• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Road Trip to DC next weekend

Hey guys,

So I'm going to a wedding June 30th in Falls Church VA and I am considering taking my NSX from Mass to DC area and back that weekend. I had a couple of questions that I'm wondering if any of you locals would know.

Is there any recommendations for hotels I could go to where it would be relatively safe to park the NSX over night in the area?

Are there any areas you recommend me not to drive through? (due to crime, construction, potholes, etc)

Also what should I expect in regards from the police in the area. Am I going to be harrassed because I'm driving an out of state NSX with somewhat loud exhaust? Is this like a guaranteed ticket waiting to happen. If so I might just opted out to drive my crappy accord or just fly over and rent a car for the weekend.

The DC area can be tough on speeders but not so bad on exhaust noise unless you draw attention to yourself. You are likely to have to drive at least 10 MPH over the speed limit in the I95 corridor to avoid being run down; not a problem in an NSX.
BEWARE: Falls Church is almost exclusively 25 MPH and enforced vigorously!
Sorry I have no recommnedation on a hotel or parking safety. I'll check around and post any additional information I find out.
General road conditions are pretty good but there's a lot of construction in the area. Stay away from the Tysons Corner area on Rt. 7 as much as possible. The subway (elevated through this area) is creating some unique road conditions and construction tie-ups. If you cannot avoid it due to your local travel needs, just be aware that there is construction. I had my NSX through there yesterday and it's part of my daily drive in my other car. No real problems other than congestion.
Grybrd

Last edited:
Thank you for the feedback. My main concern was getting a ticket. I don't drive crazy in my NSX and from what you say, I think I should be fine if I do take it.

When in DC don't worry so much about police pulling you over for speeding because they have a ton of speed cameras. The good news is no points, but they are expensive. There are a lot of nice hotels in Crystal City which is Alexandra, Va and Tyson Corners with covered parking. Both of these locations are fairly close to Falls Church, Crystal City is closer to DC if that is a consideration. When driving in DC BEWARE OF POTHOLES!!!!!!

Let us know if you have time for a get together, I'm sure we can get a few NSXers to go out for a meet.

Thank you all I actually ended up making reservations at the Hyatt house in falls church. This is where the bride, groom, and other friends will be staying for the Saturday + Sunday night. Seems like they have a parking garage so I guess that will be pretty good way of keeping my car safe. I'll be arriving Saturday after 4PM is my guess so I don't think I can hang out much Saturday evening due to just being tired after the 8 hour drive.

It appears there is a cars and coffee not to far from falls church in fair fax on Sunday according to your other thread. I'll try to plan to go to that if any of you guys plan to go to it.

Last edited:
There's the Fair Lakes Cars and Coffee, should be about 10-15mins from where you are staying.

Fair Lakes Cars & Coffee
Every Sunday, 8:30 am to 10:30 am
Starbucks/Kohls Parking Lot
12599 Fair Lakes Circle, Fairfax VA 22033

If the weather cooperates I'll plan to attend as it's been a while since I've been to one.

Will make a point to hit up Kohl's this weekend to say hi to an out-of-towner

The biggest oddity about VA is radar detectors, don't bother using one down in this area:
1) they will ticket you if they see it
2) traffic sucks so bad you won't need it anyways

Unless you know your way around, not a lot of good cruising spots, so hitting Kohl's is probably your best bet for a fun car related activity.

If you're available really early on Saturday, the Great Falls (Katie's C&C) meet might also be worth seeing.

Driving tip: unless you're very familiar with the actual District and know which roads won't destroy your car, avoid driving into it. DC has notoriously shitty roads, especially in contrast to northern Virginia and even a lot of surrounding Maryland.

Yeah I won't be able to make it to Saturdays C&C since I'll probably be in Connecticut at the time on my way south. Weather doesn't look great for this weekend though. It's like scattered thunderstorms the whole weekend that's a bummer. Hopefully Sunday morning stays dry.

This DC weathers been a bit crazy.
One minute it's sunny and scorching hot outside. Next minute it's dark and cloudy. Then the next it's raining buckets. And then back to the sun right away.

From the looks of it its just going to be cloudy with a low chance of rain this morning so I plan to go to the fair lakes C&C today. Hope to see some of you guys there. I'll plan to get theresometime between 8:45 and 9AM.

Was good hanging with you yesterday, I hope you enjoyed our little car scene. Feel free to come back anytime

It was great meeting your guys yesterday. Looks like you guys have a much more active car scene compared to the Northeast. Thank you for meeting up and showing me a little of the DC and VA car scene. :)

Just got back to mass like an hour ago. NSX had no problem making that 800+ mile round trip drive even with the crappy weather. Also it's true, these NSX seats are super comfortable for long drives. I have no back pain at all which is pretty awesome considering I just did two 9 hours drives in it, all in 3 days.

BTW those GTLW you guys have sound awesome. It was the first time hearing those in person.

Last edited:
It was great meeting your guys yesterday. Looks like you guys have a much more active car scene compared to the Northeast. Thank you for meeting up and showing me a little of the DC and VA car scene. :)

Just got back to mass like an hour ago. NSX had no problem making that 800+ mile round trip drive even with the crappy weather. Also it's true, these NSX seats are super comfortable for long drives. I have no back pain at all which is pretty awesome considering I just did two 9 hours drives in it, all in 3 days.

BTW those GTLW you guys have sound awesome. It was the first time hearing those in person.

Good to hear you got back with out any problems.

GTLW - 16 pounds, best bang for the buck

Bryan

Back