

I would just sell it as is. Sure, you'll get a bigger market with a stock car, but it won't affect prices much and you do take a risk bringing it back to stock. Plus, maybe there are people who want a modified NSX but don't have the know-how to do it... and don't want to pay a hefty fine boosting it. This was my case and it worked out.

Back