• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Safe to drive cross-country using 5W30 oil?

According to the service manual, 10W30 is recommended for use in temperatures of 0 degrees F and above; 5W30 is recommended only for use below freezing.

I would ask the dealer to change it for you. They might not stock 10W30, since the NSX is (I think) the only model for which it is the preferred viscosity. To make it easy on them, you might want to pick up the 10W30 oil yourself (Wal-Mart has the best prices on Mobil 1 and Pennzoil Platinum synthetic)...

The owners manual calls for 10W30 (so use that if you can), but 5W30 works just fine in the NSX.

There was a thread on here a couple of months ago discussing 10W30 vs. 5W30 and the general consensus was that although it's not specified by the owners manual, 5W30 will not cause any problems for your car.

OTOH, if you are not comfortable with the thought of 5W30 being in there vs. 10W30, then the cost of a 2nd oil change is inexpensive enough for peace of mind.

If it were my car (and my $20,000 engine), I wouldn't take any chances. Even if I had to pay for it, I would spend the $30-50 and get the oil changed to the proper viscosity. Especially if I were planning a cross-country trip in the middle of the summer, which means more heat for the engine as well as the fact that any problems are likely to be on the road in the middle of nowhere, and thus will be much more inconvenient to deal with. Remember, Acura's recommendation is for the thicker viscosity in warm temperatures and thinner only in cold temperatures, and you're planning a trip when the temperatures will be the warmest of all.

However, it's your car; do whatever you think best.

mickeylex said:
5W30 will not cause any problems for your car.
You sound very sure of yourself in second-guessing Honda's engineers. Perhaps you would be willing to provide him with a guarantee, and pay for any problems that occur to his car? :smile:

Hey Allen,

I am running 5w and it's about as hot as its going to get. 103 here in dallas today, so I don't think changing it would be necessary. However, for peace of mind, Dallas Dodge has mobil 1 for 3.95 a quart. So far the best deal in town.

Sam~

There is absoluteuly NO risk to your engine using 5W30 instead of 10W30.
I'll repeat myself for those of you that are reading comprehension impaired.
There is absoluteuly NO risk to your engine using 5W30 instead of 10W30.

The only difference in the oils is that the 5W will flow slightly better in extreme cold conditions. At the normal operating temperature of an NSX motor either oil isn't anywhere near its limit of protection and thermal breakdown. To them it's just a kiddie ride.

Relax and have a safe drive.

nsxtasy said:
You sound very sure of yourself in second-guessing Honda's engineers. Perhaps you would be willing to provide him with a guarantee, and pay for any problems that occur to his car? :smile:

Honda's engineers will be the first one to tell you that the 5W30 oil is actually superior to the 10W30 since it maintains it's viscosity over a broader range of temperatures meaning it has a higher Viscosity Index. The VI is a petroleum industry term indicating the relative quality of a lubricating oil. The higher the VI, the higher quality the oil.

In the real world, your engine won't know the difference and the suggestion that a person could risk damage to their engine by using 5W30 oil is beyond ludicrous.

My friend's BMW M5 used 5W30. There is nothing wrong with using it for the ride. Hugh nailed it.

nsxtasy said:

Ah, c'mon Ken, I think you might have missed the first part of the sentence:

"There was a thread on here a couple of months ago discussing 10W30 vs. 5W30 and the general consensus was that although it's not specified by the owners manual, 5W30 will not cause any problems for your car." :smile:

Hugh said:
Honda's engineers will be the first one to tell you that the 5W30 oil is actually superior to the 10W30 since it maintains it's viscosity over a broader range of temperatures meaning it has a higher Viscosity Index.
So you are quoting Honda's engineers as the authority here? Fine. Their advice is not to use 5W30 in the NSX at temperatures above freezing.

At full temp they both run at 30W right?? It is only at cold start up that the viscosity is different. So in reality 5/30 should be better all year long as you will get better lubrication at startup with it. Was 5/30 avail when the NSX came out in 91??

docmarmo said:
At full temp they both run at 30W right?? It is only at cold start up that the viscosity is different. So in reality 5/30 should be better all year long as you will get better lubrication at startup with it. Was 5/30 avail when the NSX came out in 91??

I was just about to add my nickel in and you posted your! At high temps, they both are 30W. Its the low temps when they thin out.:wink:

hahah sorry about that.

But yes if I remember correctly 5/30 was (and you can correct me if I am wrong) non exsistent in 1991. As far as I know all news cars seem to recommend this viscosity now.

I have run 5/30 Mobil 1 in my car for years with no problems...:smile:

docmarmo said:
if I remember correctly 5/30 was (and you can correct me if I am wrong) non exsistent in 1991.
Nonsense.

The recommendations for the NSX are distinctly different from those for other Honda/Acura vehicles. For many years (since at least the 1980s), Honda has recommended 5W30 as preferred at all temperatures for most of their other vehicles, and 10W30 as also acceptable at temperatures above 20 degrees F, until the past year or two, when they started recommending 5W20.

However, their recommendations for the NSX are different: 10W30 for temperatures above 0 degrees F, 5W30 for temperatures below freezing. And those recommendations have been the same since the NSX was introduced in 1990.

docmarmo said:
As far as I know all news cars seem to recommend this viscosity now.
For the past couple of years, Honda has been recommending 5W20 for most of its Honda and Acura vehicles.

You can argue all you want, and you can use whatever oil you want in your NSX, but one fact remains: Honda does NOT recommend using 5W30 viscosity in the NSX at temperatures above freezing.

Thanks Ken for the kind correction to my incorrect information. :wink:

But I do know that at operating temp the viscosity is the same 30/30, so I am comfortable running this oil. And most new Acuras cars running 20 weight, wow!!

I was changing the oil in my vehicles tonight and I consulted my manuals as usual. Honda puts really useful info in these silly things.

This is from my 1996 NSX-T:
NSX-Oil001.gif

NSX-Oil002.gif

My 2002 TL-S manual also recommends 5W-20, which I'm sure my car was happy to get.

Anyway, have fun on your trip.

If it were my lawnmower this discussion would be moot. If it were my NSX, then go with what Honda reccommends. Now is not the time to go cheap. The dealer should replace the oil at no charge. Fercryinoutloud, it's an NSX boy, not yer mammas Civic!:biggrin:

Ken's right.

5W-30 did exist in 1991...my 1991 Acura Legend manual requests 5w-30 for the Legend motor...which by the way is similar to the NSX motor...from what I understand...

The only new oils to the market...from what I understand...is the addition of 0w-30 oils...

I have used the NEO oils 5w-30 on my 1991 NSX and drove on the track and cross country...

I now use 20w-50 oils synthetic blend in my NSX because I only drive it in the summer and also the added protection in the higher RPM range...

Sax is correct...

whatisreal7 said:
Stupid dealership put in 5W30 accidentally, and since we're in the heat of summer, I'm wondering if 15+ hours of straight driving is safe while I'm running on 5W30.
Goodson Acura?!? :confused:

My NSX was Goodson Acura serviced for most of it's maintenance history, and all oil-changes were done w/ 5W30. It was perhaps due to the fact that other in-house vehicles required 5W30 instead of 10W30, and therefore they stocked the former viscosity.

unlemming said:
Have you guys read what I posted or did you tune out when I said "owner's manual"? :)

Of course we tuned it out. It's wrong. Then again there are folks out there that like to selectively decide what they do or don't agree with in an owner's manual and defend it to the death. The same owner's manual warns against using different tires, wheels, this, that and the other thing.....blah blah blah. God forbid we mod our cars or the great Samurai Mod Nazi will descend from the skies and lop off our heads in one swift swipe of his sword.

It's a corporate document that's given final approval by lawyers for God's sake. Just a basic amount of common sense and mental lucidity should quickly enable a person, especially an automobile enthisiast, to filter out the bullshit component.

Remember now who the NSX was originally marketed to....
That's right kids, the same folks who were buying Ferraris and other high priced European exotica. For the most part they are posers and have a 95% automotive illiteracy rate. The NSX's owners manual was written with this in mind. To protect them from themselves.

Hugh said:
nono.gif

I am continually amazed by the amount of ignorance, false statements, and bad information that get posted on the internet. And this post is one of the worst I've seen on NSXprime in a long time.

Hugh, can you please describe your engineering background, and why you think you know better than Honda's entire engineering department that developed the NSX? Or do you think they decide on such things by tossing a dart at a dartboard and seeing where it lands? :rolleyes:

nsxtasy said:
I am continually amazed by the amount of ignorance, false statements, and bad information that get posted on the internet. And this post is one of the worst I've seen on NSXprime in a long time.

Hugh, can you please describe your engineering background, and why you think you know better than Honda's entire engineering department that developed the NSX? Or do you think they decide on such things by tossing a dart at a dartboard and seeing where it lands? :rolleyes:

Please, I'm not trying to turn this discussion into a mud-sling fest. I rationally explained my reasons for why I think the owner's manual says what it says. My engineering backround is minimal. I attended the top engineering colleges in the country but that's neither here nor there. it is not my only my opinion but the consensus of many respected engine builders, tuners and other enthusiasts who do possess engineering degress that using a 5W30 oil in an NSX is completely safe. Simply having a basic understanding of oil viscosities and quality ratings tells you that it's perfectly safe.

I respect your opinion, I have the right to disagree with it and state my reasons why. Simply quoting the onwer's manual is not going to change my opinion. Please state valid technical reasons why you think this oil is not suitable other than quoting a sentence in a manual written a long long long time ago in a galaxy far far away.

Thanks!

Back