• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

S2000 Steering Wheel DIY... sort of

RYU

Legendary Member
Patron Supporter
Tech Expert
I've gotten a quite a few PMs about this so here's a link to how I installed this thing. http://regans66.blogspot.com/2010/02/s2000-steering-wheel-for-nsx.html Feeling a little lazy to duplicate it here :redface:

Horn works. Cruise Control buttons works. Did not connect air bag for safety reasons. Hope it helps!

Some pics below.
P1060023.jpg

P1060033.jpg

P1060029.jpg

Last edited:
you see them on e-bay alot around 250 for the wheel and if your lucky sometimes with the airbag around 300.

I just dont like the look. it looks like it doesnt go in the car.

Im looking for a Civic SI wheel and bag looks way better and has the Honda logo on the bag. but the only ones I have seen lately are grey in color, the black ones are hard to find

This is the wheel I would buy, it feels really nice and looks pretty classy

Attachments

• acura_tl_5_spd_at_sh_awd_w_technology_package_hpt_2009_interior_steeringwheel.jpg
    acura_tl_5_spd_at_sh_awd_w_technology_package_hpt_2009_interior_steeringwheel.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 1,643
whatever steering wheel you guys decide to go with, do yourself a favor, and swap out the OEM wheel. The ergonomics of a Momo or even the S2k wheel is lightyears better. It really adds so much more to the driving experience of the NSX. I love the way this steering wheel feels especially for non-pwr steering assisted NA1s like mine. ;)

you see them on e-bay alot around 250 for the wheel and if your lucky sometimes with the airbag around 300.

Im looking for a Civic SI wheel and bag looks way better and has the Honda logo on the bag. but the only ones I have seen lately are grey in color, the black ones are hard to find

You think this:
8121_150948376678_550636678_3458330_7780756_n.jpg

Looks better than that?
DSCN3600_copy.jpg

I really dig the S2K wheel in the NSX honestly. I've been looking for a write up for one of these... Now I officially have to add an S2K wheel to the list of things to buy now that I know it's not that difficult. Thanks a bunch ryu!

Nice write up! If I didn't have my current Momo set up, I would definitely look into this.....

:biggrin: Great info, looks good! Of course i may be a bit bias :rolleyes:

also s2ki.com marketplace for the gentleman inquiring about where to come across steering wheels
or encourage your s2k driving friends to upgrade their steering wheels lol

ap2wheelonnsx.jpg

Last edited:
Where are you guys getting your S2K wheels? I can't seem to find them anywhere, and when I do find them they don't have the air bags. :(

Local guy just removed his stock s2000 steering wheel and installed an aftermarket one. Can ask him if hes interested in selling if you like?

I'm making a boss adaptor which will make sure the S2000 wheel is safely attached....not sure I'm happy with the current method due to possible shear loads on four long thin bolts...

It will be aluminum and anodised black...It's designed specifically to be used with the SoS short hub and will still allow cable reel wiring to pass through....I'm intending to hook up my airbag.....and allows cruise etc...

Will post more detail within a week but only making a batch of ten for now....

Last edited:
enigma, no not that wheel, there is a Civic wheel thats totally different, I dont know what year, But will look around for it and get back to you. I saw it on an NSX and it was so Freaking sharp. didnt have all those button, just the regular cruise control thats it, the horns were in the same place to. I thought i saved the pic but will find it later.

the one you showed was ugly, the other wheel does look better in comparison

You think this:
8121_150948376678_550636678_3458330_7780756_n.jpg

Looks better than that?
DSCN3600_copy.jpg

I really dig the S2K wheel in the NSX honestly. I've been looking for a write up for one of these... Now I officially have to add an S2K wheel to the list of things to buy now that I know it's not that difficult. Thanks a bunch ryu!

I think the S2000 wheel looks much better in the NSX than the new Civic Si wheel. The new Civic steering wheel is way to modern.

FWIW, from looking on ebay the RSX wheel sells for a LOT less than the S2K wheel does as well.

edit:
actually now that I look at it, I think the RSX wheel is the same wheel as the S2K, just with a different airbag cover, and maybe a different grain/style leather

Last edited:
just searched around the RSX boards a little bit and can confirm the RSX and S2K wheel are one in the same, the only difference is the airbag

which opens up options like the DC5R wheel

K20A450-01.JPG

now THAT would look sharp, especially with some zanardi floor mats

I have a s2000 steering wheel and airbag I'm willing to sale if someone is interested...

I should be doing this soon!

found a guy that is selling an RSX wheel locally for $75! :biggrin::biggrin:

I am picking it up on sunday, I went ahead and ordered the steering hub today :cool:

I do not understand this statement. :confused:
Ken,

The AP1 S2k airbag is a single stage airbag the same as the NSX. The AP2 S2k is a two-stage which is not compatible w/o mods. I have the AP1 so it's possible to hook up the wiring and theoretically allow deployment of the airbag.

The decision not to wire this up was purely a personal decision. My rationale was that the seating position in an S2k (I use to have one) is different than the seating position in my NSX. I suspect the deploy pattern and size of airbag between the two are different enough that I could risk injuring myself if that S2k bag did go off with the wrong deployment pattern. If it deploys too high I could break my neck. If too low I could possibly choke. Then again it could be a non-issue. The point is... I just don't know.

I have no scientific basis for this because frankly I don't want to spend the money or time to research this anymore so you guys can decide on your own. So it might be a non-issue. I just didn't want to take the risk.

Last edited:
Your logic makes total sense. I dont blame you for not hooking up the bag. Being that there's no real way to tell the exact pattern of the deployment I would rather risk have no air bag than possibly causing more injury to myself by having it rigged up.

Back