• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

S/C NSX That Much Faster Than Stock?

I've been researching putting a supercharger kit on my 2002 NSX for about two months now. I'd like to get inputs from drivers who have a superchargered NSX before I put $25K into my car and end up being disappointed in the performance.

It appears I can get around 400hp with a supercharger, headers, exhaust and a high flow air intake. However, from the information I've been able to collect it isn't obvious to me where the performance is showing up. For example, car magazines that tested the later model NSX's showed 0-60 times of 4.8 - 4.5 seconds and quarter mile times of 13.8 - 13.2.

When I compare these performance figures with a supercharged NSX the numbers are around: 0-60 time of 4.3 - 4.5 seconds and quarter mile times of 13.2 - 12.9.

Unless there is significant top end performance gains I'm not seeing where another 100+ horsepower is showing up. Are the gains more in the 100mph and above range? So it would be much faster from 100 - 180 mph than stock?

Wouldn't this seem to suggest the stock NSX is very highly tuned at the factory that putting a supercharger on it really doesn't buy you a significant amount of performance? Especially, in the 0 - 100mph range?

I am far from being knowledgable about things so any inputs from someone that has been down this path is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

The trap speed in the 1/4 mile goes from around 106 to closer to 114MPH. Some faster, some slower. The feeling of driving a SC car is great compared to stock. Much more TQ.

For the money though, the angus turbo kit is a much better bang for your buck and easily faster than a CTSC. Having just rode in one a weeks ago, it was much more fun than a CTSC imo.

Speed has nothing to do with where the power is. Engine speed does though.
Without forced induction at all the NSX isn't really that fast. It is a night and day difference when you add a turbo or supercharger. I don't really care about the numbers. Go ride in a turbo or supercharged nsx and you'll see.

An angus turbo with installation and tuning and everything else isn't even going to cost half of that 25k you claim.

I've been researching putting a supercharger kit on my 2002 NSX for about two months now. I'd like to get inputs from drivers who have a superchargered NSX before I put $25K into my car and end up being disappointed in the performance.

It appears I can get around 400hp with a supercharger, headers, exhaust and a high flow air intake. However, from the information I've been able to collect it isn't obvious to me where the performance is showing up. For example, car magazines that tested the later model NSX's showed 0-60 times of 4.8 - 4.5 seconds and quarter mile times of 13.8 - 13.2.

When I compare these performance figures with a supercharged NSX the numbers are around: 0-60 time of 4.3 - 4.5 seconds and quarter mile times of 13.2 - 12.9.

Unless there is significant top end performance gains I'm not seeing where another 100+ horsepower is showing up. Are the gains more in the 100mph and above range? So it would be much faster from 100 - 180 mph than stock?

Wouldn't this seem to suggest the stock NSX is very highly tuned at the factory that putting a supercharger on it really doesn't buy you a significant amount of performance? Especially, in the 0 - 100mph range?

I am far from being knowledgable about things so any inputs from someone that has been down this path is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Here is the problem... Your numbers for both are way off... For a 3.2L stock, the best time BY FAR for a 3.2 was the Popular Mechanics numbers on the coupe and that was 4.7 seconds. Normal results are far more typically 5.0 seconds 0-60 for the 3.2L targa.

The 3.2L targa with CTSC can be seen pulling 0-60 consistently below 4.5 seconds in many a video here. If you do the full upgrade (headers, exhaust, CTSC), you are looking at 4.0 flat to low 4s almost certainly assuming you can drive. I've personally timed myself at 4.54 with Dynolicious on the iPhone and that is really taking it easy and with my admittedly meager skills. My friend got my car down to 4.12.

An autorotor CTSC with a high boost kit will certainly drop you into the high 3s

You can just do a power to weight really. My 1999 3.2L CTSC car dyno'd at around 360HP at the wheels. Stock was about 100HP less. 10HP is usually good for about .1 seconds 0-60 with weight being equal. Thats about 1 second which makes sense because 5.0 stock and 4.0 CTSC is a good rough rule of thumb.

That kind of difference you REALLY feel SOTP. "Worth it" is subjective and is about budget, priorities, etc.

In terms of $, you should be able to come in at $15k at worst for some kind of FI (CTSC, turbo, whatever) plus headers and exhaust installed. Why are you figuring $25k?

Last thing is... 100HP is 100HP... There's no question there. HP doesnt just "go away". So it sounds to me like you are doubting the veracity of the 100HP or so claims of the FI kits. For that, search is your friend. Just look for the before and after dyno results over the years. There have been a lot of them. You will see that 75-100HP gains are not uncommon at all.

Last edited:
Here is the problem... Your numbers for both are way off... For a 3.2L stock, the best time BY FAR for a 3.2 was the Popular Mechanics numbers on the coupe and that was 4.7 seconds. Normal results are far more typically 5.0 seconds 0-60 for the 3.2L targa.

The 3.2L targa with CTSC can be seen pulling 0-60 consistently below 4.5 seconds in many a video here. If you do the full upgrade (headers, exhaust, CTSC), you are looking at 4.0 flat to low 4s almost certainly assuming you can drive. I've personally timed myself at 4.54 with Dynolicious on the iPhone and that is really taking it easy and with my admittedly meager skills. My friend got my car down to 4.12.

An autorotor CTSC with a high boost kit will certainly drop you into the high 3s

You can just do a power to weight really. My 1999 3.2L CTSC car dyno'd at around 360HP at the wheels. Stock was about 100HP less. 10HP is usually good for about .1 seconds 0-60 with weight being equal. Thats about 1 second which makes sense because 5.0 stock and 4.0 CTSC is a good rough rule of thumb.

That kind of difference you REALLY feel SOTP. "Worth it" is subjective and is about budget, priorities, etc.

In terms of $, you should be able to come in at $15k at worst for some kind of FI (CTSC, turbo, whatever) plus headers and exhaust installed. Why are you figuring $25k?

Last thing is... 100HP is 100HP... There's no question there. HP doesnt just "go away". So it sounds to me like you are doubting the veracity of the 100HP or so claims of the FI kits. For that, search is your friend. Just look for the before and after dyno results over the years. There have been a lot of them. You will see that 75-100HP gains are not uncommon at all.

Excellent post with some great information. I've been wanting to go FI for over a year now but didn't get around to it this summer. Sorry to psuedo-threadjack but what exactly is the difference between hi-boost Autorotor vs standard CTSC? Looks like there is a discernible performance difference.

come for a ride in mine , science of speed supercharger, their full intercooler kit and comptech headers and exhaust stock intake there is no camparison it is a beast set for low boost about 390hp at the wheels , i find this the best power to weight ratio for my taste. the car still feels factory refined . it is sick as you know what campared to stock. i live in the sullivan county catskills you are open to come for a test ride

Just took a ride on track in my friends NSX with a SoS Kennie Bell system that Chris sells. The kit runs for just under $11k with the AEM EMS. The car is identical to mine 91 Blk/Ivory 50,000 miles. Cost to install and tune was about $2,500 it puts down near 370whp. It feels so nice you wont believe it. He has the stock gearing in and the Advanced headers and exhaust from SoS. At Road America I can see just under 140mph into 1 and 12 I have short gears and 4.23 final he is seeing 157mph into 1 and still in 4th gear. Hands down you get a ride in one you will want one as I do but I may opt for the LoveFab kit next year. Here are a couple pics of it installed.

Last edited:
come for a ride in mine , science of speed supercharger, their full intercooler kit and comptech headers and exhaust stock intake there is no camparison it is a beast set for low boost about 390hp at the wheels , i find this the best power to weight ratio for my taste. the car still feels factory refined . it is sick as you know what campared to stock. i live in the sullivan county catskills you are open to come for a test ride

That sounds like a great system. Who did your install? I know Larry B is in your neck of the woods.

I went with an Autorotor low boost with headers on my 3.0l and ended up with 350rwhp. I think you would be more like 385ish on a 3.2l.

To get 400+, I think you're looking at having to do aftercooling.

Although I certainly welcomed the added 100hp over stock, I found 350hp with a SC a little underwhelming, and have consequently gone in search of more.

I think 400hp or more over is where the car needs to be for the "Woooooo Hoooo!" effect, and it's an expensive road with a supercharger.

Hope it helps and Good luck!

I went with an Autorotor low boost with headers on my 3.0l and ended up with 350rwhp. I think you would be more like 385ish on a 3.2l.

To get 400+, I think you're looking at having to do aftercooling.

Although I certainly welcomed the added 100hp over stock, I found 350hp with a SC a little underwhelming, and have consequently gone in search of more.

I think 400hp or more over is where the car needs to be for the "Woooooo Hoooo!" effect, and it's an expensive road with a supercharger.

Hope it helps and Good luck!

Both my brother and I have Autorotors on 3.0L motors. My brother put down 365rwhp and I put down 350rwhp on the stock kit. We then both went to the high boost set-up with AEM FIC's and he is now putting down 405 while I am putting down 390 without aftercoolers.

Both my brother and I have Autorotors on 3.0L motors. My brother put down 365rwhp and I put down 350rwhp on the stock kit. We then both went to the high boost set-up with AEM FIC's and he is now putting down 405 while I am putting down 390 without aftercoolers.

Would you agree that 400hp is the "Wooooo Hoooo!" number, not 350...?:smile:

What is considered high boost with autorotor?

going from 6-7 to 9-10 lbs?

science of speed did my install because my car was at my second home in az but it is here at my summer home right now. larry b is more than qualified to do this install he is also the only one in this region that has ever worked on my cars

Would you agree that 400hp is the "Wooooo Hoooo!" number, not 350...?:smile:

Yes, I'd say so. 350 is fun but not nearly enough. For some reason, and I've said before, I think my Zanardi is just marginally slower than my CTSC. Maybe its the weight, smaller wheels, who knows. If I had to do it againm I'd go Turbo without a doubt but the S/C has alot of advantages.

Someone said it best: get a ride in a 375+/- who nsx and then make up your mind. Words don't do it. Also, while you will make more power boost for pound of boost with a turbo, the beauty of supercharging is you maintain the nearly identical power curve of the original. I have a 382 whp 3 liter CTSC with high boost & meth injection. Next step is SOS's intercooler. I have 24k miles post boosting and 95k total & car has never had issues. To me, this is the car Honda should/could have made.

Someone said it best: get a ride in a 375+/- who nsx and then make up your mind. Words don't do it. Also, while you will make more power boost for pound of boost with a turbo, the beauty of supercharging is you maintain the nearly identical power curve of the original. I have a 382 whp 3 liter CTSC with high boost & meth injection. Next step is SOS's intercooler. I have 24k miles post boosting and 95k total & car has never had issues. To me, this is the car Honda should/could have made.

I suppose that depends on what type of SC you use. If you go with a centrifugal, it'll be a top end monster, but if you want to come out of the hole/turns, a screw-type would be more fun, IMHO.

I like the power my Vortech T-trim gives me, but I like the torque my other car has with a turbo. I always have to downshift for power with the Vortech. Passing in 6th gear is effortless with the turbo car (neither are an NSX).

With that said, when I boosted my SHO, it WAS night and day and really woke the car up. I went from 215whp to 381whp, then onto 440whp. I couldn't own one without boost now.:) I don't think you'll wish you didn't boost the car.

Last edited:
Anything above 4 to mid carries all the fun. when I was at 380ish on 6psi, i tho it was freakin fun until I crank up the boost to 8psi and made a bit over 450. WOOOOOOOOOOOOW!!!!!!!!! That's all I can say.

honestly if you are worried about whether you will have enough power and are ready to spend $25k....a turbo setup is definitely for you. BTW there is no way it should cost you more than 13k or less for a good quality kit with clutch, fueling, engine management and tuning. $25k should have you a completely built motor too.

the best part about the turbocharger is that it has no limits, when you want more power you can have more power, or if you want something that can give you excellent power down low you can have that too with a smaller turbo setup. with a custom spec'd system you can choose the exact setup for you, and typically can upgrade down the line if and when(they always do) you want more power.

I have a 3.2 with comp tech autorotor SC putting down 380, have to agree with a few comments- night and day!the whole setup with headers, exhaust cost a lot less than 25k

Back