• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Rosetta Stone language sets

I have the software to learn Mandarin. I already speak/read/write the language to a decent degree and use it as a refresher so my POV is a little different. I think overall it's a solid product but it is NOT a miracle maker by any stretch. It will still take tons of hard work and thousands of hours of dedication, especially if you want to learn a language not based on Latin.

It's certainly a good start/better than nothing and it does have a unique approach.

I used level 1 and 2 before going to a 1 on 1 teacher and it does help keep you from having no exposure or little to the language. It's the best software out and fun to start with, but software doesn't really get you too far without humans. A visit to the country you're trying to learn helps as well.

I was doing the japanese version. I would think this would be EXTREMELY DIFFICULT if I didn't take 3 years of japanese in highschool. It would be almost impossible. But since I had exposure (i just forgot most of it), i picked it back up rather easily. Then I got lazy and quit =]

I got the Korean one and unless you already speak some Korean, the damn thing becomes impossible very just the first few levels.

I like the Pimsleur language courses a lot better. You can start speaking after just a few lessons. I was starting to learn Thai a year or two ago, the Rosetta Stone stuff was very confusing whereas the Pimsleur was simple and effective. After you get the basics down, the Rosetta Stone became quite handy.

I am looking at picking this up this week, but before dumping $500.00 was curious if anyone had any further input??

Thanks.. :biggrin:

$500? umm...try it first via isohunt. If you like it, then consider purchasing it. If the FBI uses this with their agents, I would assume its good for the regular Joe.

I swear by pimsleurs as well, I tried rosetta stone for korean and it taught me how to say elephant and random words. With Pimsleur after a few lessons, I can now order Beer!!! I can also ask for directions, greet people and have basic conversations.

I am currently going through the Rosetta Stone Spanish course.
For me it is good for vocabulary and pronunciation. However it is very slow in teaching conversational language. The other issue, is that you have to sit in front of the computer with headphones on, so it is a bit limiting. I supplement it with several conversational Spanish cds that I can listen to in the car or while at work. I think it is a bit expensive for what you get.

Nate in DC

I am currently going through the Rosetta Stone Spanish course.
For me it is good for vocabulary and pronunciation. However it is very slow in teaching conversational language. The other issue, is that you have to sit in front of the computer with headphones on, so it is a bit limiting. I supplement it with several conversational Spanish cds that I can listen to in the car or while at work. I think it is a bit expensive for what you get.

Nate in DC

Thats what I'm expecting. I've heard its not the best at developing coversational skills, but it seems like it would help immensly with pronunciation. Apparently it comes with CD's as well which like you said she be used to supplement.
Just not sure its worth $500.00 (thats the complete package). I'm going to be using a tutor alongside this, so I'm not looking for it to teach me everything.. but for the money it should really be helping me advance.

I am with Bradley on this...pimsleur is better. Bradley, korp kun krup!!! :biggrin:

I like the Pimsleur language courses a lot better. You can start speaking after just a few lessons. I was starting to learn Thai a year or two ago, the Rosetta Stone stuff was very confusing whereas the Pimsleur was simple and effective. After you get the basics down, the Rosetta Stone became quite handy.

my wife learned french using rosetta stone. Her french freinds say she has a parisian accent, because she practiced like the person on the dvd. LOL

I must admit, she is now very fluent. But she is a very amazing woman:cool:

You might want to try before you know it, byki.com. Friend of an exes that speaks six languages recommended this. Its a lot cheaper $39.99 and they have a trial version to see if you like it. I have it downloaded for spanish....have yet to put in the hours. That's the hard part to me.

Back