• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

RPM Question

ck

Experienced Member
I was wondering if any of you had every experienced this happen with their car. I have a 97 6 spd and when I push the clutch down between shifts and let off the gas, the tach shoots up a few hundred RPM's, depending on how hard I am driving. Now, if I let the gas off way early before I press the clutch, this doesn't happen. I have never seen this on any other car that I have driven and didn't happen on my previous NSX. My car's RPM's also dip sometimes when I am coming to a stop in 1st gear and depress the clutch. Is this related. Everything else feels fine. One more thing, I bought the car second hand and it has always driven like this. Could it be related to the clutch? Any help appreciated.

I believe the 97+ NSX was designed to keep revs up between shifts under hard driving. So the rise in RPM may be the computer trying to match revs between shifts.

The dip in 1st gear sounds like an O2 sensor is giving a bad reading causing the computer to adjust air/fuel/spark incorrectly. Have the voltage reading of the O2 sensors checked (I think there are 4 sensors).

Had the same thing on a Honda once. And The post above was correct. Changing the O2 sensor acutally helped. ( and improved my gas milage a little bit too :) )

Originally posted by dswartz:
I believe the 97+ NSX was designed to keep revs up between shifts under hard driving. So the rise in RPM may be the computer trying to match revs between shifts.

The dip in 1st gear sounds like an O2 sensor is giving a bad reading causing the computer to adjust air/fuel/spark incorrectly. Have the voltage reading of the O2 sensors checked (I think there are 4 sensors).

Had the same thing on a Honda once. And The post above was correct. Changing the O2 sensor acutally helped. ( and improved my gas milage a little bit too :))
Good call guys!

This has nothing to do with the question but it seems a good time to get it off my chest.Way back Lud originally asked that I share some of my knowledge with the Forum. This was my first forum experience and have been to many since then. I'm no expert on forums but have a fairly reputable name as a Japanese High End Tuner. In my eyes this
automotive based Forum and its members has all the qualities of which others should be measured from. Having a good moderator probably helps a little.
biggrin.gif

I am also not ashamed to say that,I too, have picked up quite a bit from all the members.I've always practiced thorougly listening to the client before taking a test drive, nobody knows their car better than the owner himself...therefore he is the expert.
Sadly, through the many e-mails I receive and reading posts from this Forum,I have seen many arguments in the past amongst ourselves, yet when problems are not resolved or evolve from a simple service by the dealership and/or so called certified NSX technicians, most of you won't question it and accept their lame excuse. Probably end up staring another argument in defense of their BS on the NSX Forum.
Personally I know most technicians you guys confide to are incapable of understanding your expectations or quite simply, to just getting it right.Come to think of it...are there any techs on this Forum??? Remember...THE LAST THING THEY WANT ANYBODY TO KNOW IS THAT THEY DON'T KNOW.
You'd be better off paying for brief instructions and the usage of their equipment and doing it yourself! Alignment shops are a perfect example. If I had the opportunity to develop a NSX racecar or if ever, enter a NSX troubleshooting contest and had a choice between 10 certified USA NSX technicians or 10 guys from this Forum? Honestly, I'd be posting a "Help Wanted" on this Forum in a heartbeat, and confidently feel we'd be victorious. So the next time they say "that's normal or that's the best we could get out of it" send them to this Forum and ask for the experts.Thanks for your time.

Sincerely,
Bruce Nomura
Nomura Tuning and Design

Hello Bruce!!
I recently saw a car in the Seattle area that was Twin Turbo'd by you!!. It was beautifully done.
Exactly how was that car setup and how much did it cost to run that setup?
Can you give me some details?

Good points Bruce.

There was a TSB for this issues. The throttle-by-wire program was keeping the throttle on longer than normal. Check out the FAQs.

-- Chris

------------------
SoS_logo.gif

www.ScienceofSpeed.com - Click for more info
www.NSXClassifieds.com - The internet's only exclusive NSX Classified site!

Originally posted by Edo:
I recently saw a car in the Seattle area that was Twin Turbo'd by you!!. It was beautifully done.

Eddie was this the blue TT?

Bruce good to see you're still hangin around here. You should chime in more often.

------------------
hejo
Speed%20of%20Heat.gif

Lake Oswego, Oregon
95T Blk\Blk SportShift

Back