Rythmic vibration of steering wheel issue

I noticed this weekend that when I get above 80-85mph I pick up a rythmic vibration. The steering wheel vibrates about .10/sec every .75/sec or so. As speed increases towards 100, the vibration increases in amplitude and the interval lessens. Any ideas? Wheels are balanced, tires are new.

I noticed this weekend that when I get above 80-85mph I pick up a rythmic vibration. The steering wheel vibrates about .10/sec every .75/sec or so. As speed increases towards 100, the vibration increases in amplitude and the interval lessens. Any ideas? Wheels are balanced, tires are new.

maybe wheels are bent?

as above,,what wheels?oem or aftermarket:confused:

Just because the tires are new, I wouldn't automatically assume they are balanced correctly. Although I've never run a balancer myself, I'm told a monkey could do it. However, all of the tire monkeys I run across ALWAYS need a second, or even a third chance to get the balance right. Huge pet-peeve of mine. I'm >| |< this close to buying a balancer for my garage... if only my wife wouldn't kill me.

EDIT: If both front tires were out of balance, the vibration in the steering wheel would come and go if you are rounding a turn, as in the long sweepers you'll get at highway speeds. With the outside tire spinning faster than the inside tire, the vibrations in each tire will gradually shift from being exactly synchronized, to being 180° out from one another, then back in sync again.

Last edited:
Maybe you have a slightly dented wheel. Check the inside vice the outer lip.

I have the exact same problem at the same speeds. Can't figure it out. Tried putting the stock wheels back on and same thing, just at a different speed. I'm thinking it's an axle or wheel bearing issue now

I have found that the best way to check is to Jack the car up and wiggle some parts around tie rod ends, control arms they should not have any play. This is something I like to do every time I'm under the car changing the oil. I usually check the CV boots for rips and drive shafts for play or damage as well as the suspension for any movement or play. Not bad to do while you are under there.

To me it sounds like tire balance a lot of times the stick on wheel weights have a tendency to come off, if the wheels were dirty when they were installed. I have had them come off on other cars.

Back