• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

rev limiter question

Vex

Contributing Member
I was driving my car this morning when I decided to get on it a little bit. As I watch the rpms go up, I anticipate shifting right before 8k rpm. Much to my surprise, i start bouncing off the rev-limiter at around 7k-7.3k rpm. What's going on here?

I searched the forums and the only thing I can find is info on a guy who put an NSX motor in a legend....he was having an ecu issue i assume. The lack of search results leaves me even more stumped. Thanks in advance.

Chris

Had the engine warmed up when this happened? If the engine is cold and hasn't completely warmed up the rev limiter will kick in early at 7k rpm.

Check for codes if that's not the case. It could be a temp sensor failure or if you also have noticed a speedo issue it could be the Vehicle Speed Sensor which both can cause an early rev limiter. If I recall your NSX was a manual but the automatics do have a lower rev limiter on them too if I remember correctly.

Im on a business trip at the moment, but when I get back I will double check and makes sure the car is warm. I was driving around for a while before I got on it the other day, but then again, it was cool outside. But I could have sworn the temp guage read something to the effect of "HEY, im warm and ready to go!" lol thanks for the info

Had the engine warmed up when this happened? If the engine is cold and hasn't completely warmed up the rev limiter will kick in early at 7k rpm.

Check for codes if that's not the case. It could be a temp sensor failure or if you also have noticed a speedo issue it could be the Vehicle Speed Sensor which both can cause an early rev limiter. If I recall your NSX was a manual but the automatics do have a lower rev limiter on them too if I remember correctly.

I agree with you, if is not warmed to normal engine temp then the rev limiter will "kick in" earlier".

Back