• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

S2000 owner (first post)

I have always loved the NSX. I had the chace to drive one a few years back. I didn't buy it because it seemed like the headroom was in short supply. I'm 6'3" and my head was quite close to the roof. Also the car owned by a co-worker had 4 bald tires with the steel belts showing in places. Needless to say the handling was less than stellar. So my driving impression was not good at all.

Anyway I now own a 03 S2000. I think it has a lot of the NSX soul. Meaning it's not a numbers car, but more an emotional car. It's more about fun to drive.

I was wondering a few things about the NSX. Were the later models changed in any significant way to improve the headroom?

Is there any word one way or the other if Honda will be replacing the NSX with an all new car. I think the new ones have priced themselves out of the market. They should be going head to head with the 911 on price and that means starting at $70K. For close to $90K the NSX is not a bargan it was 12 years ago. In fact it's getting close to the price of a GT3 that comes with 380hp(edit) engine:eek:

Last edited:
As for the headroom issue the 97+ have aTarga Top!:D
The price is getting a wee bit high but the engine is now 290 hp. So if the GT3 you are refering to has 'only' 280hp that would mean the NSX has it beat in that regard.
A friend of mine is ALWAYS asking to drive my car and since he is young (18) and I know his driving habits I always just chuckly when he asks. Anyway, he just bought a new S2k also for around 30K. I keep telling him he could've bought a great used NSX for that price.
BTW, why didn't you get an NSX? Seems like your post is bashing it a little. :confused:

92NSX said:
BTW, why didn't you get an NSX? Seems like your post is bashing it a little. :confused:
Well I buy new cars (usually) so there's the $90K sticker. All I'm saying is that if I were going to spend $90K for a new NSX I'd be cross shopping a new GT3 at $99K that has 380hp.

Also the headroom issue is still there with a targa, unless you drive with the roof off all the time:confused: Unless the targa roof has more headroom with the roof on. Is that what you're saying?

Last edited:
Rai Zero said:
Were the later models changed in any significant way to improve the headroom?

No, but most people - even tall folks - don't have a lot of problem with it.

Rai Zero said:
I think the new ones have priced themselves out of the market. They should be going head to head with the 911 on price and that means starting at $70K. For close to $90K

Until the last couple of months, when supplies have started to dry up with the anticipated discontinuation of the NSX after this model year, you could have bought a new NSX-T for $73-75K, which some folks did. For that price, the car includes as standard equipment features for which you would have to pay more - a LOT more - on a 911, such as HID headlights ($1090 :eek: ), targa top ($7300 :eek: :eek: ), and metallic paint ($3070 :eek: :eek: :eek: ). Between the price of options and the difference in selling prices rather than MSRP, a comparably-equipped new 911 goes out the door for considerably more than a new NSX, and most 911s are sold with these features, features that most folks would consider mandatory for a high-priced car. (Frankly, I think charging $3070 for metallic paint is outrageous...)

Re: Re: S2000 owner (first post)

The REAL nsxtasy said:
Until the last couple of months, when supplies have started to dry up with the anticipated discontinuation of the NSX after this model year, you could have bought a new NSX-T for $73-75K, which some folks did.
I was not aware of this. I never thought you could get a new NSX for $73K that's $15K off :eek:

That's a great price, you're right about the Porsche being very option intesive, I mean HID should be standard equipment an any car in this price range.

are those deals still available?

Last edited:
Brian2by2 said:
Well, I drove my friends S2k and compared to my NSX I was LESS than impressed with everything about the car!! :eek: :eek:

j/k but there is no comparison my friend. None what-so-ever.

well that's not true. The S2000 is very close to as quick as the NSX is almost every way once you know how to drive it. They also both have awesome shifters and are both super fun to drive.

The comparisons do end there though because the NSX is obviously a much better car at a MUCH higher price.

-Steve

P.S. whats up rai, nice seein a fellow s2ki dude over here

Rai Zero said:
I have to figure out how to get my avatar to work here. :mad:

mine goes up for a minute but then i think the mods take it down. someone around here doesn't like sexy pics i suppose. i haven't gotten any PMs or emails or anything, it just disappears.

Brian2by2 said:
Well, I drove my friends S2k and compared to my NSX I was LESS than impressed with everything about the car!! :eek: :eek:

j/k but there is no comparison my friend. None what-so-ever.

Sorry to hear that you feel that way.

As an S2K owner and NSX lover, I'd agree that there's not much sense in comparing the two cars. The fact is that there shouldn't be for that much disparity in price.

However, taken into the context of a $33K new car, I find it difficult to believe that any true enthusiast wouldn't be impressed with the S2K. The powerplant is awesome (I love it but will admit that its not for everyone given its high strung nature and the fact that its probably more at home on the race track than slugging it out on the streets of LA), the gearbox is amazing, the handling is great, as are the brakes. About the only downside to the car is the relatively spartan cockpit, and I'm more than happy with that. If you don't want a bare bones roadster that's about as close to an open wheel race car as you're going to get at this price then look elsewhere. But if you want a high power, low weight, extremely rigid, balanced and tossable convertible then look no further.

I would be curious to hear what you were so disappointed in about the S

It was more sarcastic than anything :-D

I do like S2k's...they look nice and they are drop-tops...I love that in a car. I just like NSX's a little better because, well, they're exotic, they look more appealing (to me at least), and they're superior in performance.

I will say that the VTEC in an S2k is definetly much stronger than in my car (although I just got my first maintence performed, new cam seals, valve adjustment, and some other stuff to increase oil pressure so I think when I get my car back, it will be much stronger)

I don't like the sound that the car makes when it hits VTEC...too muffled.

Great handling though...I hate power-steering in a car that's supposed to handle so well...it makes it feel too loose for me. Not impressed with the low end on that car either. In fact, I wasn't thrown back in the car at all because of hte low-end. Now when the kid i rode with launched at like 5k, then i was thrown back and i loved it!!

S2k is an amazing car but != an NSX :)

The S2000 is in it's 4th year on sale and it's still selling well. With no ad backing whatsoever. And in my area they are still selling for MSRP.

The power to weight ratio is just about the same as the NSX before the slight HP boost in 1997.

I'm not bashing the NSX but it's not odd to me that Honda sold around 32000 S2000's (in the US) while the NSX sold less then 1000 cars in that same 4 year period.

It's also not odd why people would want to buy a brand new S2000 when for the same price they'd be looking at a NSX with 70K miles on the odo.

I just hope Honda is not going to discontinue the NSX because I think there is a demand for a near exotic supercar from somewhere other than Europe.:cool:

The NSX is the nicest looking car ever from Japan and that's certainly worth a lot. I just wish I had the extra cash to buy a nice 03 silverstone. My wife would kill me though.

Last edited:
92NSX said:
Rai Zero,
Do you edit everyone of your posts??? :confused:
j/k :D

What? The first post I made a mistake saying the GT3 had 280hp when I meant 380hp (an honest mistake) and I put (edit) so people would know you can see it yourself.

Also I changed the last line of the previous post because I had said:"the NSX is one of the nicest looking..." and I changed it to: "the nicest looking..."

What's your point:confused: are you accusing me of something?

That "j/k" at the end of his post stands for "just kidding". No worries...

Incidentally, Rai, did you know that if you edit your post within 5 minutes of posting it, it doesn't add that message saying that it was edited?

sorry, I thought I was being accused of "changing" my posts as if to cover something up or delete something. I re-read my posts and correct typos. I don't think that's a big deal. Or I might change something like "that is" to that's if I think it sounds better.

Thanks for setting me straight about the j/k thing.

Also thanks to everyone for responding to this thread :)

I love the S2000. I wouldn't mind getting one but the wife would never let me have 2 Two Seaters. She gave a choice of the NSX or S2000 so I had to choose the NSX. I have a few friends with S2000 one is a Acura/Honda salesman that is a very good autocrosser in his S2000. I really wish they would make a hard top S2000 though as I don't really care for convertables. Living in Hawaii means you see convertables everywhere and it just doesn't do much for me. I guess you could always keep the optional hard top cover on the S2000 on all the time though. Ilove the sound the S2000 makes when reving high rolling down the street. It has a nice low exhaust note and I can't describe it but it just makes a nice sound.

Rai Zero said:
I didn't buy it because it seemed like the headroom was in short supply. I'm 6'3" and my head was quite close to the roof.
I'm 6'3" as well and have no problem with headroom. In fact, with the Dali Pad I have no problem while wearing a helmet.

Re: Re: S2000 owner (first post)

KGP said:
I'm 6'3" as well and have no problem with headroom. In fact, with the Dali Pad I have no problem while wearing a helmet.

I think it all has to do with body proportions. If you have a long upper body you might not fit. My friend is only about 6'1" and his head still can hit the roof on the NSX Coupe. My other friend who is about 6'2" can barely fit his legs in my Coupe. His head is okay but with the seat all the way back his feet are just a little too close to the pedals. He can still drive but it would not be his prefered confort position. If he drives barefeet it is much better though. I'm only 5'4" so I have no problems:D

chrisK,

I have the hardtop for my s2000 it looks really sharp. I know some people on the s2ki.com board that take out the entire folding top (to save weight) and use only the hardtop. But you're right it's a waste of money because you pay all that money for it being a convertible in the first place. For comparison the 350Z convertible is going to cost $5K more than the fixed roof version with the same trim level.

I was just checking my S2000 and it's headroom is also not great for me, but I have about an inch (I think the NSX was not as much room). And with the hard top on I have even more room I think.

I am also 6'3 and I have no problems whatsoever in the X. I have long legs though.

Funny thing is...i'm 6'3 and I still don't sit with my seat all the way back...in fact, its not even close to being all the way back...more like 3/4! If it move it all the way back, i feel so far from the wheel and i hate that feeling!!

Head room: its good, but I'm only 19 and I like to lay back a little when im driivng...you know, gotta be "cool" lol

Back