• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

s2000 start button

I'm doing some custom work to my interior and would like to install a s2000 start button but i'm not exactly sure on how to wire it. Anyone have any ideas and or instructions

Edited: I found another forum where they were talking about the same thing and this is the info I gathered, can someone tell me if this is correct?

S2000 Start Button Pin settings:
Pin #1 is the signal wire.
Pin #2 is power.
Pin #3 is ground.
Pins 4 & 5 are unused.

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showpost.php?p=445295&postcount=17

That is the circuit & instruction I created for the poster.

As an alternative, you can also do this circuit which eliminates requirement to depress the clutch pedal (but will only operate with car in neutral)

5957starter2.JPG

Both circuits still require the key in the ignition position.

I don't understand why some of you want this. It reminds me of the pre 50's cars that had a start button. Most people here try to modernize their cars not go retro :confused: .

I don't understand why some of you want this. It reminds me of the pre 50's cars that had a start button. Most people here try to modernize their cars not go retro :confused: .

Have to agree - did not do this myself, only provided the how-to.

You haven't noticed that in the auto market today, retro is modern?

You haven't noticed that in the auto market today, retro is modern?

I think you should check this thread in 3 years and see his answer... :biggrin:

I think you should check this thread in 3 years and see his answer... :biggrin:

LOL :biggrin:

Anyway I am confused why this thread popped up as having a "new post"

ahhhhh......now I know what happened. A previous person before my post deleted theirs. So it looks like I was the first to post after 3 years. OK....whatever.

Last edited:
Well honestly the reason more and more cars are going this route is because of the proximity key fob. It sense your near or in the car and all you then have to do is start it and the computer takes over from there. Not a big fan of this because if you loose your key fob, it can cost $300 or more to get a new one compared to our standard key. The more computer crap you get in cars, the less control you're going to have in how the car will operate. My latest car which is a Volvo C30 has so much computer control, the dealer has to program it to turn off the daytime running lights, to add fog lights, or any other accessory you buy later. If it runs on electricity the computer controls it and the dealer has all the software to turn functions on-or-off. Sometimes less is definitely more.

Al

Without the proximity key fob, this button is really just a pain in the ass. (novelty)
From a S2000 owner.

you gotta admit though ,it really does make for a cool ass NSX-R video!!!
much better igniting the engine by a push of the button,rather than a turn of the key!
and what a great place to put it,in place of the cig lighter!!!!
lift the cover and push the button,and it illuminates RED!!!! :biggrin:
oh so cool! lol
gary

Wonder what my NSX would look like if I never made any mods just for the looks? Yeah, it would still be 100 % OEM. :cool:

Where can you buy the start button kit?

The aftermarket buttons are junk; if you want the S2000 button, buy the OEM one and use a SPDT relay to kick over the starter.

I think the button is around $50 from Honda, it's easy to get at the ignition switch wiring once you remove the nsx lower kick panels (remove the plastic switch from the cylinder lock).

The aftermarket buttons are junk; if you want the S2000 button, buy the OEM one and use a SPDT relay to kick over the starter.

I think the button is around $50 from Honda, it's easy to get at the ignition switch wiring once you remove the nsx lower kick panels (remove the plastic switch from the cylinder lock).

Where do you get the SPDT relay ? and is that the only 2 things you need to do the install? Thanks

Single pole double throw relay is available at any electronics store. Make sure it is a high current one that can handle the load. Don't get some pin tiny one.

If you want something more than a start button, like keyless entry, Passive RFID alarm and accesory control. Then I would look at installing more than just a start button. The StarDrive system is one that offer true keyless ingnition like the OEM's do. You have an RFID keyfob, you walk within range of the car 5-8ft. the car unlocks the ACC turns on, you put your foot on the brake and press the start button. NO KEYS needed to start the car, unlock the car, listen to the radio, or lock the car when you leave it.

More info here:
http://www.auto-hub.com/stardrive_push_start_ignition.html

and here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GU9d2dUSNOU

Dave

As a former s2k owner who autocrossed I can tell you one good reason for the start button on a car that still requires a key. When you stall the car on an auto-x course or track it is much quicker and more intuitive to simply press the start button to refire the engiine. And you can do it without fumbling around. You don't even have to take your hands off the wheel.

Other than that I think it was just a bit of Honda bling...like the dip stick handle that recesses into the valve cover.

This is one I was working on early this year and was going to build them as a plug and play kit with the custom molded centre panel but got side tracked and built the cruise control panel instead. Personally I think it the nicest of of the all the start button setups Ive seen to date.

StartButton.jpg

The cruise

SAM_1969.jpg

SAM_1963.jpg

If you want something more than a start button, like keyless entry, Passive RFID alarm and accesory control. Then I would look at installing more than just a start button. The StarDrive system is one that offer true keyless ingnition like the OEM's do. You have an RFID keyfob, you walk within range of the car 5-8ft. the car unlocks the ACC turns on, you put your foot on the brake and press the start button. NO KEYS needed to start the car, unlock the car, listen to the radio, or lock the car when you leave it.

More info here:
http://www.auto-hub.com/stardrive_push_start_ignition.html

and here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GU9d2dUSNOU

Dave

Have you installed it yourself?
Seems to have bad review on the Corvette forum:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c4-tech-performance/2616050-stardrive-push-to-start-review.html

Without the proximity key fob, this button is really just a pain in the ass. (novelty)
From a S2000 owner.
I have an S2000 and the reason for the start button is if you are tracking the car and stall/spin out you can start the car with your left hand while having your right hand free to change gears and get back moving. Harldy a pain in the ass

It would be pretty cool I think just to see if someone could complete this job, and then post up a vid. So many fun ideas are conceived on message boards that never seem to come to fruition because of a lack of motivation or a lack of resources and reliable assistance.:redface:

Back