• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Road America April 8,9 2006

Steve and I have been researching this event for the past 4 years, and in the first 3 years we would NOT reccomend the event. Last years two events, they have made GREAT strides with new organizers, and it is now reccomendable. We DO suggest to ask for one of the top two tiers, as the novice and intermediate still have a few wannabe's. The top groups are filled with Z06's, Vipers, Sti's, Evo's, RX7's, M3's etc etc.

Passengers are allowed with helmets, and guests are only $5.

Briank said:
Tom

Dam you got me salivating :biggrin: how is the F body group to run with?

Brian,
I've been to just about every event they had there just to watch though and they have had some major incidents in the past. I believe a few years ago they had 14 crashes in two days.Last year seemed to be a safe one though. When you sign up you put yourself in the group you think you should be in not what they think you should. I believe they have Instructors for Novice if you ask but not required to have one. So the two days are really just lapping days in the group your in. Novice I don't think can give rides but the other three groups can. The groups are Novice,Intermediate,Advanced and Assertive. I plan on doing one day only in Advanced but you have to split the spot with someone else $175 a day I believe...looking forward to it.

From a few years ago...:eek: Notice the Ferrari in the first pic. I believe he went off the track between 3-5 and drove out on the track and the Z06 tried to avoid him which caused him to hit the wall. Then again the 360 lost it on 5 and was facing traffic... that guy did not belong in that group.

Last edited:
My first event was the Windy City BMWCA at RA last sping and I was in the intermeadiat group and then I did CGI at Gingerman twice so I have a little experience. RA still concerns me a little just because of the extended speeds and limited run off area.

Briank said:
My first event was the Windy City BMWCA at RA last sping and I was in the intermeadiat group and then I did CGI at Gingerman twice so I have a little experience. RA still concerns me a little just because of the extended speeds and limited run off area.

Brian,
Just run the Intermediate group...Tom or I can ride with you a few sessions to give you some pointers if you want. I can't believe Windy City didn't put you in Novice your first time out.

As much fun as RA sounds, I'll be limited this year as I hope to have my house sold and be building a new one, so funds will be tight for the summer. I'm planning on the May 22nd with CGI and then again if we do one in the fall. I'm pushing to have a customer of mine come with his new Z06 if he takes delivery on time and gets it broken in plus another vendor of mine with a 83 porsche. Hello business expense tax deduction! :biggrin:

I'm planning on it unless something goes awry with my closing dates. The wife might be joining too as a spectator. Next year she wants to do a track day at Gingerman with our Prelude!:biggrin: I'm so proud!:redface:

comquat1 said:
As much fun as RA sounds, I'll be limited this year as I hope to have my house sold and be building a new one, so funds will be tight for the summer. I'm planning on the May 22nd with CGI and then again if we do one in the fall. I'm pushing to have a customer of mine come with his new Z06 if he takes delivery on time and gets it broken in plus another vendor of mine with a 83 porsche. Hello business expense tax deduction! :biggrin:

Those dates sound good to me, you can pick up my tab if you are looking for another write off. CGI does a great job and Gingermann is a fun safe track.

Dave

DDozier said:
Those dates sound good to me, you can pick up my tab if you are looking for another write off. CGI does a great job and Gingermann is a fun safe track.

Dave

Sorry, just looking to write off my own costs. :tongue:

So I have a dumb question, can anyone just show up and watch? and would it be worth it? it sounds cool to just check out, I'd like to see some of these cars in action if possible, plus it would be a good excuse for an early spring motorcycle trip.

Yes... anyone can come and watch. I believe they will charge you $5 to get in.

I see registration is now open and you can just do one day without splitting it with someone. The price for one day is $200 and two is $350.

DDozier said:
CGI does a great job and Gingermann is a fun safe track.

Dave

Come on Dave, you need to come run with the big dogs at a "mans" track. Gingerman is fun, but nothing beats doing 140mph while on an arch coming from the kink heading for a 90 degree turn @ 12! :eek: :biggrin: Gingerman is an appetizer, RA is a feast!

Another option for those looking for track time at Road America is the BMW Club's annual drivers school April 29-30. There are always some NSXs there.

(Better yet, do both!)

Briank said:
I am registered for Saturday only :biggrin: hope the weather is good April 8th is early.
I was at Mid-Ohio that weekend last year. It was sunny and 70 degrees F for the whole weekend. :D The previous weekend they got a foot of snow. :eek:

Climate summary for Plymouth, Wisconsin:
Normal high April 8: 52.3F
Normal low April 8: 32.4F
Record high April 8: 78F
Record low April 8: 11F
Average number of days in April with 0.01 inch of rain or more: 10.4
Average number of days in April with 0.10 inch of rain or more: 6.8
Average number of days in April with 0.50 inch of rain or more: 2.2
Average number of days in April with 1.00 inch of rain or more: 0.7
Average number of days in April with 0.10 inch of snow or more: 1.6
Average number of days in April with 1.00 inch of snow or more: 1.0
Average number of days in April with 2.00 inches of snow or more: 0.7
Average number of days in April with 5.00 inches of snow or more: 0.2

All in all, it is likely to be fine, with a dry track, although it might be pretty cool, particularly in the morning. You would have to be fairly unlucky to have significant disruption due to rain or snow.

This event might be too early for me, as I don't know if I'll get tires for my TE37s in time, and I don't want to run my tires from last year at any more track events. If I don't run, I'm still planning on watching and riding with you guys.

Sean

Just sent in for Sunday...but plan on going to watch-help on Saturday also.

Back