• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

?'s about a '91

I own a 2000 NSX and a friend of mine is looking at buying at 1991. I went and test drove it for him yesterday and have a couple of concerns. I'm hoping someone with more mechanical knowledge who owns a 1991 can give me some more info. First, the clutch is very stiff (especially compared to my 2000). Is this normal? Second, there was a lot of vibration coming through the shifter and it felt like it wanted to pop out of gear if I rested my hand on it Is this a sign of a clutch and/or transmission problem? I didn't feel the clutch slipping but I'm not guaranteeing it wasn't slipping just a little bit (certainly it isn't slipping badly). The engine seemed strong with no problems. The handling seemed real good as well. Should I be concerned or am I just seeing the refinement that happened over ~10 years in the car.

The exterior is in decent shape. There is really only 1 small ding in the drivers door and the paint is in pretty good shape. It does have some scratches and the paint shows a lot of swirl marks. The interior is ok. The shifter and sterring wheel leather show a lot of wear. The seats are also cracking in multiple places. The car has 42K miles. The dealer is asking $30K for the car. As best I can tell, the timing belt has not been changed and we aren't certain about the level of maintainence that has been done to the car. We know a local customer bought the car used and has had it for about a year (the dealer is going to contact the previous owner as see if we can get more information). We have asked the dealer to check the transmission to find out if it is in the snapring range which they will do on Monday.

What do people think about this car based on the info currently available? If the car is mechanically sound, $30K seems like a good deal and I'm betting they will come down some on the price (so maybe 27-28K).

Last edited:
Does the stick shift seem to be moving some back and forth when accelerating and decelerating? If so, than you probably have a broken snap ring which could be from $1500 and way up depending on how much damage was done. The first thing that I would do is check the tranny number to see if it is in snap ring range and then have the dealer check then snap ring itself to see if it is ok. The 91's stick should be smooth, just like any other NSX.

That price should be very negotiable if the major service has been determined by miles and not time,because all that stuff needs to be done.

Back