• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Rough shifting

Okay to update on the situation of "rough shifting"...
I went to an NSX meet recently where several people took a look at my car and suggested that perhaps the bearing may be out..and that the term for this is not "rough shifting" but perhaps "hanging up"
(on a side note: "notchy shifting" is an altogether different feel in some older NSXs which I am not and have never experienced in my car)...
so i took it to Goodson Acura and had them look at the car....

They opened up the case (1.5 hours of labor) and said that everything looked 100% fine, and they did not see any problems with the bearing. They did decide to spray some lubricating oil on the mechanism. I then drove it home and it made things 1000% better...perhaps the lubricating spray made a significant difference??? the shifting is now back to being as smooth as silk now....

I guess this is one of those things that for any other car, I would just let it go, but I drive the NSX for a pure driving experience and perhaps am more sensitive to these types of things for the NSX

... anyways, I just wanted to share my experiences with the forum as I
couldnt find any mention of this throughout NSX prime...

I realize this is an old thread, but perhaps skinnydoc or another can elaborate on the repair. What "case" was opened for inspection of the bearing? At 1.5 hours the console comes to mind, not the transmission.

My '92 with 45K has started sufferring occasional notchy-ness in shifting. Otherwise the drivetrain is perfect and has been pampered all its life. Cold vs. hot doesn't matter, nor does the gear. Previously it was silky smooth between all gears. Checking and cleaning the shift cables did not eliminate the problem, neither did use of the GM fluid.

The 5-sp in my '92 is a different tranny but perhaps skinnydoc's solution might also apply.

Back